PDA

View Full Version : Solo lady togs be aware! Creepy experience.

Analog6
21-12-2012, 7:31am
I had a very unsettling experience I had this morning. Ladies photographing solo in the Tweed area be aware.

I was taking shots along Tweed Valley Way of the river and the mist. I parked at the western end of the truck pull of area on Tweed Valley Way near Condong, with my car facing east (towards Tumbulgum). When I walked back to the car with my camera there was a white Mitsubishi 4WD with a roof rack and CB aerial, parked facing me, about 20m away, with a man in a red fluoro work shirt, shorts and boots standing beside the driver's door. As I drove off he smiled and nodded and I thought how nice it was to see a friendly face and smiled and nodded back.

He then turned and followed me, through Tumbulgum, into Terranora Rd, then when I turned to go along the Dulguigan Rd (north Tumbulgum) he followed me. By this time I was getting the wind up a bit and did not dare stop in my usual spot where I shoot the confluence of the two rivers. I drove along a couple of kms and did a U turn, and he followed me again. He then dropped away and I suddenly realised he could have taken my registration number and I did not have his. When I got to the bridge there was another car there with a man leaning on it talking on his phone, so I did a U turn and stopped there.

Lo and behold, he came along - which is when I took a photo of his car (passed on to Police) so I would have a record of the rego number, and parked behind me. I did a U turn to come home, and he did not seem to follow, and was not visible to me as I drove up Terranora Rd. When I got to the pull off at the old quarry along Terranora Rd, where you overlook the valley and Tweed Valley way, I started to slow down to photograph the mist and he was right behind me again. I kept going and he followed me to Bilambil Rd and did a U turn. I came home.

I was very shaken and believe this man was stalking me, despite the fact that I am an overweight lady of nearly 60. I've reported this to the Police, although I realise they can't do anything when it is just a one person complaint and no witnesses, but at least they'll have a record so that if there's other reports of similar happenings in the district they can maybe see a pattern.

ricktas
21-12-2012, 7:48am
Very strange Odille. And a timely reminder to be aware of your surroundings. He may not have been stalking YOU as such, but rather had an eye on your camera gear (which is very much worth stealing). Either way good on you for taking his photo and reporting it.

Cargo
21-12-2012, 8:11am
Very creepy and scary Odille,
Always pays to heed to that sixth sense of wrongness, I glad nothing happened and that you were able to get a photo of his car.
Your vigilance may end up helping some-one else ..... Good on ya for that
Cargo

Tikira
21-12-2012, 8:27am
Hi Odille
What a scary experience, and one I am sure will rock the foundations of your confidence when out alone for a while. I am sorry some weirdo was out getting thrills from freaking you aout, and I am pleased you were able to pass a photo of his car on to the police, it just may help someone else. :love4:

Di

Wayne
21-12-2012, 8:31am
s43 Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) act covers menacing driving.

What you have described, could constitute an offence under that legislation. Depending upon the responses (if any) the POI gives when interviewed, police could bring charge.

Kym
21-12-2012, 8:52am
I try an play it safe and have my wife with me when out on shoots :D :tog:

Seriously... That would creep anyone out. You did the right thing!

Cage
21-12-2012, 9:15am
What an upsetting experience Odille.

It's sad that you can't smile and nod at someone without that gesture being misinterpreted as a 'come on signal'.

That very freaky man sounds like he needs help.

Analog6
21-12-2012, 1:38pm
Thanks all, and I think what Rick said was an insult but it's hard to tell (just joking Rick!).

It was seriously creepy, a very long way from the nearest cop shop and lonely roads.

Police were lovely, they will email me an incident report, they cannot act on one person's word (I understand that) but it will now be on record. There were 2 male and one female officers on the desk and they all thought it was fairly strange behaviour - it's the 3 U turns that clinch it for me.They checked but no black ticks against car /driver (Qld rego plate). It was quite distinctive with a basket roof rack, 4 fishing rod holders on the bullbar, and a whip aerial. And I have rubber banded the picture to my sun visor so I'll know the bugger again.

And it is not as though that was my usual routine, although it is a spot I often use on foggy mornings. It was a very spur of the moment trip, and I'd say his actions were spur of the moment too.

