PDA

View Full Version : As a woman, do you go out alone at night to take photos?

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 1:40pm
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of the females on this forum go out alone at night to take pics?
I mean public places with a few people and cars around?

I've bought a new tripod and was wanting to take it out this week but all of a sudden I got a case of self consciousness and fear!!:rolleyes:

What do you ladies do?
Btw I just do photography for fun.

Thanks

scarlet artemis
14-01-2013, 2:13pm
Its hard isn't it? I'm in the same boat, i want to do some night work around Sydney to see what I can do to learn a bit more about light and exposure etc. I plan to visit a few freeways on the way home from a late shift and setup tripod next to car with door open and photograph curves of roads and bridges and rows of lights. For anyone to approach they would have to slow down and stop, which is enough time for me to throw gear and myself into car and lock doors. Another idea is to go to popular photographic spots around sydney harbour where there are other photographers around say Milsons point taking photos of the bridge or the Rocks area and no one hassles you. If you are having a night out somewhere, take the camera and go with partner/friend while you take some snaps. Another option is to go to tourist attractions near you that are open at night, not many people visit them them and you can photograph a new perspective perhaps- or if you book a hotel room in a city - ask for balcony and city views and set up tripod on the balcony and get great city views, we did this in Dublin and Kuala Lumpur. But Dublin is dead black at night, even the McConnell tower had no lights on :((

If you have nice gear, insure it for its full value. That way you can pick up the tripod and swing it at an attackers head - I've done self defence and have learned to use whatever is at hand. People may feel it is stupid me saying what I just did about insurance, but I've been a victim of crime before and would not hesitate to do what I had to to save my life.

Wandapics
14-01-2013, 2:20pm
No I won't go alone anywhere where there arn't a reasonable number of people. I feel it is too dangerous these days.
I either go in a group with other Camera Club, U3A members or a friend.

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 2:27pm
Thanks Scarlet,

Don't worry, i'll happily throw my canon 5d mk ii at any potential attacker! My life is far more important!
I assume that my camera is covere under home and contents insurance but perhaps i need to find out for sure.

I'm in Melbourne btw and i was wanted to go somewhere in the city, I have a few bridges near me overlooking roads that i could try too. Perhaps flinders st station, just don't like bringing attention to myself!

Mary Anne
14-01-2013, 5:03pm
No I would not go out alone..

Yes you check your Insurance as that may be just for the camera in your home..
I have portable Insurance for what I take out it comes under Personal Effects> Specified Effects on mine, where you have list each item and its value and pay a bit more though worth it.

HansPeter
14-01-2013, 5:24pm
I suggest to bild a group of Photographers Man and Women to met up and shot at night.
You now what even for a Men its dangers to walk at night alone, I set this before let the Police do there job! And trow the good-doers in Yale its that Simple..

Kym
14-01-2013, 5:36pm
We have had camera club and AP meets at night, it works well

HansPeter
14-01-2013, 5:46pm
I set this before let the Police do there job! And trow the good-doers in Yale its that Simple..

ameerat42
14-01-2013, 5:55pm
Hansi. Who are these do-gooders you mean?

ricktas
14-01-2013, 7:01pm
I am confused too. Do Gooders would not be a danger to female photographers at night, it would be the do-badders.

I think anyone, no matter what sex you are, needs to take personal safety into account, whether it be day or night. I know a male photographer who was bashed and had is $10K worth of camera gear stolen in the centre of Hobart one week night.

I also know a photographer who died after falling off a cliff while taking sunrise photos. His gear, on tripod was found all setup at the top of the cliff. It is assumed he slipped and fell.

Personal safety should be something we all think about.

PS, I am not a woman, or have not gone out at night, as one. But you started your post with "Hi guys" so thought I could comment :2afro:

ktoopi
14-01-2013, 7:50pm
I rarely go out alone at night....usually I have at least one photographer friend with me or I drag my husband along if possible. I have done the occasional sunrise shoot on my own but it's not something I make a habit of. I guess that's why I enjoy the AP night meets so much...safety in numbers!:2smile:

Cage
14-01-2013, 9:17pm
I live in a small country town and I wouldn't be game to go out at night as a woman.

I don't think a cross-dresser would be terribly well thought of by the locals.

ricktas
14-01-2013, 9:25pm
I live in a small country town and I wouldn't be game to go out at night as a woman.

I don't think a cross-dresser would be terribly well thought of by the locals.

There goes that idea for the next 'self portrait' competition we have then.

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 9:58pm
Thanks Everyone!

Of course both men and women need to put their safety first at any time of day, I think as a womenn taking photos alone I sometimes feel more vulnerable.

I don't have that many people that I can just go and take photos with as none of my friends are that interested.
Perhaps joining a photography club is an option but I haven't heard great things about them.

Thanks again.

