PDA

View Full Version : hello

paulthew
28-12-2012, 7:09pm
I was directed to this site by an avid photographer.
I called him to chat about my choice of buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, and he suggested try this site to find out more info about it.
At home is a well-cherished (and well-used) Canon AE-1, bought sometime in the mid-seventies, along with a Canon 28mm lens, and a Canon 85mm lens, purchased a year or so later. None have been used since the arrival of digital, sometime in the mid nineties.
A shame really, as it was a lovely unit. I was a young bloke, maybe eighteen, and still remember the thrill of unpacking the thing at home. Loved Kodachrome 64(?), and did all my own b&w developing at home in the bathroom.
I've had a Canon Powershot A570is for a few years now, a great little camera that takes good photos and surprisingly good video. It gets quite some use.
I'm thinking about the Lumix purely to have that point-and-shoot convenience but with a better image, HD video and a good zoom. I do bush walking and lots of other stuff, and the little Canon just lacks that zoom and HD video for what I'd now like. I'm actually happy with the 7.1mp Canon image and video, but would like to upgrade.
Was also looking at the Nikon D5100, and the Canon 650D, but when I researched the lens kits supplied, found (as expected) they were pretty crummy. Lovely cameras, though. But for decent lenses, ching, ching...
The Lumix is quite reasonably priced, I think. It's something O can use, and find if I really would like a DSLR, will not burn myself if I hand it on to a friend, or whatever.
Anyway, I figure the only real downside, if it is a downside, is the sensor size? As always, wondering if I should wait for the next model, which I'm gamlbing will have a larger sensor, or really, just buy the thing and enjoy it.
So, I'll search the site and see what I can find.
Have to add that I'm amazed at the quality of cameras now available. Unbelievable.

Kym
28-12-2012, 7:13pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

ricktas
28-12-2012, 7:22pm
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums

paulthew
28-12-2012, 7:32pm
Kym. I lived in Ridgehaven when I got the AE-1. Lived there for all my teenage years. A great place.

Mark L
28-12-2012, 10:58pm
G'day Paul and welcome to AP.
Reckon The Blue Mountains can be photographed well, what ever you choose.:2smile:
If you can't find the info you want, just start a thread and ask, maybe here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Camera-Lens-Gear-Talk
My old Canon lens fitted on to my 60D. Are you're EF mount? If so, they work on Canon DSLRs.

rwg717
28-12-2012, 11:32pm
Hello and welcome to AP:pentax:
Richard

Wayne63
29-12-2012, 8:52am
Welcome to AP, look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums