PDA

View Full Version : Oh, what do I buy?

Villida
12-02-2013, 8:31pm
I am looking at buying myself a new camera. I am not a professional so a D4 I think may be a bit of an extravagence. On the other hand it is my hobby so why not spend a bit of money and get something special. I love bird photography and almost all my work is outside. I currently use a very reliable D90 and an equally robust D50.

I am considering buying an 800e.
1. It seems like a good compromise
2. It looks like a damn fine camera
3. It looks like excellent value for money (even without hunting for a special)
BUT
It is newish and I have no idea if it is as good as it sounds.

A third option is a second D90 body.

D4, 800e, second D90? The 800e is favourite at the moment. I would like to hear what others think. Specs and spin are not as reliable as hands on experience.

So many models, so much information, so little money to blow on a bad choice.

ricktas
12-02-2013, 8:41pm
First question, WHY? What is the new camera going to do for your photography?

We have only seen one photo (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?116807-First-Photo) from you so far, and from the critiques of that, your current gear is providing you with great results. So what do you think a new camera is going to allow you that your current gear cannot?

When you can answer that, such that we agree with you, then you are ready to upgrade.

I @ M
12-02-2013, 8:42pm
so a D4 I think may be a bit of an extravagence.

It is only an extravagance if the wallet won't back it up. :D

Seriously ---
tell us more about the type of photography that you want to pursue other than birds.
tell us more about what lenses you have.
tell us why you aren't considering a D700, D7000 or even a D300s even though it might be replaced soon.