Mark L
14-01-2013, 10:06pm
I'm a firm believer in "don't look like a victim." I used to go out late and nearly anywhere in Sydney (admitted, over a decade ago). Straight back, shoulders back, head up. Never had a problem. But of cause I'm a bloke with a short beard.
I understand your concern Andrea, and it just sucks that reality makes you ask your question. You need to feel safe where you go, and that can be out of your control. Maybe do some evening drives where you'd like to go. See how many people actually hang around there. Keep a mobile phone with you. Dress like a man. :confused013

aussie girl
14-01-2013, 10:15pm
Hi everyone, some of you may remember another post by another member who was unsettled when she was followed by a man after taking photos one morning http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?114533-Solo-lady-togs-be-aware!-Creepy-experience

I have rarely gone out by myself. I went one day during the day up a couple of back tracks behind McLaren Vale, but did not get out of the car. I have taken a few shots down at the top of the cliffs at Maslin Beach as the sun has been setting, but this has been in the main carpark, not the bottom carpark (more secluded) and right opposite houses. I did go out one night to try and get shots of the full moon coming up over Mc Laren Vale. I pulled my car up just before Peddler Creek Bridge, but I parked the car well off the road where it would not have been easily visible from the main road. I then walked up the hill a short distance to get a better vantage point of the moon rising over the hill. I left my keys in the ignition, as the car was within sight and I took a torch with me incase I needed to sprint back. I also kept my phone on me. I had originally set out to take photos opposite a petrol station on Commercial road, but had then decided to change and go over to Main South road, as it was a little darker and a bit closer and higher up than the previous location. I rang my husband when I arrived at the petrol station location and rang him to tell him that i was changing location and then rang him as i was leaving. I did not feel comfortable being out there by myself, so probably would not venture out again. It is far too easy to be dragged away at the drop of a hat, never to be seen again, and NO I am not exaggerating, this has happened far too often in far too many places.
Is your life really worth the risk?? that is something you need to assess. Yes we should all have the right to roam around as we like, and enjoy the hobbies that we enjoy, but unfortunately we live in the real world, and there are people out there who will go to any lengths to take what they want and do what the like.
Stay safe, and as others have suggested, join a group and go on night activities with them. You will probably gain far more knowledge from others than trying to do it by yourself. As for my night out - the photos turned out crap, once again :2apolo:

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 10:15pm
Dress like a man?!! Ha ha!!
As long as i don't speak that should work!

Cage
14-01-2013, 10:23pm
There goes that idea for the next 'self portrait' competition we have then.

Getting the make-up on over the beard was always going to cause problems too. :2afro:

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 10:28pm
Aussie girl, I know what you mean.
That's why I started the thread. There's something unsettling about going out alone, moreso in the evening or somewhere isolated.
How amazing it would be if we could all just enjoy what we wanted, everybody just minded their own business and safety was just a given....always.

Mark L
14-01-2013, 10:42pm
I employed a talented young lady in a dead end job many years ago. She was a great asset to us. Eventually she moved on to a better job. She pulled me aside on her last day and was overwhelming in her thanks to me. In her 4 previous jobs she had been subject to sexual harassment (thus why she'd left those jobs and seemed to be establishing an unstable employment history), and respected me so much for not putting her through that again. I felt awful that this was the world for some, and as a male, I had no idea.
As said in my previous post, "it just sucks that reality makes you ask your question."
Sorry, back to you ladies!

Andrea1
14-01-2013, 11:06pm
Yes Mark unfortunately it can be reality sometimes.

I certainly never want to live my life in fear but there have been far too many incidents recently in the media that just make me cringe.
What's that saying? Be alert not alarmed!

Allie
15-01-2013, 12:47am
I've gone on a couple of camera club night shoots (only been available for those few) and walked home alone from one as I had to leave earlier than the event was going to finish and I did think how easy it would be for someone to take my gear away from me - pretty obvious I had camera gear when carrying a tripod (even folded up). I wasn't concerned about it but the thought was there. I have gone out by myself during the day and had the same thoughts for the same reason as it is obvious what you are doing when you take photos especially using longer lenses and tripods which can make you a target for theft at least - probably another reason I think a smaller sized camera or phone camera is a worthwhile accessory. As I work shifts including nights and weekends it does make it harder to arrange company for photography but I think that would be a better solution not only for safety but for the shared experiences however that is rarely possible for me - now that my partner is becoming interested in photography himself maybe this will change.:2biggn:

Mathy
15-01-2013, 2:02am
I feel more vulnerable about having obviously expensive digital equipment on me, not only a camera (people get mugged for a decent mobile phone these days), than being female. Expensive gear draws attention, being an older female sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. So, I don't carry bags or use neck straps that shout NIKON, I keep everything nondescript.

I agree with Mark, walk and act like you belong where you are, stand tall, make friendly eye contact if necessary, do not act/look like a victim.

For women, many of the Rape Crisis Centres have/run self defence courses which are immensely practical in that, they take into account size, age and possible disability. I can highly recommend them, mainly because they advocate/stress the psychology of how to handle yourself first, preventative measures second and how to actively defend yourself third. I spent a few years doing some martial arts, not for self defence but because I really like the spiritual aspect, that's also very helpful. Even Tai Chi, which seems like a form of Yoga, is a martial art and has it's uses. A martial art that is particularly good for women is Wing Chun because, it was actually developed by Buddhist nuns and suits people of smaller and slight stature - any of these options are also beneficial for health and wellbeing also.

