PDA

View Full Version : Assistance required with Tripod ring mount

Geoff Port
02-04-2013, 6:06pm
Hey all,
I recently purchased a 100 mm EF f2.8 USM MACRO. I found it a tad too front heavy when tripod mounted so I purchased a Canon Tripod Ring Mount (D).
My problem is that it is too tight a fit and I cannot engage the locking pin. I have checked and rechecked the model and I have definitely purchased the correct unit.
Is there a trick to mounting these things onto the lens?
Geoff Port

nardes
02-04-2013, 6:15pm
Hi Geoff

I just had a look at my Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro lens (not the L version) and on its Tripod Mounting Ring it writes Tripod Mount B and not D.

Is D for the L version?

Cheers

Dennis

Geoff Port
03-04-2013, 8:31am
Hey Dennis, I am totally confused now. The blurb on the eglobal website definitely says that the the D mount is the correct version for the EF 100mm Macro not the L version. The Canon box says for EF lens accessories Tripod Mount Ring D (B). The Canon website was of little help.
As Maxwell Smart once said "It missed by that much". Nearly fits but not quite.
It appears obvious after viewing your photo that I have the wrong mount. :(
Now will come the battle to return it. :(:(
Thanks for your assistance.

unistudent1962
03-04-2013, 9:38am
I've been using one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camera-Tripod-Mount-Ring-Support-Collar-for-Canon-EF-100mm-F2-8-USM-Macro-Lens-/271112380951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f1f8ea217
on my Canon EF 100 f2.8 Macro (non-L) since 2011 without any problems.
It's marked as a Tripod Ring A (W).
I also bought a hood http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lens-Hood-ET-67-Canon-EE-100mm-f-2-8mm-USM-/200598614590?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item2eb49bf23e.
I simply can't justify the ridiculous prices of the Genuine Canon parts.

nardes
03-04-2013, 10:42am
Hi Geoff

Hope you manage to get the correct replacement part soon. Here is a screen print from the Canon 100mm F2.8 macro (non-L) manual/brochure.

I purchased the genuine Canon product as I personally feel more comfortable with the OEM equipment for accessories such as these, despite the higher price. I think mine came from DDP when they had a store in Brisbane and ran a special on these rings, narrowing the price differential so it was more palatable.

Cheers

Dennis

Geoff Port
05-04-2013, 8:59am
Awww! Crikey Mark, $7:95 :eek::eek::eek::eek: I've layed out $195 delivered and it STILL won't fit. If only I'd done a more througher check on eBay :(:(:(

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this info Dennis. I'm still working on replacing the mount I have purchased. Waiting on a reply from eGlobal. I don't recall any instructions like you have supplied here. I'm presuming it came with the lens. Will have to investigate the bow. :)

unistudent1962
05-04-2013, 10:11am
The eBay product is also less complicated, as there's no "adapter" needed. If this product hadn't done the job, I doubt that I'd ever have been able to justify spending $180+ for the genuine product, given it's about a third of the cost of the lens!!!

I can understand Canon charging the prices they do for lenses, bodies, flashes, grips etc, but I'm afraid that gouging the customer for items such as this is completely unacceptable.

nardes
05-04-2013, 2:53pm
Awww! Crikey Mark, $7:95 :eek::eek::eek::eek: I've layed out $195 delivered and it STILL won't fit. If only I'd done a more througher check on eBay :(:(:(

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this info Dennis. I'm still working on replacing the mount I have purchased. Waiting on a reply from eGlobal. I don't recall any instructions like you have supplied here. I'm presuming it came with the lens. Will have to investigate the bow. :)

Hi Geoff

I have the 580EX II flash hanging off an arm attached to an aluminium ring, which is itself attached to the lens plate/collar. I use the ring as a handle during macro photography and also for handling the rig, so there is a bit of extra weight and leverage on the lens collar compared to when just mounting it on a tripod head.

I decided that I have more confidence in Canon’s design, manufacturing and materials control for the tripod ring, with the additional weight and handling stresses I place on the collar, so for me it was a no-brainer; I had the funds at the time and DDP had a special so it wasn’t too painful a decision.

There is a point where the Canon rrp price is simply unpalatable, so when I decide that I want the Canon accessory rather than a 3rd party unit, I usually wait until a dealer has a special and then make a purchase. So far I've been lucky!:)

Cheers

Dennis

Geoff Port
10-04-2013, 5:43pm
For all those that replied to my original post the news is that eGlobal are taking the two mounts back, supplying me with the correct mount and a refund for one of the returns. Apparently their catalogue was incorrect.
Yea eGlobal! :D:D:D:D