PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1dx or Canon 5dmark111

Chloe and Aspen
06-01-2013, 12:04pm
The time has come,which one do I buy.forget the company hype,who has one or the other and is using them .
I do a lot of sport,also into wildlife, scenery.people...share your thoughts please..

El Pedro
06-01-2013, 12:16pm
If the 1DX is in your budget then it's the obvious choice. Better in low light and loads faster FPS. Depends if you like the size of the 1D body or the smaller 5D I guess too.

William
06-01-2013, 12:21pm
?? Whats wrong with the Cameras you've been using , From the Exif on your posted shots you already have the 1D mkIII and have been using the 1DmkIV, To be honest I'd stick with what you have for a while , 1DX and the 5DmkIII are'nt going to improve your bird shots all that much if any :2smilS:

MarkChap
06-01-2013, 12:26pm
I am a bit with William on this one
What have you got now
Why do you fell the need to upgrade ??

Chloe and Aspen
06-01-2013, 12:48pm
Good question, Have been to lazy to trade my 1d3 and the 1d4.the 1dx has upgraded the af mode and is quicker than a parking inspector to an expired meter,which would help at sport, cricket, tennis, football etc.but do I need the high speed rate 12 frames the 5d has 6 frames and if I cannot have all the action I need in six frames the rest would go on the cutting room floor. Then we come to the matter of Size the two have bigger think they are called sensiors not a teck type...

William
06-01-2013, 1:07pm
A bigger , faster, Better camera will not yield better shots if you cant drive them, Stick with what you already have , And learn to use them fully, They are both very capable cameras (Wish I had just one :2smile:) I been checking the data on your posted shots and I think you need to more a grip on the basics of the Triangle , Aperture, Shutter and ISO some of them are way off IMO , I might sound a bit blunt , But it looks like most everything is Auto except for AV , And most of your f stop settings are way off as well , Stick with it and what you have and Practice, Practice

El Pedro
06-01-2013, 1:24pm
It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter. If you've got the cash to burn why not?

Everyone says a good camera won't help it's the user, well a great camera like either the 5DIII or the IDX certainly won't hurt.

William
06-01-2013, 1:38pm
Hmm ! Thats not true : Quote Pedro : It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter

BTW The 1D mkIV is no old/Budget camera :2smilS: If you have'nt got a grip on the basics , A better ( Note top of the range) will not make you take better images

El Pedro
06-01-2013, 1:52pm
I guess that's the great thing about forums it allows people to present different opinions. I'm a total noob to photography and after owning a 60D for 3 months ditched it in favour of a 6D. I can assure you the pictures coming out of the 6D are noticeably better.

The 1DX has a full frame sensor v the 1.3x of the 1D IV and has higher ISO capability. Whether you're a novice or a pro this is going to lead to better pictures in low light conditions and the ability to use a faster shutter speed to capture fast paced sports.

William
06-01-2013, 2:06pm
:2smile: OK , Back on topic, To the OP , If I had the choice, I'd take the 1DX , I dont have the spare $7,300 to get one though :2biggn:

norwest
06-01-2013, 2:44pm
Pedro, William uses a 50D and betters the results of most using more expensive gear. One of the best bird shooters on here uses a 40D. I use a 50D. That's only three of many. Check out the picture threads and see how they compare.

You're welcome to photograph the egg on my face if someone not very experienced in a particular field and very knowledgeable in the use of their equipment can gain better sports shot with a 1DX over a 1DM3 or 4 and any other combination. This thread may interest you. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?104240-Not-happy-with-results and this one http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?111519-Beginner-Myths-about-photography But as you say, if it's no skin off one's nose, spend the dollars if that's what's wanted.

C&A, rgw717 (Richard) http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?3939-rwg717 uses both a 1DMark1V and a 1Dx and he's very experienced, so he'd be the bloke to speak to.

Chloe and Aspen
06-01-2013, 2:49pm
Just have to reply william,I am a well quilifyied former Press Photographer.and while I can not quote from the manuals verbatim as some technical types havingthe best gear on the market 1dx at DWI $5639 have a look at cheapest prices for Canon you may be surprised. is still a bit high but the quility of the images are better.even if I was to use it on auto .As I said in my first thread ,the best info comes from persons that have the gear.Yes over the years I have always strived to have the best.thats why Canon and Nikon improve their products. but if worst comes to worst I have a Look down 1920s Super D Graphlex 5x4

El Pedro
06-01-2013, 2:50pm
That's great nor west but if I offered to trade you willy and bird man a 1DX or a 5D3 for your xxD's I bet all three would hand them over. The OP has listed his skill level as advanced so I would think that he has a basic understanding of exposure and using a DSLR. If you can get the same shot with a 50D why do professionals fork out for the top gear?

ricktas
06-01-2013, 2:50pm
It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter. If you've got the cash to burn why not?

Everyone says a good camera won't help it's the user, well a great camera like either the 5DIII or the IDX certainly won't hurt.

