PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

JasonR
23-01-2013, 12:00pm
Hey guys I was reading the thread which lens you have used the most and a lot of people seem to use this lens.
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this lens and if you could show me some sample pics.
I was pricing up the Nikon equivilant and for almost $1000 cheaper the sigma seems like a really good option.

Cheers
Jase

ameerat42
23-01-2013, 12:08pm
I guess it's APO and DG, and I found this price for you to compare:
http://www.ryda.com.au/Sigma-Pentax-APO-70-200mm-F2-8-EX-DG-HSM-Telephoto-p/4579961.htm

Don't know anything about it, though. Oh, and here are some specs:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/apo-70-200mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-sigma
Am.

Speedway
23-01-2013, 12:41pm
I have heard nothing but good reports on this lens. I had one on my shopping list for my 7D but at the last minute was able to go to the canon L.
Cheers
Keith.

JasonR
23-01-2013, 1:00pm
I guess it's APO and DG, and I found this price for you to compare:
http://www.ryda.com.au/Sigma-Pentax-APO-70-200mm-F2-8-EX-DG-HSM-Telephoto-p/4579961.htm

That price is the cheapest I have seen.
I'm guessing that doesn't have image stabalization.
Is IS really worth the extra money?

ameerat42
23-01-2013, 1:38pm
You may be right, Jason. The two links seem to be for slightly different versions. I can't see OS written in the "price" link, but the Sigma site link certainly states OS.
It might be worth a call to them to see if they stock the OS version. (???)
Am.

PS. OS/IS? Dunno. NONE of my lenses have it, but I have used (drool) a borrowed 50-500 with OS and I reckon it helped for THAT.

arthurking83
23-01-2013, 1:56pm
[QUOTE=JasonR;1109735.....
Is IS really worth the extra money?[/QUOTE]

YEP! .. sure is.

Roosta
23-01-2013, 2:15pm
Hay Jason,

I use Canon, I'm guessing your with the Nikon brand, either way. Here (http://www.thedigitalpicture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=806&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=621&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0) is a very useful link, albeit, the Sigma lens is mounted to a 1D Canon body and the Nikon 70 - 200 mm on a Nikon D3x

Also a good review here of the (http://www.thedigitalpicture.com/Reviews/Sigma-70-200mm-f-2.8-DG-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx) Sigma lens.

Speedway
23-01-2013, 4:52pm
$984 from DWI a site sponsor. The non OS one is an older model and considered not as good optically as the OS model.
Cheers
Keith.

Rattus79
23-01-2013, 5:02pm
Hey Jason,

I have the APO EX DG HSM MACRO version, and It's just great. Sharp enough to get paper cuts from, Focus is quick, quiet and responsive, the only real downfall is the weight. but all 2.8 zoom lenses are heavy. (Mine's the non-OS, but I shoot Pentax which has OS in body)

If you want some good examples, you can feel free to check out my flickr stream, or I have a couple of threads on AP that include shots from it too.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?116007-A-trip-down-the-Mekong-River
and
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?109584-Shots-from-my-new-Sigma-70-200-2-8-APO-EX-DG-HSM-MACRO

crafty1tutu
23-01-2013, 7:42pm
I bought the non IS version for my Canon 50D whilst in Hong Kong and maybe I just bought a dud, but I had nothing but trouble with the AF. It was in for repairs 14 times in 12 months and was eventually replaced by Sigma, Japan. I had read a lot of reviews about the 150-500 lens that had the same problem that were recalled, so maybe there was a batch of the 70-200 2.8 as well. The new one worked perfectly, but my hubby told me to sell it and he would put the extra in for a Canon version. When the Sigma worked though, the photos were very good.

JasonR
23-01-2013, 8:01pm
Thanks for all the input guys.
I have the 150-500 sigma and I was impressed with that.
Might go into a store and see if I can have a play with one.

scarlet artemis
26-01-2013, 3:24pm
I use the sigma 70-200 as my telefoto and all the shots I have got from it so far are fantastic compared to the quality from the Pentax kit lens which is my other lens atm...tried shooting a photo of the moon with it last night and wasn't impressed with it - but then it was prob just my settings :)

dulvariprestige
26-01-2013, 11:27pm
I've had both the non-OS and OS models, and the OS version is a much better lens IQ wise, and I also like the zoom ring being at the front of the lens, and yes, stabilisation is worth it

Here are some of my shots with this lens, http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulvariprestige/sets/72157627504832193/

arthurking83
27-01-2013, 6:19am
....tried shooting a photo of the moon with it last night and wasn't impressed with it - but then it was prob just my settings :)

200mm is a tad short for 'full bodied' moon shots. That is, if you want detail in the moon visible and the moon to have any prominence in the framing.

