PDA

View Full Version : D800 at Jb Hfi

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 1:01pm
D800 at Jbhif is 10% off this weekend {8-9/12/12} in WA at least..also they have a trade your old camera in deal for a further $300 off..the old camera can be anything..even a old phone with a camera...takes the price to $2850 for a Aussie version with a two year warranty...im sorely tempted to get one and move the D700 along...

I @ M
09-12-2012, 2:43pm
If you do splash the cash Steve, keep the D700 because --

#1 The D800 is not a D700 replacement!!

#2 You will end up kicking yourself later if you get rid of it.

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 2:48pm
LOL..I know andrew..but I cant have both mate...its either one or the other ...!

what do you feel is lacking in the D800 that the d700 does better ? ....I know that processing the files is about three time longer on my current desktop...using such plug-in such as Topaz denoise etc

I @ M
09-12-2012, 3:40pm
Steve, I reckon I could hold a 3 hour conversation about the 2 cameras and never identify things that are "lacking" in either because to me they are 2 completely different cameras built for different purposes.

Processing requirements are always going to be a learning curve when you go to a different camera so long as you keep using the prehistoric complicated and sloth like a$obe products, conversely I find the processing requirements for D800 files to be shorter if anything as they require less doing to them and what you do end up doing is done at a far more accurate level due to the higher resolution. Mind you, I am referring getting them ready for print not just for web usage where they are wasted in my opinion.

If you can only have the one body and from what I know of your shooting and the ultimate output I would stick with the D700 as it simply does a great job already.

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 6:35pm
Steve, I reckon I could hold a 3 hour conversation about the 2 cameras and never identify things that are "lacking" in either because to me they are 2 completely different cameras built for different purposes.

Processing requirements are always going to be a learning curve when you go to a different camera so long as you keep using the prehistoric complicated and sloth like a$obe products, conversely I find the processing requirements for D800 files to be shorter if anything as they require less doing to them and what you do end up doing is done at a far more accurate level due to the higher resolution. Mind you, I am referring getting them ready for print not just for web usage where they are wasted in my opinion.

If you can only have the one body and from what I know of your shooting and the ultimate output I would stick with the D700 as it simply does a great job already.

LOL..too late mate.. she's gone { gumtree listed for 24hrs}...a new camera is in me future..as me old man used to say..moneys made round to go round ..and a new body will get me out clicking for a few weeks

I didn't buy a Jb hifi D800, as Ill give me local shop a chance to price one up for me....if no ill wait for a xmas sale ..bound to be a few more before the 25th

fair play on the differences between the two..pity you ain't down the road mate as it would be great to catch up and crap on about cameras for a while

Warren Ackary
09-12-2012, 7:52pm
You guys are sooo lucky to be talking about this.. I had a D700 & a 70-200VR.. I desperately needed an all round lens so traded to D700 in for the Nikon 24-70, all I had left was enough to buy a nearly dead D300 (which took great images due to the top quality glass).

Im now sitting here with a 24-70/70-200 & a....... D7000 :( A big drop for me as means changed cards, got to get a battery grip & batteries... makes me think I should have kept the D700 & just got a 50mm lens.. I have been informed to hold my breath if I want a D700 ever again

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 11:19pm
tough call warren..something im glad I didn't have to do..im slowly upgrading my gear, about 8 months back I went from a D300s to a D700..both bodies were bought used, I wanted a D800 when they first came out but opted for the D700 and later picked up a used 24-70...now with the Nikon trade in deal of $300 and the retailers having stock and keen to deal I find that I can now make that jump to a new D800....that should be it for the next couple of years I hope...but still had to sell the D700 to make the switch

the D7000 is a very capable camera and sometimes better than the D700 if reach is a issue..in good light there's no difference in image quality and you now have a great lens to bolt on the front..so don't be too sad mate

Wayne
09-12-2012, 11:41pm
Steve, well done mate, you won't regret a D800 buy.

I have prepared an advertisement for my D3s with the intention of getting the D4 now that they have dropped in price somewhat. I am amazed that within 12 months, D4 can be had new from the grey market for US$5100, but even more surprising is the huge drop in value of D800's being sold brand new by people who bought them but haven't used them, or who have only put a few hundred clicks on them, I am seeing them for US$2400 very regularly and even new from grey sellers for $2450!! (in stock). That is $1K less than many want for an AUS stock item..

Tommo1965
10-12-2012, 12:35am
Cheers Wayne..yeah I was quite surprised with the online prices I saw today, @$2450 that's quite a saving over the cheapest local price of $2850...with $300 trade in deal..although the 2 year warranty might be worth it..plus there's the possible duty to pay if it gets caught at customs , any grey importers with local stock doing good deals?