At least I'm using my big heavy tripod now after the contretemps at the weekend so at least I could scythe someone off at the knees if they get close enough!

ricktas
21-12-2012, 2:06pm
Thanks all, and I think what Rick said was an insult but it's hard to tell (just joking Rick!).

Insult? Sorry I am confused?

Ah. I re-read what I posted and see where you are coming from. Sorry, Odille, no insult intended or implied. I just had a suspicion you were more than likely being followed to see if he could find out where you live, then when you are not home, helps himself to a nice load of camera gear..and more.

Friends of mine recently purchased a very large screen tv and were robbed the same night..tv gone. One of their children mentioned seeing a guy at the shop who looked like a guy who was parked across the road from their home during the afternoon. Police went back to store, got footage and sure enough, a guy in the store pretending to be a customer had seen their purchase, followed them home and robbed them, all in the same day. He was caught with the tv in his house the next day.

My suspicion with your fellow, Odille, that the odds of him wanted to break in a steal stuff are much greater (as our police statistics show) than being someone who wanted to attack a lone female. I did not mean to imply he would not want to attack you, for any reason. But either way, you being observant has probably succeeded in putting him off.

Duane Pipe
21-12-2012, 2:49pm
Very spooky Odille . I was listening to a police scanner one night, there was a report that a thief walked into a flat and stole a telly, big deal!!!! While the victim was home watching it:2enew: desperate crims do desperate things

SirLozalot
21-12-2012, 3:12pm
Creepy. Glad you are ok Odille.

Mary Anne
21-12-2012, 3:25pm
Sorry to read this Odille and good on you for doing the sensible thing and reporting him also glad you are Ok..

Analog6
21-12-2012, 3:39pm
Yes, he didn't follow me home and I always tuck the car away so no way of knowing where I live but we'll be vigilant for a few days. Then again, he might have thought I was a visitor with all my gear in the car being up for holidays. We are in a holiday area.

I was just having a little leg pull Rick :2smile:

Lance B
21-12-2012, 3:39pm
I am in agreeance with Rick, I think he was looking to steal your camera gear from your car or home or maybe even roll you for it when you stopped in some other secluded area. It is great that you were so vigilant. I am always on the lookout for suspicious looking people like this.

old dog
21-12-2012, 5:56pm
glad there was no big problems Odille. My wife was out for a walk with the grandy a week ago and a bloke in a car slowed down and made an indecent gesture to her. Julie`s son was right behind her about 5 metres or so at the time. We talked to the police and they said to leave it alone and stay away from the creep. What a world it is turning out to be. Sad.

Kerrie
21-12-2012, 6:22pm
Glad your okay! I used to get the spooks when I first started trying sunrises. I was only 200mts up from where I lived, but every time a bloke came past I got very wary, and i see Rick's point - I was concerned they could pinch my gear.

alot can be said for a German Shepherd caddy at times like this.

Lance B
21-12-2012, 6:51pm
glad there was no big problems Odille. My wife was out for a walk with the grandy a week ago and a bloke in a car slowed down and made an indecent gesture to her. Julie`s son was right behind her about 5 metres or so at the time. We talked to the police and they said to leave it alone and stay away from the creep. What a world it is turning out to be. Sad.

Yeah, years ago, the cops would have been able to have a "talk" to the guy and "convince" him not to do that sort of thing. Nowadays, your wife would probably have to pay him compensation for making him want to make a rude gesture at her.

Analog6
21-12-2012, 7:22pm
I'd love to be able to have a dog but our place is totally unsuitable, with no fencing and the school next door. I don't beleive in leaving dogs tied up and anyway it would go mad with teh noisy schoolkinds. The people over the road had to find another home for their dog - he becamse quite vicious due to the kids throwing stuff over the fence at him when there was no one home.

old dog
21-12-2012, 7:31pm
if you read this Lance.....the cop, who Julie knows quite well, advised her that it would not be a good idea to even talk to this dude. What a world it has become. Reprisals are too frequent and must be avoided. Gee, in my days as a youngster the local cop walked the streets anf kicked the local scumbags up the a..... You can`t upset them (the local scumbags) nowdays as you may stifle their creative spirit....glad tonight is the end of the world...

