PDA

View Full Version : Grey Market lens Question ??

Roosta
22-12-2012, 10:48am
So after reading through this (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?113459-Purchased-a-Grey-Market-camera-recently-Is-it-GENUINE) on the Canon HK camera ordeals, I'm looking at finally buying my new lens (Canon 400 mm L F5.6 USM or the Canon 100 - 400 mm F4.5 - 5.6 IS USM) and this troubles me somewhat.

Overcome one major concern of two, as the Ministry for Finance and Home Affairs gave it the green light. But, The above worries me, as I'm looking at buying the lens off one of the two major grey (Aussie) companies. D-D or DWI, unless a AP Sponsor can help (Will look at that after this post.) The cost saving just make sense, and as far as I can tell/read, the warranty is a 12 month given on all L lenses. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Has anyone had any major issues with either of these companies in regards to not getting what you've paid for?

Can anyone recommend an AP Sponsor?

AP sponsors, here's your chance to get some money off me.

agb
22-12-2012, 10:56am
There has been no issues that I am aware of regarding the serial numbers on lenses. They are or course stamped into the lens and cannot be changed easily and unlike the cameras in question they dont report a serial number in the exif that could be checked against the serial number on the body of the camera. And I hope you do understand the there was no question that the cameras were fake, just the serial number plate on the bottom of the camera had been changed with a new serial number. I have bought all of my gear which includes the 400 mm L from grey importers and so far no issues at all. I just looked for the most convenient deal at the best price and service and hoped that in the unlikely event that I had some warranty issue that they did the right thing. All good so far.

Roosta
22-12-2012, 11:53am
I hope you do understand the there was no question that the cameras were fake, just the serial number plate on the bottom of the camera had been changed with a new serial number.

Graham - agb, It's more that they could be re-manufactured, not that they're fake. Advertised as new - but no Canon warranty card and the like. Just a first time buyer in the Grey world, looking for all the facts mate.

Wayne
22-12-2012, 12:12pm
Try B&H in NYC, site sponsor and ultra reputable. Shipping will cost more and they will declare it at true value, so GST will apply upon import.

I was going to recommend another of the grey market site sponsors, but having dealt with them this week on the D4, an $5000 purchase, I can't recommend them highly at all.

agb
22-12-2012, 12:23pm
Graham - agb, It's more that they could be re-manufactured, not that they're fake. Advertised as new - but no Canon warranty card and the like. Just a first time buyer in the Grey world, looking for all the facts mate.

All the lenses I have purchased with the exception of the 15-85 ef-s which came out of a kit, have been in Canon boxes with apparently original packaging and Canon warranty cards which of course are useless in this country as I understand Canon will not honour them. I seriously doubt they were re-manufactured.

Tommo1965
22-12-2012, 12:26pm
Hi Roosta

cant help with the lens question...but I can recommend DWI.. i've bought a few items from them in the last couple of weeks and shipping was fast..took 4 days to get from Hong Kong to Mundaring..not bad I reckon..they also have a ebay store that's a tickle cheaper, but with the same fast shipping and warranty's etc

Roosta
22-12-2012, 12:35pm
Try B&H in NYC, site sponsor and ultra reputable. Shipping will cost more and they will declare it at true value, so GST will apply upon import.

I was going to recommend another of the grey market site sponsors, but having dealt with them this week on the D4, an $5000 purchase, I can't recommend them highly at all.

Did look at B&H mate, but same as what agb mentions re warranty. Canon used to have a world wide warranty for L lenses, but not any more. Canon's T&C's regarding warranty are very clear as to the product must be purchased from an Aussie or Kiwi authorized retailer. So it leaves me with the same situation. Where as DD Photographics are in Sydney, and I have only (If needed) return to them.

I don't see an L giving any issues, but you/I never know. B&H, I'm guessing I'd have to send back to them for warranty, that's more worldwide shipping.

Hi Roosta

cant help with the lens question...but I can recommend DWI.. i've bought a few items from them in the last couple of weeks and shipping was fast..took 4 days to get from Hong Kong to Mundaring..not bad I reckon..they also have a ebay store that's a tickle cheaper, but with the same fast shipping and warranty's etc

Cheers Steve, nice to hear more positives about DWI.

nardes
22-12-2012, 12:56pm
I purchased a Canon 300mm F4L from Discount Digital Photographics when they had their office in Brisbane and discovered that it was front focusing on my Canon 40D which has no micro adjust. I returned the lens to DDP within the required 7 day period and once they confirmed the problem, they provided a replacement.

This was hopefully (?) a very rare case, although I was relieved that all I had to do was drive a few kms to DDP rather than package the lens and send it back overseas.