Wayne63
27-01-2013, 8:40am
$950 from eglobal as well, a site sponsor

rowdy23
27-01-2013, 10:47am
i have the new is version .
for canon though
i love it
very good lens

scarlet artemis
28-01-2013, 9:30pm
thanks arthur :) I took a photo of a huge pink moon sitting above the horizon at about 6:30pm before a storm a few nights ago - the moon filled about 1/3 of the frame and I got some detail on it, I was happy with it for a first go...just a heavy lens and pain to lug with tripod

arthurking83
29-01-2013, 12:38am
LOL!(about the pain to lug around)

But!!! if you want detail in the moon's surface, it's best not to photograph it close to the horizon. The 'thicker' atmosphere causes mayhem with allowing the light forming rays to form sharply onto your sensor!

best time for detail renderings is when the moon is higher .. clear night, cold-ish weather .. no fog/clouds/etc of course.

Moon along the horizon makes for a great image, that's for sure, but not really for achieving great detail in the moon.

I went out last night specifically looking for spots to photograph the 'moonrise' and got somehow distracted along the way.
I left and headed north at about 2-3PM with a few spots in mind, if I don't stumble on some other location, but on the way up, I got distracted with some fires up north, roughly in the area I was kind'a headed.
In the end it turned out that the fire was plenty far enough for me(but too close for comfort for those in it's line of fire! :eek:) ... and along the way I went here and there and didn't really find any spot of any real worth. But the problem was that I totally forgot about the actual moon rise! I was just casually loping about up in the mountains and then I noticed the moon up in the sky .. AHHH! I forgot, and I didn't really find any place nice to stop for a shot of any value. I got off about two or three images for the night. They ended up OK, but not really happy with 'em.

anyhow.. happy hunting.

Puzz1e
29-01-2013, 12:53am
Definitely get the OS/IS version. The stabilisation is a factor at the longer focal length. As said previously, the IQ is apparently also better on the newer models.

I was tossing up between the Nikon and Sigma for a long time and ended up getting the Nikon since I found a second hand (but flawless/brand new) one at a good price. Otherwise, the Sigma is very nice for the price.

Epicaricacy
10-02-2013, 7:32pm
Great lens, fast focus, sharp. 5diii. Great lens, fast focus, sharp.Mainly used at the moment to photo my kids sport. I did some at the Perth Heat baseball, but am not allowed to post them here due to ticket t & c. Follow this link though...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/epicaricacy/8220896384/in/set-72157631680920431

JasonR
24-02-2013, 12:25am
Thanks for the input guys. Called the local store and they are ordering one in for me to have a play with.
I was also reading up on the nikkor 70-200 f4.
Would the faster 2.8 sigma be better than the f4 nikkor?

ameerat42
24-02-2013, 3:29pm
1st up: Image quality and build quality. (And I certainly second the value of good OS/IS/VR...)
OK, is the f/2.8 still giving you the good IQ of other settings?
Am.

arthurking83
24-02-2013, 4:20pm
Would the faster 2.8 sigma be better than the f4 nikkor?

in many situations where light is questionable, and hence exposure could be lacking .. even the lower resolution of the f/2.8 Sigma(compared to the apparent superior Nikon f/4) may in fact prove to be a significant advantage to have at your disposal.

With the f/2.8, you always have that extra one stop of exposure at your disposal.

Epoc
24-02-2013, 4:38pm
I have had the older version for a few years. It a great lens for the money. I just updated to the OS version as it came along at an unresistable price. The newer version is a tad sharper but the OS is awesome. It now makes this lens fantastic in low light. 1/30th sec and possibly a tad slower with a steady hand is tack sharp. The OS version can be had for around $1K grey now. Brilliant bang for your $ :)

Just thought I'd add, AF is fast and accurate on both models. It's one of my favourite lenses and a long time keeper, so much so I just bought a LensCoat to keep it in good nick!