The camera is part of the equation yes, but if you do not have a good understanding of the exposure triangle and composition, etc, there is a huge limit to how much benefit a new camera will be. A good skilled photographer can take great photos with a phone camera, someone without good skills can take bad photos with a $5000.00 camera. We tell people not to upgrade just to 'take better photos' for a reason.

norwest
06-01-2013, 3:03pm
That's great nor west but if I offered to trade you willy and bird man a 1DX or a 5D3 for your xxD's I bet all three would hand them over. The OP has listed his skill level as advanced so I would think that he has a basic understanding of exposure and using a DSLR. If you can get the same shot with a 50D why do professionals fork out for the top gear?

What Rick says, above.

My points have missed the target by a considerable margin so I'll stop shooting before I hit something unintentionally, again.

Dittography
06-01-2013, 4:24pm
I'm going to play devils advocate here. It sounds like the OP enjoys having top of the line gear. I have a couple of friends that fit into this category. It's possible/likely that the photo quality won't improve by buying an upgraded camera but there is a pleasure owning and using the latest and best available. Just like using top of the line fishing gear doesn't make the fish taste any better but the catching can be more pleasurable. So if the cost of the purchase isn't a concern then go for it. Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/comparisons/5d-mkiii-vs-1dx.htm#iso) (I hope it's ok to post the link?). I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them but from what I've read the 1Dx will better suit your needs, particularly for sports. Good luck...

I @ M
06-01-2013, 4:37pm
Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/comparisons/5d-mkiii-vs-1dx.htm#iso) (I hope it's ok to post the link?).

Yep, perfectly OK to post the link to Mr. Rockwell, we like a bit of humour here and he is a first class provider of it in his attempt to enlighten the photographic community with his pearls of wisdom make money from gullible people.

I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them

In all seriousness, I reckon Mr Rockwelll is in exactly the same boat as you. :rolleyes:

ricktas
06-01-2013, 4:54pm
I'm going to play devils advocate here. It sounds like the OP enjoys having top of the line gear. I have a couple of friends that fit into this category. It's possible/likely that the photo quality won't improve by buying an upgraded camera but there is a pleasure owning and using the latest and best available. Just like using top of the line fishing gear doesn't make the fish taste any better but the catching can be more pleasurable. So if the cost of the purchase isn't a concern then go for it. Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/comparisons/5d-mkiii-vs-1dx.htm#iso) (I hope it's ok to post the link?). I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them but from what I've read the 1Dx will better suit your needs, particularly for sports. Good luck...

I don't believe you are playing devil's advocate at all, as you appear to be agreeing with us on most aspects.

Warbler
06-01-2013, 5:08pm
I'm not as fast as Schumaker, but I'd certainly like a Ferrari. :2smile: No offense intended to anyone.

I @ M
06-01-2013, 5:14pm
I'm not as fast as Schumaker, but I'd certainly like a Ferrari. :2smile: No offense intended to anyone.

Makes perfect sense to me. :th3:

CAP
06-01-2013, 5:22pm
Splash the cash.... just go out and buy it.
Who cares if it won't make your pics any better, as long as it makes you feel good.. do it.
Personally I would spend the dollars on glass but then again you may already have that side of things covered as well.

Buy the way... can I have your your totally out of date and clapped out 1Dmk4 :2biggn:

Warbler
06-01-2013, 5:26pm
Splash the cash.... just go out and buy it.
Who cares if it won't make your pics any better, as long as it makes you feel good.. do it.
Personally I would spend the dollars on glass but then again you may already have that side of things covered as well.

Buy the way... can I have your your totally out of date and clapped out 1Dmk4 :2biggn:

EXIF shows an EF200 F1.8L, so I'm guessing good glass is not a problem either. Half his luck. If I could splash out, I would have no hesitation either. Some folks just do this for a hobby. Good luck to them.

CAP
06-01-2013, 5:27pm

Mercedes might take offense to that comment...:2onthe:
Then again they might be happy for Schuey to go back to Ferrari.

Warbler
06-01-2013, 5:29pm
Mercedes might take offense to that comment...:2onthe:
Then again they might be happy for Schuey to go back to Ferrari.

He was faster at Ferrari....

I @ M
06-01-2013, 5:41pm
He was faster at Ferrari....

Yeah, but didn't he own a Nikon then? :D

ricktas
06-01-2013, 5:44pm
Ultimately it is the original poster's choice. If he wants to buy this newer camera then he should. Not being a Canon user I am not really that informed to make a judgement call myself, but the 5D Mk III has a brilliant reputation and I do not know anyone with one, who does not like it.