If it does get pulled up at customs that would push the price up near the local price what with postage and all

Lance B
10-12-2012, 12:41am
I haven't used my D700 since getting my D800 and nor am I likely to. I see absolutely no circumstance where I would want the D700 over my D800 and for that reason my D700 is going up for sale.

Warren Ackary
10-12-2012, 9:47am
I haven't used my D700 since getting my D800 and nor am I likely to. I see absolutely no circumstance where I would want the D700 over my D800 and for that reason my D700 is going up for sale.

So what are you doing with your D700 Lance, backup body?

Lance B
10-12-2012, 12:33pm
So what are you doing with your D700 Lance, backup body?

I am going to sell it off, only has 14,000 clicks and is in superb condition so I should get good money for it. :2smile: I am getting a D800E to complement my D800. :2smile:

Warren Ackary
10-12-2012, 7:22pm
I am going to sell it off, only has 14,000 clicks and is in superb condition so I should get good money for it. :2smile: I am getting a D800E to complement my D800. :2smile:

If only I had the $ I may oblige Lance... I fell in love with FF.. the D7000 as you said is good but due to the damage to my hand I need a grip or bigger body. If I had double lenses I would sell one.

Tommo1965
10-12-2012, 7:31pm
just a conclusion to my upgrade aspirations..I emailed all the shops around me the deal that Jbs were prepared to offer...only one said they would match it no problem..plus they had stock..so now I have a new D800 with a Aussie warranty and because I bought it in December from a camera house that's extended another year..so three years all up...all for $2850..im well chuffed and battery is on charge as I type.

blimey, i didn't see this coming on Friday night

Warren Ackary
10-12-2012, 7:44pm
just a conclusion to my upgrade aspirations..I emailed all the shops around me the deal that Jbs were prepared to offer...only one said they would match it no problem..plus they had stock..so now I have a new D800 with a Aussie warranty and because I bought it in December from a camera house that's extended another year..so three years all up...all for $2850..im well chuffed and battery is on charge as I type.

Congrats mate, well done! :nlogo:

Lance B
10-12-2012, 9:20pm

Well done. It's a superb camera!

- - - Updated - - -

If only I had the $ I may oblige Lance... I fell in love with FF.. the D7000 as you said is good but due to the damage to my hand I need a grip or bigger body. If I had double lenses I would sell one.

No Problems. I am sure I can get a buyer for it. :2smile:

Wayne
10-12-2012, 11:22pm
Nice one Steve, that is a good local deal if it is genuine Aus stock.

I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the D4, just need to confirm stock with the offshore reseller. $5089AUD!

arthurking83
10-12-2012, 11:23pm

Maaaate!

I saw it coming months ago! :p

Whoot! ... have fun with it.

Tommo1965
11-12-2012, 12:45am
Cheers guys..lmao Arthur, it was inevitable I guess..

So far so good..the difference between it and the d700 is enough to make it feel foreign to me, more so than the move from the d300s....one thing I can't suss out is how to set the af area to anything other than auto or single point...how do I get 9 and the 21 point areas to display in the top LCD ?..or the 3d tracking..its got me stumped ...I press the Af selector and turn the sub commander wheel but only single point or auto is displayed

the resolution is insane..and I'll need more ram in the desktop methinks..4GB ain't gonna cut it.

Ok just worked it out..seems the other points will only be selectable if afc is selected ..that's not as good as the d700 as I could select 9 or 21 in AFS as well

arthurking83
11-12-2012, 8:54am
press the little button where your D700 has the CSM(Continuous/Single/Manual) focus switch.

It's been changed from a simple three way switch to a two way switch and button.

You press the button and hold it whilst rotating the Command and Sub Command wheels to alter the focus mode types.

Front dial will change number of points from S to d9, d21, d51, 3Dand to Auto.(you can see this on the top LCD.

Rear command wheel will change from AF-S to AF-C(single shot focus mode, or continuous)

I @ M
11-12-2012, 9:41am
All Nikon Australia stock is supplied by Nikon Asia which are based in Hong Kong.
If the warranty card says Nikon Australia it is one that has been supplied to Nikon Australia from Nikon Hong Kong and then on to a local retailer.
Stop panicking Steve. :D

Updated,
just had a look at a box and it has D800 (HK) on the main sticker on the end of the box and HK on the accessory box.