Cheers

Dennis

Old Skool
22-12-2012, 1:56pm
I've bought from DWI and DigitalRev and no issues with either and super quick delivery. Never had to use the warranty though so can't advise on that side of things.

Roosta
22-12-2012, 2:26pm
I purchased a Canon 300mm F4L from Discount Digital Photographics when they had their office in Brisbane and discovered that it was front focusing on my Canon 40D which has no micro adjust. I returned the lens to DDP within the required 7 day period and once they confirmed the problem, they provided a replacement.

This was hopefully (?) a very rare case, although I was relieved that all I had to do was drive a few kms to DDP rather than package the lens and send it back overseas.

Cheers

Dennis

Cheers Dennis - I would think that rare, but as mentioned, not impossible. The OZ factor is also a consideration of mine, nice to have a local shop so to speak.

I've bought from DWI and DigitalRev and no issues with either and super quick delivery. Never had to use the warranty though so can't advise on that side of things.

Thanks again Russell, hadn't looked at DigitalRev yet, but will do.

Thanks again to you both.

wanderer51
22-12-2012, 2:48pm
I have also bought from DWI...A Sigma 10-20 lens. No problems with them or the lens at all. Shipping was swift. The lens arrived in 5 days. I would have liked to bought local, but the savings by buying from HK (approx $150) made all the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Maybe I am a bit naive , but the way I look at is that the chances of anything going wrong with a lens in the warranty period (assuming it is in perfect working condition in the first place and that you look after it properly is pretty remote. So when it comes to a lens I don't particularly worry about the warranty being honoured in AU (a camera body would probably be a different story though).
I admit to never having thought about it being fake/remanufactured or whatever, but I would imagine that if you stick to a reputable seller your chances would be slim of getting one like that. :confused013

Roosta
22-12-2012, 4:12pm
I have also bought from DWI...A Sigma 10-20 lens. No problems with them or the lens at all. Shipping was swift. The lens arrived in 5 days. I would have liked to bought local, but the savings by buying from HK (approx $150) made all the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Maybe I am a bit naive , but the way I look at is that the chances of anything going wrong with a lens in the warranty period (assuming it is in perfect working condition in the first place and that you look after it properly is pretty remote. So when it comes to a lens I don't particularly worry about the warranty being honoured in AU (a camera body would probably be a different story though).
I admit to never having thought about it being fake/remanufactured or whatever, but I would imagine that if you stick to a reputable seller your chances would be slim of getting one like that. :confused013

Hay wanderer51 - Two things, If you go to CRKennedy.com.au and in the search box, type 'Price Match' you'll find that they'll match the HK sellers prices. CR's are the Aussie importers for various camera/digital products, well worth a look. All my Sigma stuff was purchased this way via Camera Electric in Perth with CR Kennedy's price matching. The product will have the usual 2 year full manufactures warranty. Local repairer as well.

If you read Rick's post, really, who would have thought that there would be a rote like Canon HK going on, I'm just being a little over cautious I guess. First real big dollar O/S purchase, from a grey importer.

I have heard of re-manufactured goods being passed on before. That's all, Cheers.

Thanks for your input.

wanderer51
22-12-2012, 6:38pm
Hi Roosta. The lens was bought over 12 months ago and I (unfortunately, otherwise I would have bought locally) didn't know about CRKennedy then, although I found out after I had bought it! I wouldn't buy a grey market body, preferring it to a be local purchase. The lens is the only thing I have bought grey market, both cameras have been purchased from DCW here in Melbourne, while the Sigma 28-300 was bought S/H from a well respected member of this forum. The rest of my bits and pieces, except for the ND110 (purchased in Sydney) have come from various AU based sponsors of this site.
I agree that not many people would think that Canon HK would be involved in such a sort, but as this rort (so far) appears to be confined to camera bodies I don't know how you tell if a lens is new or not. As one poster in Rick's thread pointed out, the serial number on a lens is etched somewhere inside it.
As for being 'overly cautious' about sending big $ overseas...so was I...especially sending a CC number to HK!!!! :2smile:
Cheers

JM Tran
22-12-2012, 7:33pm
Have had lenses fixed during warranty from DWI and eGlobal - all fixed locally in Sydney by contracted companies.

In the past my friends and I have had to send stuff back to the US from B&H, pain in the butt.