Warbler
06-01-2013, 5:45pm
Yeah, but didn't he own a Nikon then? :D

just for that, I'm giving you the bird. Cop this ->:rbird:

Shelley
06-01-2013, 6:20pm
Your question 1dx or 5d3. 1dx obviously, especially for birding. I have the 5d3, would love the 1dx, but my pockets are empty.

bricat
07-01-2013, 6:14am
As a complete novice in the past I would have said buy the 1DX. Have always bought the best I could afford but this is an upgrade. I am slowly coming to understand that better glass is more of an improvement if you already have a good camera as a baseline. The 1DX is better than the 5d3. After I had all the good glass I needed and had the money I would upgrade to the 1DX no hesitation. Why drive a commodore if you can afford a Ferrari.
PS Lovely lovely photo as always RH. cheers Brian

Ventureoverland
07-01-2013, 7:56am
Here's my 2c worth...

If you can drive and fully understand your current bodies and they are freqently restricting you AND you have spare cash, then perhaps look at swapping bodies. HOWEVER, I am generally with the others, I doubt very much the camera body will be the result of and photograph shortcomings.

I don't know what lenses you have, but if your competent and confident at driving your bodies then I'd suggest you look into changing / upgrading your lenses, upgrading to l series glad will improve your shots, simply moving from one excellent body to another excellent one will not. Your chosen topics demand excellent and very expensive glass to approach pro-level quality shots.

Food for thought.
J

Sent using Forum Runner

rbat
07-01-2013, 4:24pm
My 450D with 55-250mm kit lens can produce: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42049292@N08/7499422110/in/set-72157624644852687/. I really think it is about technique. However, it is a bit like the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 was pretty good - could do pretty much everything that the 5 can but it wasn't a 5. If you just like new technology, go for it. I can understand wanting the latest and greatest. I just don't think considering what you already own that it will be that big a difference to your quality of images as most DSLR's can produce outstanding images.

aussieray
07-01-2013, 8:18pm
If anything, you'll look the part! :2smile:

Dylan & Marianne
07-01-2013, 8:30pm
my take on the question and the themes which have popped up:
I upgraded the 5dmk2 to the 5dmk3 because I found the limitations were : poor AF for doing compositions other than central compositions (focus and recompose doesn't work for a lot of stuff we were trying with kids, pets, even fast moving bits of weddings!). Improved ISO performance as I found that even with the 5dmk2, night shots at iso1600 looked great online, but try to print them large and it was a disaster!
I am pleased to say that the 5dmk3 delivered on both of those counts spectacularly well and hence I thought it was worth the money. Don't talk to me about weather sealing though grrrrr...

If you were in a similar situation where you found the 1dsmk3 and 1dmk4 had limitations and frustrations which are fixed by the 1dx or mk3, it may be worth the upgrade. But I agree with everyone else - if you're going to use it exactly like the previous camera without utilising its extra benefits, then you might as well stick with those already excellent cameras.

If you had cash to burn and can afford it, then the upgrade question is really just if you want to do it. As a mk3 owner, I am now thinking about whether I should have forked out more for the 1dx as I have had repeated troubles with weather sealing on the 5d series and I hear that the high iso performance and DR is even better for night photography (something I do a fair bit of). 18mp vs 23 doesn't bother me as I rarely print larger than 40" long edge.

I hope that helps you answer your particular question.

Tannin
11-01-2013, 5:04pm
For birds and wildlife, the very best camera money can buy is the 1D IV. Anything you change it for will be a downgrade.

For other tasks, there are good reasons to favour any of several different cameras. If you cannot find clear, compelling advantages in a new one, stay with what you have.

fabian628
11-01-2013, 5:50pm
I would pick the 1dx; however you may use the $ to upgrade your lenses; Im not sure what you currently have but some canon super tele's definately help with picture taking in dark conditions. I currently use old skool 1d3 with 400 2.8IS for taking pictures of birds. Id love to have the new 600 f/4 though as well lol

fess67
11-01-2013, 10:11pm
I currently own: 50D, 5D2, 1DIV, 1DX

I use the 1DX 99% of the time now. I love it. Sure, people can get better images than I can with lesser kit but I don't care about that, I get tons of fun from my 1DX and that is why I bought it. I challenge anyone to hold the trigger button down on high speed and not giggle - it is insane. If I am going to try to make my living from photography I may come up with a reason as to why I need it but for now this is a hobby and it is simply fun to have. hobby = fun so go for it.

Now, in terms of the OP's question. I do not have the 5DIII so I cannot pass comment but the specs on paper are pretty close the the 1DX and the cost different is significant. It may pay to go 5DIII and another lens if we are looking for bang for buck. You have a 1D camera already so no doubt know that it is a pretty heavy bit of kit but it is worth mentioning that the 1DX is painful on the hands if you are having a long session in the field. My knuckles hurt a lot with this camera and a long lens, I am getting used to using tripod / monopod.

Being a hobby, if I had to choose again between the 5DIII and the 1DX - - - - hard to justify the 1DX, love it as I do, the price difference is huge and by all accounts the 5DIII operates well. However, as I said, it is a hobby and decisions are often made emotionally rather than rationally, if you have the $$ go get the 1DX and have a chuckle every time you pick it up - this is about fun and nothing else :)

ps, I also own a set of golf clubs that cetain pro golfers use - I don't care that I play golf like a 5 year old - I get fun out of it so all bets are off :D