PDA

View Full Version : a well packaged lens

MattNQ
12-02-2013, 5:51pm
I've had my overworked 9-18mm lens in getting repaired by Olympus.
It arrived back today safe and sound...but perhaps a little over-packaged ??
I guess you can never be too careful :D

Not sure how many Li batteries they think might be in a lens :confused013 but we were warned all the same by a large friendly label.

I @ M
12-02-2013, 5:58pm
Matt, that kind of post is a very welcome reassurance to people sending lenses away for repair etc.
I for one appreciate firms taking time to do the whole job properly.

MattNQ
12-02-2013, 6:19pm
I have to say that the Olympus repair centre were a pleasure to deal with.
My lens was bought from B&H in the US, but this was never an issue with Olympus Australia.
It was out of warranty anyway, wherever I bought it.
Prompt correspondence via e-mail & text. They had to order in a part from Japan, but they didn't charge me until the repair was complete a few days ago.
Now I can finally get back to some sunrises & landscapes:)

aussie girl
12-02-2013, 9:44pm
So what exactly went wrong with the lens?? These days, in the throw-away society that we live in, it is often cheaper to buy a new one than get an item fixed, so how did the cost of the repair compare with the cost of a new lens?? Just curious.

MattNQ
13-02-2013, 12:54am
The lens started coming up with error when between 14-18mm when you autofocussed it said "check the status of a lens" and you had to power off the camera to get it working again.
Given I mainly shoot this lens at 9mm it was workable. Then late last year the started doing it at all focal lengths.
The best info I could find on the micro 4/3 forums was the lens needed replacing!:eek:

Olympus quoted about $230 for the repair after inspection. I bought it for $549 from the US about 2 years ago. Given it still retails here for $700-$800, and the used ones still go for about $400-$500 on ebay, I figured it was worth getting repaired for the money.
While not a fast lens, it is a great compact landscape lens I have used a lot. (and the only wide angle I have that I can put filters on) :D

Analog6
13-02-2013, 5:26am
Good to know - a reasonable repair pirce and a decent charging system. I daresay all their boxes just automatically get the battery sticker on them, and I live the 'well packaged' image.