PDA

View Full Version : UV filter price vs quality

hee
09-02-2013, 6:34pm
How important is quality in terms of UV filters?
I'm looking to purchase an appropriate one for new Canon 15-85mm lens and the UV filters seem to vary enormously in price.
For now I've ordered an ebay cheapie just to protect the lens.
Does the price range really reflect an equivalent range in quality or picture outcome or is a cheap one essentially "almost as good" as an expensive Canon one?

Mary Anne
09-02-2013, 6:48pm
I don't use UV filters at all.
Before you spend your hard earned money do read whats on this link My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters) started by one of the Professional Photographers here

William
09-02-2013, 6:49pm
Dont use a UV Filter, Save your money, Degrades images quality, Can be a big problem if you drop or damage your lens , etc , etc we have talked about this before

PS : Mary Anne beat me to it :th3:

Kym
09-02-2013, 6:57pm
Digital cameras do not need a UV filter, a lens hood does a MUCH better protective job.

The ONLY case for a protective filter is very very very windy conditions with sand.
Maybe in the Sahara at the Dakar rally? :D

hee
09-02-2013, 7:08pm
Thanks guys, especially for that link. Apologies for covering old ground.

Mark L
09-02-2013, 10:47pm

The nature of forums is things come and go. As you've found, you learn if you ask. Enjoy Ap hee. :)

Mathy
09-02-2013, 11:40pm

It's great when people bring these topics to the surface again, good learning for newbies like me, thanks :D, cheers Deb

kanesmadness
10-02-2013, 12:22am
There is a really good video on youtube which actually shows the difference between no UV filter, cheap UV filter and really expensive UV filter and while the difference between the 2 filters is clear the photos without look way better.

If only i watched it before lashing out on the expensive ones *sigh*