PDA

View Full Version : Reverse ND Grads ?

Roosta
06-01-2013, 4:14pm
Can anyone recommend a good Reverse ND grad setup?
I should add that I'm looking for the none screw on type, more the frame mounted style.

Cheers,

William
06-01-2013, 4:38pm
Found it Roosta, Even in the "P" Series size , Which is good for me also : http://singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

Roosta
06-01-2013, 5:46pm
Found it Roosta, Even in the "P" Series size , Which is good for me also : http://singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

Love your work.

ricktas
06-01-2013, 5:55pm
Yep the Singh-Ray is probably the one from the better known brands. Hi-Tech make one as well, usually easy to find on E-bay

Roosta
06-01-2013, 6:08pm
Yep the Singh-Ray is probably the one from the better known brands. Hi-Tech make one as well, usually easy to find on E-bay

Do you know of a Site Sponsor that sells Singh-Ray mate?

ricktas
06-01-2013, 6:15pm
Do you know of a Site Sponsor that sells Singh-Ray mate?

Hmmm. not of the top of my head, no.

ricktas
06-01-2013, 6:17pm
B&H photo do!

Roosta
06-01-2013, 7:10pm
Was trolling through the bowels of the internet, and found a post by our Dylan back in 2010 - HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?59224-Reverse-ND-Grad-Singh-Ray-Hitech-Other-Best-price) On Ya Kym.

You can buy here. http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech-grad-filters-c-1047_78_1115_767_277.html

I have email them to find out cost of delivery, will post their reply.

Cheers.

hakka
07-01-2013, 5:41am
I have a 4x6inch singh ray reverse grad, it gives a strong color cast. I prefer to use two Lee grads together as a reverse grad. I found a 1.2 hard and 0.3 soft to be a good combo. Position them like this so the dark bits overlap:

It gives you basically the same end result as a 0.9 reverse + an 0.3 nd (non grad). below the horizon has 0.3, above the horizon has 1.2 that fades to 0.9 towards the top. You can move them around to adjust the transition.

The downside is it takes up two filter slots, and costs more if you dont already have the grads.

Analog6
07-01-2013, 6:48am
I have a 4x6inch singh ray reverse grad, it gives a strong color cast. I prefer to use two Lee grads together as a reverse grad. I found a 1.2 hard and 0.3 soft to be a good combo. Position them like this so the dark bits overlap:

It gives you basically the same end result as a 0.9 reverse + an 0.3 nd (non grad). below the horizon has 0.3, above the horizon has 1.2 that fades to 0.9 towards the top. You can move them around to adjust the transition.

The downside is it takes up two filter slots, and costs more if you dont already have the grads.

Thanks for that, I already have my blisteringly expensive set of 3 x soft grad NDs from Lee so now I can combine them to create the reverse ND effect.

Dylan & Marianne
07-01-2013, 10:43am
I was going to say BH and Teamwork both sell them but you found it already lol
Hakka's setup is really nice and combining grads is usually the way to go for using reverse GNDs , otherwise you end up with 'apocalyptic' looking skies and foregrounds that just seem way to bright for what they should be ( I often combine the reverse GND with the 2 or 3 stop soft in varying positions hand held )

arthurking83
08-01-2013, 12:02pm
You could also try using your standard grads as reversed std grads.

That is, you place the grad upside down, but use the darkened edge at the line where the graduation is required.
To visualise this, imagine the grad that it's upside down, but only the dark section is actually covering the top part of the lens. The lower section of the lens is not covered by the filter at all.
Doing it this way tho, requires very minimal filtration strength .. an 0.3 Lee filter can give approximately a 3stop difference in exposure!
(I have a few examples of how effective .. or not! :D .. this system can be, and it has gotten me out of trouble when I've needed it too)

The problems with using a standard grad reversed make it's full time use somewhat annoying.

Mainly in that at the top of each grad is the company and model markings, which impact on the image in the form of blurred smears.
Not being partial to cloning on a regular basis, this is a considerable annoyance. If you don't mind cloning then it's not an issue.

The other issue is setup time, your reversed standard grad has to be meticulously placed, or the results can look quite ordinary.
Which then comes to the topic of placement. If you use the viewfinder as your preferred method of image composition, the placement of your eye to the viewfinder is critical to placement of the reversed std grad too. The issue is one of parallax.
The best way to accurately place a std grad in reversed orientation is using live view(it's spot on every time) but of course the issues of using live view needs to be dealt with.

Whilst using a reversed std grad has gotten me results over the years, I will be getting myself a set of proper reverse grads very soon.

Roosta
08-01-2013, 2:17pm
Thanks all above for the replies, I've ordered a Reverse Grad (http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech-reverse-grad-06nd-p-14711.html) and will get my in-laws to send them over. Teamwork wanted 20 Pounds for freight, so lucky for me I have a UK connection. Hakka and Ak, this is pretty much the method I was trying, but looking back now, probably not the most ideal spot.

If I had of used the reverse grad in the situation (See my post in Land - seascapes) the rocks would have been nearly un-seen, so I guess there's a time and a place for said filters. I do want to revisit this setting, as I feel with the help of the clouds to the horizon, it would make for a good long exposure shot, and maybe capture the cloud movement as well.

Thanks again.

arthurking83
09-01-2013, 10:59am

If I had of used the reverse grad in the situation (See my post in Land - seascapes) the rocks would have been nearly un-seen, so I guess there's a time and a place for said filters. I do want to revisit this setting, as I feel with the help of the clouds to the horizon, it would make for a good long exposure shot, and maybe capture the cloud movement as well.

Thanks again.

(just saw the thread/image)
You will get that with a reverse GND too tho, where once you've placed the grad along the horizon, the top section of rocks would have been irrevocably too dark.
This is where multi exposure, blending and or HDR is 'where it's at'.

I'll be ordering my rGND's too soon.

Roosta
09-01-2013, 11:57am
(just saw the thread/image)
You will get that with a reverse GND too tho, where once you've placed the grad along the horizon, the top section of rocks would have been irrevocably too dark.
This is where multi exposure, blending and or HDR is 'where it's at'.

I'll be ordering my rGND's too soon.

Ak, I did take a few bracketed shot -2 spot on and +2, just not that great with PS, so I'll revisit and see what I can do. Thanks for the memory jog.