I'm hoping it's not the case these days, but women used to be not physical and not used to moving/using their bodies. I'm lucky, I've always played sport and maintained a strong physical sense of self. This is a very important component to feeling safe/competent. There's lots of fitness classes that incorporate boxing, kick boxing etc. Try them, women/girls aren't taught to hit things, men/boys seems to have an advantage in that area. It's not the hitting that's important, it's the self belief and confidence that comes from the exercise that is the benefit.

And it doesn't matter whether you're male or female, we all have a right to 'be' in the world without being harassed or bullied by others - who are basically weak individuals anyway. Being assertive is a good start and will often make such individuals go away - you just have to practice doing it - role playing until you're comfortable with saying what you want to say, calm the fear in your belly. If worse comes to worse, then yes, I will use anything I can get my hands on and I will hurt any individual who attempts to get physical with me, because when someone crosses my boundaries to that point, I've got a very bad temper and no compunction about causing some damage. Another benefit of doing a self defence course or those fitness classes mentioned above is that you learn to not waste your time on being pretty, if you're placed in a position where you have to hurt someone, then learn the quickest, most effective and most painful way of doing it :D

At the end of the day, none of us, male or female want to be walking around scared. And none of us want to be physically confronted. Doing the work that makes you feel confident, assertive and capable of verbally/psychologically dealing with most situations helps to avoid/diffuse conflict without feeling scared, and most of the time, that's sufficient, cheers Deb

ElizabethAtkinson
15-01-2013, 6:10am
I always go with other Photogs for night photography, not because I am concerned about safety, but rather it is an organised group session. However, saying that, I will always do street photography with another person for safety reasons (yes two people taking photos in the street can be intimidating but if the person says no to a photo [if they have seen me snap it] I respect that and delete/don't take the photo).

extraball
15-01-2013, 7:37am
as a male, I would feel uncomfortable alone, in some nite-time areas around the city. I would definately steer clear of the "alcohol soaked" zones, and consider taking a friend.

Chromo
15-01-2013, 9:18am
It usually doesn't occur to me to be honest. I find most people I meet are decent and friendly. I know there are some bad people out there, but they just seem pretty rare to me, so I don't worry about running into one. I think a smidge of common sense and being aware of my surroundings is all I need.

I have done a few night shoots in Sydney, some with a club and some alone. The only difference I found was I enjoy having someone to chit-chat with about the exposure, and to bounce ideas off. And it's always fun to compare completely different pics taken of the same thing - good insight to improve if your pic looks like garbage compared to the pic taken from right beside you! So for me, it's more a company and learning thing, rather than a safety thing. I guess if you're alone and engrossed in composing a shot, your situational awareness is a little compromised, so maybe night shoots in sparsely populated areas are best done with a buddy (for both men and women)

I live in a rural area now, and it is even less likely to occur to me. I mean, if there's nobody around, there's nobody to worry me! The media reports on the unusual, and sells emotions - they don't report on the millions of people who had pleasant, uneventful evenings. Yes, I supposed there is a very slight chance that something bad might happen to me, but I perceive it to be tiny and random, and I don't want to miss out on living my life.

ricktas
15-01-2013, 9:34am
It usually doesn't occur to me to be honest. I find most people I meet are decent and friendly. I know there are some bad people out there, but they just seem pretty rare to me, so I don't worry about running into one. I think a smidge of common sense and being aware of my surroundings is all I need.

I agree. I think the media rely's on our fears and most news we hear is bad, so the extent of any issues are amplified by the media.

Dylan & Marianne
15-01-2013, 11:28am
Marianne for the same concerns does not feel comfortable going out solo on dawn or dusk shoots except where there are people present.
For the guys out there, I agree with Mark's sentiment - if you do go out and portray yourself as a victim, i reckon it does increase the odds of you becoming a victim. I'm a super skinny guy but usually I'm out in the cold and padded up I don't look quite so wimpy lol. Adapting to your environment helps even if it means throwing a few random celebratory comments in reply to a drunken crowd yelling your way rather than head down, looking insecure and scuttling off

scarlet artemis
15-01-2013, 2:39pm
I felt so concerned when I came back and read some of the other posts - now I know why my husband worries about me so much! He insists we take the baby and go out together on weekends when we can. i think he gets it that by the time both of them are ready and we've driven out of sydney to location, I'm going to get crap shots of beaches and landscapes because the light is all wrong....that's the prob I have at the moment, is learning to make use of the light I have to work with and maybe developing good flash handling techniques in the next few months as I'm forced to take more photos in shade :)

Would love to get out alone in a remote location somewhere and have the time to compose a shot without worrying about safety or keeping up with a fast moving toddler and husband whilst lugging all my gear. But I might be preg, so its all only going to get harder. No complaints though, I choose my life.

lenscap
15-01-2013, 9:43pm
I am always careful when I go out alone in the daytime and I haven't gone out alone at night because of the safety side of things. It is a pity we can't go out alone and feel comfortable. I generally find a friend who is happy to go for a drive with me and will patiently wait while I take my photographs.