PDA

View Full Version : Watermarking

ricktas
21-01-2013, 6:40am
Watermarking, that thing we do to put our name or details onto our photographs. Some of us put them in a corner, others put then across the centre of the photo, but then if you were really concerned about copyright and image use, you could put them all over your photos.

http://gingerstarfishphotography.wordpress.com/photos/

Just click a photo to see what I mean. Would this be something you would consider?

I @ M
21-01-2013, 7:11am
Nearly made me :vomit1:

extraball
21-01-2013, 7:47am
spoiled the image for me, the photographer may have done great work, but it's lost under watermarks

Kym
21-01-2013, 8:13am
The only way to protect images online (and even that is not perfect) is to heavily watermark the important parts of the image.
A few years ago I posted some images of a celebrity on AP, we had a rush of people joining, I then edited the images with an ugly watermark. :cool:
Normally I don't bother.

Warren Ackary
21-01-2013, 8:59am
Kym.. my wife & I naturally have 2 seperate watermarks.. a joint one for when we both shoot the same thing & of course the AP watermark.

Whats your thoughts on an image or just go with plain text? We are using plain text at the moment as neither of us a good enough to make something in Photoshop to use.
Then of course there is the decision.. does the joint one go across middle of the image when uploaded to the site (so it cant be reused) or not?
Our own personal ones naturally go where we know they wont attract someone from viewing the image

ktoopi
21-01-2013, 10:38am
Hmmm....i can understand why it is done but definitely spoiled the images

Chromo
21-01-2013, 12:58pm
Too much watermarking! I can't 'see' the image because the watermark is so distracting / disruptive, so what's the point of uploading them if you can't view enough of it to get a feel for it?
I get the concerns about theft, I really do, but this is a step too far IMO and would make me choose a different photog (if I was in the market) because I can't get a feel for the photogs work.

ameerat42
21-01-2013, 2:54pm
The pictures REALLY SPOIL the watermarks!!!

SamNabz
21-01-2013, 6:00pm
I can appreciate the fact that photographers use large/noticeable watermarking to ensure the safety of their image(s). However, too much watermarking definitely ruins photos, to the point where some viewers would either skim through them or skip them altogether.

It's sad that we must always worry about images being stolen and/or used dishonestly, ruins it for everyone I guess...

Crysis
21-01-2013, 10:33pm
I was going to ask about watermaking my images.
First let me say I don't think I am in the class where my photos are of a class to be stolen.
I think it is sort of like me letting everyone know that I took this shot.
make it easier to understand sort of like a male dog marking is territory by cocking his leg.
I have been working on about 15 designs since I got corel pro5x.
But I still had to work out heaps on my own to get one working.
So I am still a little unsure if I should go with one or not.

ricktas
22-01-2013, 6:07am
I was going to ask about watermaking my images.
First let me say I don't think I am in the class where my photos are of a class to be stolen.
I think it is sort of like me letting everyone know that I took this shot.
make it easier to understand sort of like a male dog marking is territory by cocking his leg.
I have been working on about 15 designs since I got corel pro5x.
But I still had to work out heaps on my own to get one working.
So I am still a little unsure if I should go with one or not.

I would say, yes, go with one. Just put one in the corner of your photos. Whilst as you say your photos are not in a class to be stolen, you might be amazed how a photo you do not say is 'in the class' is found by someone who loves it and wants a copy. I sold a beach photo to a lady simply because her husband proposed to her on that beach. I even offered to go out and shoot it again during a nice sunset, but she wanted the photo I had, cause it reminded her of what the beach looked like on the day she was proposed to. So just cause you may think your photos are not in the class, watermark them, cause then someone who wants one, is more likely to be able to find you on the net. Watermarking for me is more about marketing, than protection.

Speedway
22-01-2013, 8:04am
If the images on that site weren't so large there would be no need to watermark them so heavily completely destroying the photos IMO.
this looks like the work of a very paranoid person.
Cheers
Keith.

Rattus79
22-01-2013, 9:42am
Watermarking isn't just about stopping theft.

It's also about brand recognition. Most people here could spot one of Dylans photos by the watermark alone. (if not by the processiing/style)

Personally, I do have a watermark, I'm just too lazy to include it in most of my shots. I really need to spend time to streamline my workflow.