Ezookiel
21-12-2012, 9:30pm
Good to see someone is in touch with their in built sense of danger and intuition.
I saw a TV article a little while back that showed how humans are one of the only animals that consistently ignore their own sixth sense that something is wrong and march right into disaster.
It gave multiple examples of people who ended up in disastrous situations because they ignored the alarm bells going off in their head - the woman who got home and her garbage bin had been placed where it blocked her entire driveway, despite all her inner alarm bells saying something was wrong and to drive on and come back with friends or come back later, she ignored it and got out of her car to move it, where she was promptly attacked by her ex-husband who had placed it there to make her get out of her car where he could get to her. It had heaps of other examples - the person who got a real creepy feeling from the person already in the elevator when the doors opened, and instead of pretending they forgot something in their room and walking away to get a different elevator, they ignored that sense and got into the elevator with that person - moments later the person stopped the lift between floors and assaulted them. Example after example of people who said that every part of them had tried to warn them at the time, and they had dismissed all those inner warnings and alarm bells, and pushed on into disaster.

So people, please pay attention to your intuition! Both males and females, If you have inner alarm bells telling you something isn't right, then LISTEN TO THEM!!! Trust your intuition and instinct. You'll be surprised how accurate it can be, and even if it turned out your intuition was wrong, the result is generally harmless - you went an extra lap of the block, you caught a different lift, or in the case above, you delayed going straight home and did a few U-Turns to check that your senses were right - but ignoring it when it is right might well be disastrous.

Allie
21-12-2012, 10:49pm
Odille, it is always good to be vigilant in circumstances like these, so I am glad you were so aware of your surroundings and thank you for providing a warning to others to be more observant. Sounds as if he was quite obvious so, most likely, he wouldn't be a very effective criminal especially as this continued after you took the photo. Other than time constraints and, of course, not all circumstances would warrant this, I still don't see why police could not do an obvious drive-by of the registered place of residence when a report like this is made (no contact necessary) if only to make such a person aware that his actions have been noted.

As an aside, interestingly I do have a German Shepherd Dog and my greatest concern if our house was ever burgled is the safety of my dog rather than anything else.

Analog6
22-12-2012, 9:00am
Good to see someone is in touch with their in built sense of danger and intuition.
I saw a TV article a little while back that showed how humans are one of the only animals that consistently ignore their own sixth sense that something is wrong and march right into disaster.
It gave multiple examples of people who ended up in disastrous situations because they ignored the alarm bells going off in their head - the woman who got home and her garbage bin had been placed where it blocked her entire driveway, despite all her inner alarm bells saying something was wrong and to drive on and come back with friends or come back later, she ignored it and got out of her car to move it, where she was promptly attacked by her ex-husband who had placed it there to make her get out of her car where he could get to her. It had heaps of other examples - the person who got a real creepy feeling from the person already in the elevator when the doors opened, and instead of pretending they forgot something in their room and walking away to get a different elevator, they ignored that sense and got into the elevator with that person - moments later the person stopped the lift between floors and assaulted them. Example after example of people who said that every part of them had tried to warn them at the time, and they had dismissed all those inner warnings and alarm bells, and pushed on into disaster.

So people, please pay attention to your intuition! Both males and females, If you have inner alarm bells telling you something isn't right, then LISTEN TO THEM!!! Trust your intuition and instinct. You'll be surprised how accurate it can be, and even if it turned out your intuition was wrong, the result is generally harmless - you went an extra lap of the block, you caught a different lift, or in the case above, you delayed going straight home and did a few U-Turns to check that your senses were right - but ignoring it when it is right might well be disastrous.

It's interesting you should say this because I had what I can best describe as a heavy and unsettled feeling from the moment I turned on to Tweed Valley Way on my way into Murwillumbah to meet Warwick. It was so strong I checked the weather site from Warwick's computer as I thought a storm might have been moving in. I did stop to get diesel in Murwillumbah on my way back and there was another vehicle there, but it didn't register on me at the time, it was whitethough. I wonder if he followed me from there?

I never ignore my intuitions, I'd rather feel a bit silly than have a mishap.

