PDA

View Full Version : Help on how to catch the best Lightning shots

AnnieP
18-12-2012, 7:44pm
There is a big storm on it's way and I am hoping to get some shots... what I'm after hints and tips, settings etc... to help me grab that great shot!

The equipment I have is on my signature... I also have a good tripod now, and Photoshop! (but can't work out how to change my Sig)

All ideas welcome!

Thanks

Ann

PS Can't spell - Lightning!

rookie
18-12-2012, 8:04pm
tripod
cable release
f8
manual focus
ISO 100
bulb
Im no expert but this is a starting point

AnnieP
18-12-2012, 8:47pm
Thanks Wayne!

the storm looks like it may go round me... again! I also use an iPhone app which I also have started using, which automatically senses when the lightning strikes and take a photo.

Mark L
18-12-2012, 9:26pm
Wayne has a good starting point. Maybe even a higher f/# if you're not totally sure where it will strike. Once you have you're focus don't try and change it to much.
You won't get any lightening if the shutter isn't open. How long you leave the shutter open can depend upon any other light(s) in frame. Take as many exposures as you can.
Sometimes it's worth trying to get more than one strike in a photo. These where all f/16, ISO100, 25sec. #2 has three strikes and #3 is two strikes. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?111217-Brief-lightening-storm
And stay safe around storms.

Andrew.S
18-12-2012, 9:34pm
my 2 cents worth.

I expose for the background nothing over F5 100iso, lock the cable release to shoot continuous walk to the esky open a scotch and have drink while the camera works away.

AnnieP
18-12-2012, 9:36pm
Thank you Mark. Unfortunately it's all sheet lightning at the moment....hopefully it will change... but so far today
we've given up!