Crysis
22-01-2013, 4:26pm
As I have said I have been playing about with a couple of watermarks.
And some are just was too childish to use as a serious one but it got me into looking on how or what I really wanted one to look.
So played a little more and came up with a few that I liked and look like they could be serious watermarks.
But I have worked them out on Corel, and now I have got paintshop cs6 and I have to work out if I can transfer these over to that.
I am hoping there is a way to do it as i am no techno in any way. But I have friends who are and I will get them on to it.
But thanks for the replies to this subject, I will post a shot once it is all worked out and let you know where to look for it.

ricktas
22-01-2013, 6:38pm
As I have said I have been playing about with a couple of watermarks.
And some are just was too childish to use as a serious one but it got me into looking on how or what I really wanted one to look.
So played a little more and came up with a few that I liked and look like they could be serious watermarks.
But I have worked them out on Corel, and now I have got paintshop cs6 and I have to work out if I can transfer these over to that.
I am hoping there is a way to do it as i am no techno in any way. But I have friends who are and I will get them on to it.
But thanks for the replies to this subject, I will post a shot once it is all worked out and let you know where to look for it.

How to watermark for Photoshop : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?40856-Watermarking-your-photos-using-Photoshop-%28brush-method%29

CherylB
22-01-2013, 8:07pm
It seems to me that the amount of watermarking is in inverse proportion to the quality of the photos! <insert catty smiley here!>

Seriously though, the watermarking is way over the top and really detracts from the viewing experience. And let's face it, she's not a world class photographer! <Oops! Meowwwww!>

jim
22-01-2013, 9:29pm
You're quite right Cheryl, the watermarks are better than the photos.

yummymummy
23-01-2013, 9:06am
:eek::crike::vomit1: Blugh... omg... my eyes are burning :( man o man.... that's just terrible! :(

Doktaduck
23-01-2013, 11:32am
yeah, that's really..... awful.

I have not bothered even thinking about watermarking anything of mine yet... but I am sure that she has shown me how not to do it :lol2:

MasterOfRoc
23-01-2013, 2:08pm
I would say, yes, go with one. Just put one in the corner of your photos. Whilst as you say your photos are not in a class to be stolen, you might be amazed how a photo you do not say is 'in the class' is found by someone who loves it and wants a copy. I sold a beach photo to a lady simply because her husband proposed to her on that beach. I even offered to go out and shoot it again during a nice sunset, but she wanted the photo I had, cause it reminded her of what the beach looked like on the day she was proposed to. So just cause you may think your photos are not in the class, watermark them, cause then someone who wants one, is more likely to be able to find you on the net. Watermarking for me is more about marketing, than protection.

This x10000. I do photos for the local footy club... I don't consider them great, however someone somewhere will like it... (Generally the subject/family). If watermarked, they know exactly who to contact, to get a copy

Crysis
23-01-2013, 5:08pm
As promised I have posted a photo with the watermark I made up.
Before some say it is too in your face I can make it smaller and clearer to see through.
I put it up there so it could be easily seen.
I have posted it here, .
:CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIQUE - Members' Photos:.:OTHER::Sundry = A drip in the tap
The photo is on the there for the watermark so this means it is really not a shot to display but it is a good photo it is only there to hold the watermark.

Ms Monny
23-01-2013, 5:18pm
WOW! Never seen that before!

I have simple wording that i use for FB, and it sometimes gets onto images here but not on purpose. I have seen some watermarks that are
1. silly
2. babyish (great for kids stuff but that is all)
3. HUGE (not like our guest though)
4. hard to read (I would like to know their name so I can find them again)
5. a symbol....who are you??

So, I am trying to work out myself a nice, simple, easy to read, elegant watermark that represents ME! Boy, is that hard! So, my very simple wording will do for now...... even coming up with a name is sooooooo hard....so my very simple name will do for now too!! ;)

fillum
24-01-2013, 12:43am
While the choice to watermark or not is a personal one, I believe there are a couple of big problems here...

In my opinion you should never place a watermark across the subjects face in a portrait. To me it seems to show a lack of respect for the subject (to a degree anyway...). Secondly, the photographer has created thumbnails from the watermarked images. In the thumbnails it's hard to make out the watermark, it just makes the thumbnail look crappy. I normally wouldn't bother opening any of the full-size images based on the thumbnails shown.

If you want to add a watermark purely for recognition (and not for theft prevention) you could always add a border and place the watermark in the border - this leaves the image 'clean'. (Although strictly speaking it's probably not called a 'watermark' in this case).

Cheers.

Doktaduck
24-01-2013, 12:53pm
So, I am trying to work out myself a nice, simple, easy to read, elegant watermark that represents ME! Boy, is that hard! So, my very simple wording will do for now...... even coming up with a name is sooooooo hard....

yup 100% agree there Ms Monny, I'm in the same boat.. my forum "tag" is not what I would use as a water mark.. but I don't like just my name either :P

Brian500au
26-01-2013, 3:21pm
When i give proofs to a client I watermark across the middle of the photograph. When i give them the final image i put a small water mark (same one) on one of the corners (more for advertising).