NikonNellie
22-12-2012, 9:47am
Very unsettling for you Odille. I am not far behind you in age and I certainly don't feel that I would have the strength to fight off an attacker. :mad:
I often feel vulnerable when I go out for a photog outing by myself - especially if I go looking for birds in the bush or a sunrise shoot at a beach when on holidays. I refuse to go on the sensible side and just not get myself in isolated situations - I enjoy my own company and treasure the time I have to myself. It's very sad that, in today's society, we can't feel safe because of other people's greed/lust, etc.

ameerat42
22-12-2012, 11:59am
...glad tonight is the end of the world...

Alas! Nowadays we can't even get that right.
Am(ope).

Shelley
23-12-2012, 11:28pm
Glad you were okay and take care out there.

lenscap
24-12-2012, 12:31am
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I have been hesitant to go out on my own for some time now since being 'creeped out' by a loathesome stranger. It's a pity because I used to like going out on 'photo drives' and exploring new ground.

re Ezookiel .... I had a nasty lift incident but I was already in the lift.

bricat
24-12-2012, 7:07am
Well done on trusting your instincts and everything turned out OK. NOW WARNING CALL 000 and report it as it is happening. Do not wait. Police don't mind attending calls where someone is in possilble danger. Don't feel embarrassed if it turns out to be harmless(I doubt it in this situation and even if they can't take any action then, he has had a scare himself) It is not as if you are calling the police every 5 minutes. I'm glad you are ok cheers Brian

Analog6
24-12-2012, 9:20am
Well done on trusting your instincts and everything turned out OK. NOW WARNING CALL 000 and report it as it is happening. Do not wait. Police don't mind attending calls where someone is in possilble danger. Don't feel embarrassed if it turns out to be harmless(I doubt it in this situation and even if they can't take any action then, he has had a scare himself) It is not as if you are calling the police every 5 minutes. I'm glad you are ok cheers Brian

I thought about it Brian but twice when I checked the phone I had no coverage. I had the Vodafone with me not the telstra mobile, silly me.

ricktas
24-12-2012, 9:56am
I thought about it Brian but twice when I checked the phone I had no coverage. I had the Vodafone with me not the telstra mobile, silly me.

Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. It could come in handy for a whole range of reasons, snake bite, fall, medical condition. I cart one with me now when I go out taking photos cause you never know when you might experience an issue, and your mobile phone doesn't have coverage.

Dittography
24-12-2012, 10:26am
When I go out by myself, which can be a spur of the moment decision, I take my Spot GPS messenger and open the web page that shows my location so my wife knows where I am. It plots my location every 10 minutes If something does go wrong there are a few options to send an I'm ok message, I need help but it's not urgent message or the full blown Epirb emergency signal.
A few weeks ago I had two flat tyres coming home from taking some photos in the evening but luckily I was in mobile range and was able to call home to get help (which reminds me I must put the air compressor back into the 4wd).
If it had have happened a little earlier when I was out of mobile coverage I could have called for help with the Spot and the map would have shown where to find me. It's good peace of mind or me and for my wife.

Lance B
24-12-2012, 4:41pm
Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. It could come in handy for a whole range of reasons, snake bite, fall, medical condition. I cart one with me now when I go out taking photos cause you never know when you might experience an issue, and your mobile phone doesn't have coverage.

I had never thought of that, but it would be a great idea to invest in one. Thanks for the tip, Rick.

Analog6
24-12-2012, 4:47pm
When I go out by myself, which can be a spur of the moment decision, I take my Spot GPS messenger and open the web page that shows my location so my wife knows where I am. It plots my location every 10 minutes If something does go wrong there are a few options to send an I'm ok message, I need help but it's not urgent message or the full blown Epirb emergency signal.
A few weeks ago I had two flat tyres coming home from taking some photos in the evening but luckily I was in mobile range and was able to call home to get help (which reminds me I must put the air compressor back into the 4wd).
If it had have happened a little earlier when I was out of mobile coverage I could have called for help with the Spot and the map would have shown where to find me. It's good peace of mind or me and for my wife.

How does this work? Can you post some links?

The EPIRB is a good idea too.

ricktas
24-12-2012, 4:55pm
http://www.findmespot.net.au/SPOT-GPS-Messenger.html

Note there is an annual 'subscription' that needs to be paid to use some of the features.