Roosta
23-12-2012, 12:26pm
Hi Roosta. The lens was bought over 12 months ago and I (unfortunately, otherwise I would have bought locally) didn't know about CRKennedy then, although I found out after I had bought it! I wouldn't buy a grey market body, preferring it to a be local purchase. The lens is the only thing I have bought grey market, both cameras have been purchased from DCW here in Melbourne, while the Sigma 28-300 was bought S/H from a well respected member of this forum. The rest of my bits and pieces, except for the ND110 (purchased in Sydney) have come from various AU based sponsors of this site.
I agree that not many people would think that Canon HK would be involved in such a sort, but as this rort (so far) appears to be confined to camera bodies I don't know how you tell if a lens is new or not. As one poster in Rick's thread pointed out, the serial number on a lens is etched somewhere inside it.
As for being 'overly cautious' about sending big $ overseas...so was I...especially sending a CC number to HK!!!! :2smile:
Cheers

Thanks mate. With you on camera bodies.

Have had lenses fixed during warranty from DWI and eGlobal - all fixed locally in Sydney by contracted companies.

In the past my friends and I have had to send stuff back to the US from B&H, pain in the butt.

Nice to know mate. Thanks for the input. BTW, have you had a go of the Sigma 35 mm yet? Interested to hear/read your thoughts if you've shot with it, and a link to pics.

JM Tran
23-12-2012, 1:24pm
Thanks mate. With you on camera bodies.

Nice to know mate. Thanks for the input. BTW, have you had a go of the Sigma 35 mm yet? Interested to hear/read your thoughts if you've shot with it, and a link to pics.

Not yet man, as I am in love with my Canon 35L.

But if I had to buy one again, I'd get the Sigma and save a bit of money:2smile:

Roosta
23-12-2012, 1:33pm
Not yet man, as I am in love with my Canon 35L.

But if I had to buy one again, I'd get the Sigma and save a bit of money:2smile:

Cheers mate.

Epicaricacy
24-12-2012, 1:12pm
I have purchased a few times from Camera Paradise now. Warranty seems to be good, generally an 18 month, door to door warranty.

I will be testing the warranty out soon as the CF drive in my mkiii doesn't seem to work, but I don't want to be without the camera over the holiday period. Not a major bummer as I am using the ad slot, but I have a couple of lovely 16gb cf cards raring to go!

Roosta
24-12-2012, 8:17pm
I have purchased a few times from Camera Paradise now. Warranty seems to be good, generally an 18 month, door to door warranty.

I will be testing the warranty out soon as the CF drive in my mkiii doesn't seem to work, but I don't want to be without the camera over the holiday period. Not a major bummer as I am using the ad slot, but I have a couple of lovely 16gb cf cards raring to go!

Thanks for the heads up. Hope you have a positive with the warranty.

Gonk0
25-12-2012, 8:36am
I have bought all my lenses from a site sponser eGlobal and can not fault them in any way at all.

I have had no issues with regard to warrany either as all my lenes have and are still working perfectly.

I hope this helps.:2smile:

ktoopi
25-12-2012, 9:42am
I have also purchased several items including lenses from both EGlobal and DWI.....can't fault the service or product from either company. I had an item on my doorstep three days later even though I ordered it at 11:00pm!! Never had to use the warranty though!:2smile:

Roosta
25-12-2012, 12:15pm
I have bought all my lenses from a site sponser eGlobal and can not fault them in any way at all.

I have had no issues with regard to warrany either as all my lenes have and are still working perfectly.

I hope this helps.:2smile:

Thanks for the feedback Gonk0 - Good to hear/read.

I have also purchased several items including lenses from both EGlobal and DWI.....can't fault the service or product from either company. I had an item on my doorstep three days later even though I ordered it at 11:00pm!! Never had to use the warranty though!:2smile:

Thanks ktoopi. Good to hear.

znelbok
28-12-2012, 9:59pm
D-D have a shopfront an Sydney and because they are an Aussie business they are governed by the Aus consumer laws so warranty applies should there be an issue.

So if that is a concern for you, that may be the way to go. If any of the others are registered in Australia then they too will have the same laws.

Using DD means you wont get and extra import duties as you are buying from there. I rang one of the other "local" businesses to ask if they had local stock and the didn't so there was a chance I would cop the import duties (its more than just GST).

I have not purchase from DD yet, but plan on using them for the next body purchase.

Mick

Roosta
31-12-2012, 1:47am
D-D have a shopfront an Sydney and because they are an Aussie business they are governed by the Aus consumer laws so warranty applies should there be an issue.

So if that is a concern for you, that may be the way to go. If any of the others are registered in Australia then they too will have the same laws.

Using DD means you wont get and extra import duties as you are buying from there. I rang one of the other "local" businesses to ask if they had local stock and the didn't so there was a chance I would cop the import duties (its more than just GST).

I have not purchase from DD yet, but plan on using them for the next body purchase.

Mick

Cheers Mick - D-D's won in the end all ends up. Service and price, also the idea of an Aussie shop front was a bonus.

Cheers,