PDA

View Full Version : Sand in my focus ring

nwhc
19-12-2012, 10:10am
Hi all,

Had a little incident yesterday where i had to choose between my 2yr and my camera, a bunch of idiots had there dogs running wild in the national park!
So my 5D and the 24-105 ended up in the sand, I was very careful and didnt move anything until i had removed most of the sand that i could see but the focus now sounds and feels very gritty(still works) but for how long.

Does anyone have any experience with sand in the lens? Will it work its way out or am i looking for some $$ to have it cleaned.

thanks for any help

CarlR
21-12-2012, 3:27pm
I'd pay the money and get it cleaned.

Roosta
21-12-2012, 7:23pm
Over here in Perth, I had my 70 - 200 mm L lens cleaned and tested/serviced for $99.00. That was a full pull apart, test the USM and so on. So well worth it.

I wouldn't be turning the focus or zoom rings nwhc. Not sure how old your 24-105 mm is, but they suffer from Ribbon Failure, so while apart, it might be worth looking at, if you have a older version. Just a thought, not meant to scare/frighten you.

nwhc
23-12-2012, 7:30pm
the lens is maybe 6 months old, it really makes me angry thinking about it! i will make some calls and see what i can do the worst part is i only have my 100mm macro for xmas pics now.