JasonR
24-02-2013, 10:58pm
I'd probably be better if with the siggy if I decided to use a teleconverter.

ameerat42
25-02-2013, 11:05am
Jason. Just be careful when choosing a lens and a teleconverter. If you're talking about the Σ70-200, first have a look at
THIS CHART (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/20x-teleconverter-ex-apo-dg) to check compatibility with Σ teleconverters.

Σ have changed the layout of their lens site recently - MUCH for the worse! You have to squint now.
Am.

JasonR
26-02-2013, 8:43am
Cheers Ameerat. The lens will work with both the 1.4x and the 2x. I wasn't sure from reading the chart so I emailed them instead v

Rattus79
27-02-2013, 1:11pm
Cheers Ameerat. The lens will work with both the 1.4x and the 2x. I wasn't sure from reading the chart so I emailed them instead v

So I wasn't the only one who couldn't understand that chart then! Good!

ameerat42
03-03-2013, 6:49pm
Greg! That's progress. Clear and simple before, convoluted now! :(m

enduro
04-07-2013, 10:57pm
I can't tell you anything about the Nikon lens .... but that's not going to stop me typing!

The Sigma 70-200mm produces some excellent results for full frame (ie you are not cropping much out of the image). It even produces great results if you are cropping 25% off the image, after that you will get the best image the lens can produce, which may not be the best image your camera can produce. This might be the ideal lens for you, so don't eliminate it from you list. It would be great for sports photography, stage performance in low light, an all round shooter for what ever you might like to use if for, but it is not a professional quality lens. But it is very good.

I sold my Siggy 70-200mm last year for about 80% of what I bought it for 6 years ago and purchased the Canon 70-200mm MkII with all the bells and whistles. It is a MUCH better lens, super sharp and does a great job on the front of my 5DmkIII.

Knowing Nikon, they produce excellent lenses (most of the time - just like Canon, they have some duds) but you do need to purchase based on your current needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and a word about IS/OS or whatever.

IMHO (I'm not very humble actually), images stabilization, like Goretex boots, is a bit of a waste of time and money.

Until the last year, I have never purchased a IS lens and never needed it! Current (last three years and last 12mo in particular) cameras are capable of producing excellent full frame images at ISO 5000 in poor light conditions, WITHOUT Image Stabilization.

IS takes a while to kick in so don't expect it to fire up straight away and it chews up you batteries faster too!

What's more: if you are after "PRO results", you will be shooting with a tripod anyway and switching IS off as it is actually detrimental when on a tripod.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and a word about IS/OS or whatever.

IMHO (I'm not very humble actually), images stabilization, like Goretex boots, is a bit of a waste of time and money.

Until the last year, I have never purchased a IS lens and never needed it! Current (last three years and last 12mo in particular) cameras are capable of producing excellent full frame images at ISO 5000 in poor light conditions, WITHOUT Image Stabilization.

IS takes a while to kick in so don't expect it to fire up straight away and it chews up you batteries faster too!

What's more: if you are after "PRO results", you will be shooting with a tripod anyway and switching IS off as it is actually detrimental when on a tripod.

Lurchorama
08-07-2013, 11:42pm
Have the Sigma 2.8 EX DG OS HSM for my D800. I did a stack of research for this over the Nikon equivalent. Essentially 99.9% the performance for half the cost.
Zero complaints from me.
And at those focal lengths, OS/IS/VR/VC does make a difference when handheld. Especially considering 200mm isn't really THAT long and is a great length to hand hold.
And unless your a brand snob; you'll love it.

JasonR
09-07-2013, 11:21am
Cheers lurchorama.
I just ordered mine yesterday from my local shop they have it for $1099 which I thought was a good price for a local store. Which is cheaper than a few grey stores.
Looking forward to have a go with it.

manohartvs
09-07-2013, 11:53am
I have heard good things about the Tamron 70-200 as well? Maybe worth researching into the Tamron as well? Not sure which of the two lenses are superior though.

Does anyone have experience with the Tammy equivalent?

JasonR
09-07-2013, 1:49pm
The only thing that put me off the tamron is the push pull focus mechanism.

dulvariprestige
12-07-2013, 9:36pm
Jason the push pull focus was on the old version, the new VC has a switch :th3: