PDA

View Full Version : What do all these terms really mean?

bobt
18-03-2013, 2:53pm
When one competes at a national level there seem to be various levels of success which I don't really understand such as :-

APS MENTION

FIAP ACCEPTANCES

APS ACCEPTANCES

What do they really mean? Accepted for what? Mentioned where? I just won a couple and have no idea really what significance they are - Booby prizes? Also-rans ? Not the very bottom but OK ? Not being a very competitive type I haven't really figured out the hierarchy of awards - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd I understand - but these??? Any of you more regular competitors able to enlighten me?

Mathy
19-03-2013, 1:15am
Hi Bob, I googled and found this http://www.a-p-s.org.au/index.php/honours-points-and-definitions Might be a good starting point :confused013 I must say, they don't sound like 'bad' things, cheers Deb

bobt
19-03-2013, 10:25am
Excellent! Thanks for that - after 54 views I was beginning to think no-one had any ideas. Normally I Google everything, but I thought I'd find someone here who knew more.

It's an odd system (to me anyway). As you say, it's not a bad thing, but it also seems a pretty odd system. I'm sure they could have thought of something more obvious or self-explanatory. I often hear of people being chuffed by "acceptances", but it doesn't feel to me like a terribly worthwhile award. Maybe I'm just used to things like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc which everyone understands.

Thanks for that anyway - I'll log that in my leaky memory banks.

fillum
19-03-2013, 11:06am
I dunno Bob, "acceptances" sound good, but a "mention" sounds like you might have committed some misdemeanor, perhaps one sherry too many on club night :D.

My (pretty vague) understanding is that each entry in a comp receives points, with only those images receiving over a certain number of points being "accepted" to be displayed. So an acceptance means that you have achieved a certain number of points (as well as others getting to view your work). I guessing, but a "mention" might be like an "honourable mention" where an image is considered quite good but hasn't been given an award?

Anyway congrats on the achievements (I think :))...

Cheers.

bobt
19-03-2013, 11:14am
Anyway congrats on the achievements (I think :))...
Cheers.

Thanks ... I think that sums it up pretty well. If an "award" is meant to be a good thing, I reckon making it sound valuable is a good idea. If you asked your girlfriend how you rated and she said "acceptable", I don't know that I'd be turning cartwheels! :lol:

Mark L
19-03-2013, 10:23pm
......., I reckon making it sound valuable is a good idea. If you asked your girlfriend how you rated and she said "acceptable", I don't know that I'd be turning cartwheels! :lol:

Could be better than what she may mention. :confused013

mudman
20-03-2013, 10:07am
had me confused.
i thought APS stood for Australian Psychological Society :D

bobt
20-03-2013, 10:10am
had me confused.
i thought APS stood for Australian Psychological Society :D

Yeah, well that fits ... I think I must suffer from OCD which to a photographer means "Obsessive Camera Disorder" :D

Steve Axford
20-03-2013, 10:54am
Thanks ... I think that sums it up pretty well. If an "award" is meant to be a good thing, I reckon making it sound valuable is a good idea. If you asked your girlfriend how you rated and she said "acceptable", I don't know that I'd be turning cartwheels! :lol:

Depends on her body language at the time. ;)