PDA

View Full Version : Woooo Hoooo! I'm off on an unexpected trip to Hong Kong!

ktoopi
14-04-2013, 8:20am
Hi Everyone

As my title suggests, I am off to Hong Kong.....a surprise from my hubby who has a meeting there next week. As it is school holidays, he is taking our daughter and I with him.

I have been doing quite a lot of research about shopping for camera gear over there and it is overwhelming to say the least! We are staying at the Hong Kong Sheratin Towers on Nathan Rd Kowloon. My research tells me do not go shopping for camera stuff on Nathan Rd as it is tourist rip off central!!

I have been reading Roland Lims guide to shopping in Hong Kong which is very useful but was wondering if anyone here has had recent experinces there/lived there and has any insider information on places that are safe to purchase from and or things that are a must see do!

Cheers Karen:):)
ps VERY excited

ameerat42
14-04-2013, 9:46am
1. Take a pea-soup piercing radar emitter and remove the radar blocking filter from your camera.
2. Stick to that advice about buying camera gear.
3. Enjoy the public transport - esp the trains - and wonder why Sydney can't have the like.

Apart from that, make sure you pack a pretty (or ugly) wide-as-you-can angle lens.
Oh, 4. Have a good trip.

Am.

Mark L
14-04-2013, 10:45pm
I'm in the market for a Canon 10-22 and Kenko Pro 300 DG 2.0x Teleconverter. We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee. :D
Hope others are more helpful and enjoy your shopping Karen.

- - - Updated - - -

We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee. :D

mmm, that could be taken the wrong way. "We" is my better half and I. "You" x2, if he can make it.
Anyway, I'll trust you to get the best price you can for my new equipment.:th3:

ameerat42
15-04-2013, 7:57am
Just an adjunct. Now it's been some 18 months, but unless a heap of history has happened that I am unaware of, I can't remember seeing any
"great bargains" or standout prices in my meanderings through many photo-stores in both Singapore and in HK.
Now I could be wrong! But I would not get too many expectation up about what you can hope to buy as bargains compared to/from here.
Am.:o

ktoopi
15-04-2013, 8:13am
I'm in the market for a Canon 10-22 and Kenko Pro 300 DG 2.0x Teleconverter. We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee. :D
Hope others are more helpful and enjoy your shopping Karen.

- - - Updated - - -:lol:Nice try Mark:D

mmm, that could be taken the wrong way. "We" is my better half and I. "You" x2, if he can make it.
Anyway, I'll trust you to get the best price you can for my new equipment.:th3:

JM Tran
15-04-2013, 2:15pm
Having worked and lived in HK and go there still every 6 months, I can say its cheaper to buy from DWI in Aus than going into any camera store in HK, even the best ones.

Since you are there you can check out Wing Shing Cameras on Sai Yeung Choi St, Mong Kok, they are very good, but still not as cheap as DWI - which is kinda ironic since they are also from HK, but less overheads being online I guess.

ktoopi
15-04-2013, 3:02pm
Having worked and lived in HK and go there still every 6 months, I can say its cheaper to buy from DWI in Aus than going into any camera store in HK, even the best ones.

Since you are there you can check out Wing Shing Cameras on Sai Yeung Choi St, Mong Kok, they are very good, but still not as cheap as DWI - which is kinda ironic since they are also from HK, but less overheads being online I guess.

Hi JM Tran thanks for the info......I had already begun to realise what you are telling me after looking at some websites that tell you the current street price of camera gear in Hong Kong. eglobal has the 5diii for $2549!!!! at the moment. would be hard to beat that price:)

courty
15-04-2013, 4:22pm
I'd be buying from DWI/EGlobal and concentrating on trying as much awesome food as I could fit in:D

ktoopi
15-04-2013, 4:26pm
I'd be buying from DWI/EGlobal and concentrating on trying as much awesome food as I could fit in:D

Thanks Courty! I will definitely be cramming in as much delicious authentic food as i can!!! I would say at least 70-80% of my everyday cooking is Asian or Asian style food!!!:D