Dittography
24-12-2012, 5:14pm
Here's a link to the Aus website http://www.findmespot.net.au (http://www.findmespot.net.au/) There's a good bit of info there that explains it better than I could. But basically you can log onto your account before heading off and set up pre-programmed messages and recipients (via sms and/or email). I've set up messages along the lines of:
"I'm ok but running late so don't worry" This one goes to my wife.
"I'm ok but need some help" This one goes to my wife and friends that are willing/capable of helping

and then there's the things have gone bad and I need emergency help message that also goes to the emergency services as per an epirb alert.

The real time tracking is an additional annual service cost but worth it for me. I like it because if I do need help they can see where I've been to work out how to get to me and also if I'm unable to activate the spot it will sit there and keep sending my location and when my wife realises it's late and she hasn't heard from me she can raise the alarm. Like I mentioned earlier if I get up early and head off for a couple of hours my wife can see where i am and also tell if I'm on my way home. It's handy for fishing trips in the boat too..

Analog6
24-12-2012, 9:22pm
Thanks chaps. I've put that on my wishlist. Once I sell the Blad that wiuill definitely be in my glovebox with a year's subs.

Jcas
25-12-2012, 3:56pm
Sorry you had to endure this, but thanks for sharing, it can help to make us all a bit more aware.

Mark L
25-12-2012, 9:43pm
Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. ....

They may not be in instant solution, though my experience with the Rural Fire Service and related aviation tells me that someone will definitely be on the job and responding the relevant people if you activate an EPIRB.

Analog6
26-12-2012, 6:43am
It wiould have to be pretty serious for me to activate an EPIRB, I must admit. I've worled with Emergency Services people too, no way would I scramble a response team unless there was a real danger. But the GPS thingy does appeal.

Steve Axford
29-12-2012, 10:44am
I'm not sure an Epirb is the answer to this sort of thing. Usually you can get emergency service on your mobile (SOS only) by dialling 121. EPIRBS are really for being lost in the bush or at sea and allow the emergency services to locate you, but do not allow conversations. There's nothing like a mobile phone to put of a stalker.

Allie
29-12-2012, 1:21pm
I'm not sure an Epirb is the answer to this sort of thing. Usually you can get emergency service on your mobile (SOS only) by dialling 121. EPIRBS are really for being lost in the bush or at sea and allow the emergency services to locate you, but do not allow conversations. There's nothing like a mobile phone to put of a stalker.

You may be right regarding the EPIRB value in this situation but the value as mentioned by Rick is that a signal would be available in locations where a mobile was not and Odille stated that she had no mobile reception so dialling 121 and speaking to an ES operator was not an option. A mobile with a camera and a GPS is certainly of use in many situations including this if reception is present.

Steve Axford
29-12-2012, 2:50pm
I'm not certain that Odille said she couldn't get SOS. You can get SOS on mobiles irrespective of the network you are on as it will use other networks as well. It's worth checking as it will often work, and it is a better option than an epirb. My mobile rarely works near home, but I can usually get SOS - not that I've dialled it, it just says I can. I wonder if there's a way of testing it without annoying the operators?

Allie
29-12-2012, 3:40pm
Very handy to know Steve - my house in the hills was almost a complete dead spot due to a concealed valley location which is the only reason I had Telstra and a landline and even that was iffy most of the time - but in an emergency anything is worth a try - hopefully none of us ever have the need to find out how well this works.

ving
29-12-2012, 3:52pm
very spooky indeed. and as rick stated a timely reminder. be careful out there peeps!

Debra Faulkner
29-12-2012, 3:58pm
Just for interest, the emergency number is actually 112 (not 121).

Ezookiel
29-12-2012, 7:26pm
Bear in mind that there is a safety/security app you can get for your smart phone that you keep running in your hand if you are feeling nervous, and if you are approached by anyone you don't want approaching you, you can point it at the person to activate it instantly and it sends their photo to any number of contacts you wish to specify, and it also sounds an alarm and then starts to record audio (and I think video) and won't stop till you tell it to.
It may not stop you being attacked, but it makes the attacker aware that a photo of them has now been sent out to everyone, and everything they have said and done has also been sent, so it might put them off doing anything that they'd not want to be identified for, and if the worst does happen, at least the authorities have everything they could need to help find the person.
It won't send however if there's no reception but will probably keep trying till there is and will probably still store the information.

Mark L
29-12-2012, 8:43pm
Just for interest, the emergency number is actually 112 (not 121).

Debra is right, and it should work if you have no mobile phone coverage. I believe it somehow uses satellites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_%28emergency_telephone_number%29
End of first paragraph, "...., or Australia where emergency calls are redirected to 000."
A well thought of option Steve.

aussie girl
29-12-2012, 8:52pm
This incident is extremely concerning. Didnt you say you pulled in next to the other man on his phone stopped by the side of the road?? Maybe he could have been a witness to this man pulling in behind you. When you look at this situation, it makes you think of what his intentions may have been and what he could have done. What if you had returned to you car to find that you had a flat tyre - let down by him perhaps?? this would have left you in a very dangerous position with no escape. In some areas, you may not have mobile phone reception, so will not be able to call anyone for help either. I generally do NOT go out by myself to take photos. I did once up round the dirt roads behind McLaren Vale, but I just did not feel right about it. I kept thinking about what would happen if a group of lads stopped, or someone else started hanging around. And because we usually only have weekends to go for a drive, and hubby just likes to drive, I often see stuff I would like to take a photo of, but it just sails on into the distance as we drive by. Oh well, maybe next time.

As for creeps out there, many many years ago, my cousin lost her best friend to a murderer. She was driving home after doing a pottery party plan show. He had started following her and had rammed his car into the back of hers so that she had to stop and pull over. He grabbed her and forced her into his car and sadly she was murdered. This creep just happened to work in the same factory as my husband, and he had been heard telling people at work about how he had run into the back of a woman when she stopped suddenly, which was his alibi if anyone asked about the damage to his car.
There are some nutters out there so be careful and dont take risks

Ezookiel
29-12-2012, 9:04pm
Phones with zero coverage cannot use satellites to make SOS calls. If they could we'd not need satellite phones for emergencies out in the outback. No coverage means just that.
The only time SOS calls work is if you have coverage from a company other than your own, it will still go through the other company's network. This will also work when you have no credit, or even no sim card in the phone, but it will not work if there are no companies providing coverage there. Do not rely on being able to call from a phone that is out of range. Standard mobile phones do not have the electronics to make a satellite call. It requires a satellite phone to do that.

bobt
29-12-2012, 10:09pm
I believe this man was stalking me, despite the fact that I am an overweight lady of nearly 60.

You did the right thing alright, and I agree with all the serious comments here, but I must correct you on one small point. We overweight people in our 60's are extremely desirable - I tell myself that all the time! I also tell my wife that she is equally attractive (which she is) and it also helps me earn brownie points towards my next camera. 60 is the new 35 isn't it ? OK .... 55 then ..... :2enew:

Mark L
29-12-2012, 10:58pm
Phones with zero coverage cannot use satellites to make SOS calls. If they could we'd not need satellite phones for emergencies out in the outback. No coverage means just that.
The only time SOS calls work is if you have coverage from a company other than your own, it will still go through the other company's network. This will also work when you have no credit, or even no sim card in the phone, but it will not work if there are no companies providing coverage there. Do not rely on being able to call from a phone that is out of range. Standard mobile phones do not have the electronics to make a satellite call. It requires a satellite phone to do that.

Just did some w.w.w. research, and Ez is right.
If you dial 000, it will only be carried by your home network – that is to say if you have no coverage from your home network, 000 won't work but 112 will if another company is providing coverage.

Analog6
30-12-2012, 6:55am
You did the right thing alright, and I agree with all the serious comments here, but I must correct you on one small point. We overweight people in our 60's are extremely desirable - I tell myself that all the time! I also tell my wife that she is equally attractive (which she is) and it also helps me earn brownie points towards my next camera. 60 is the new 35 isn't it ? OK .... 55 then ..... :2enew:

Thanls Bob, my other half and I concur too :). I think I was just unlucky and struck a creep. Hopefully he is not local but a blow down from 'up thar' (he had Qld plates, but so do a lot of locals).