Tommo1965
11-12-2012, 9:57am
cheers Arthur..

one strange thing is the accessory box has a HK sticker on it, but was bought from a big chain store and has the Nikon warranty card inside saying distributed by Nikon Australia ..I had a D300s that had a AU sticker on the warranty card indicating Australia I would have thought..seems strange ...you blokes that have bought locally...do you have a AU sticker on that BOX ?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Andrew..I didnt think a camera house store would stitch me up..but you never know in this sick sad world ...but thanks for clearing that up for me mate .

Tommo1965
11-12-2012, 4:24pm
just checked me lenses with the D800..af is spot on with all of them...left right and centre ...now to go and take some pictures :2smile:

arthurking83
11-12-2012, 10:56pm
Mine was purchased over the counter at Vanbar.
From my understanding, they're bona fide Nikon Au resellers .. warranty bizzo and all that stuff.

BUT!! mine has Nikon HK all over it.
The sticker on the box is littered with small Asian 'hieroglyphics' .. barley a word of English. There is a listing of the contents, in 4 languages English and 3 other Asian dialects.

Warranty card is Nikon Au, says so, but the product(code) is definitely listed as Nikon HK!!

That is the distributor listed on this warranty card says Nikon Australia P/L, but the product model is listed as D800E HK SET.

All serial numbers check out, Vanbar have a pretty good reputation to maintain, so I think they're legit .. maybe the E doesn't sell in numbers and Nikon AU get them from Nikon HK or something. :confused:

Anyhow, I'm thinking all is good .. at least I have no issues with it, which was my main concern(and hence why I wanted it over the counter from a reputable source) ... none of this focus issues, and lockup problems and stuff like that.

If only I could get these damned CF cards to work properly, I'd be 100% happy.

Whilst on a bit of a chat about D800's ....

I'm having trouble with getting more than 15 frames before the buffer fills up and locks the camera down.
Camera set to 100 frames in the shooting menu, card is now a fast Lexar card(800x UDMA7) .. has very good write speed(tested), good, not fantastic, but the camera refuses to allow more than 15 frames before the camera stops to a 1 frame every 2sec dawdle.

I suppose if there was a reason to prefer the D700(or even D300!!) over the D800, that'd be for faced paced continuous shooting.
I'm about to set up some different image quality settings to see how fast and for how long this thing can shoot.

Tommo1965
11-12-2012, 11:08pm
mines the same Arthur...about 19 frames before the crawl...I expect its the huge files the camera is trying to store...my card is a sandisk 16gb extreme rated at 60mbs

yep as Andrew said in his first post ..it ain't a D700..but I must admit im liking the files from this thing ..as for continuous bursts..i ain't never gonna do that unless I see a UFO or something

arthurking83
11-12-2012, 11:31pm
Yeah, I'm the same.
I only do large burst if I'm shooting some sports type thing(gokarts have been the latest interest)... but I just want to know what it's capable of before I find myself doing it.

camera's r count says 12 .. that is r12 on the indicators, but I can't get it to shoot more than 15 at all before the slow down . then it shoots at 1 frame per two secs, sporadically, then the occasional 2fps and then 1f/2sec again.

I just got a 800x Lexar card, which are supposed to work fast .. that is faster than the Sandisks on an 800(Rob Galbraith!) .. but I can't even get it to write fast through it's partner USB3 reader!

Read speed on the other hand is unbelievable!

I also have a Sandisk Extreme SD card too.

.. anyhow, I'm about to post a quick summary of what I have:

Wayne
11-12-2012, 11:47pm
I dont have mine at hand, but I'm almost certain you can select multiple AF point in single servo AF. I said almost ;)
It will feel foreign if you had a grip on the D700, because the D800 is a smaller body, and then sans grip it's tiny compared to the D700, which was bigger than my D3/s with the MB-D10 attached.
I like a grip, big hands etc, but the pricing and no real benefit other than extra battery life have stopped me buying the MB-D12 for the D800....

Tommo1965
12-12-2012, 12:02am
check out DPR..it says on their review that that it will slow down at around 15 frames at full FX or 30 frames in DX mode..if you wanna shoot more its gonna have to be Jpegs

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/14

Wayne.....you can select different AF points in AFS .but only by using the multi selector, im afraid nine point/21/51 and 3d tracking are only selectable in AFC mode

I @ M
12-12-2012, 7:56am
but I can't get it to shoot more than 15 at all before the slow down .

That is a build feature, not a fault. :D

By Nikons own figures ( page 436 in the bible ) you have

lossless compressed 12 bit = 21

lossless compressed 14 bit = 17

compressed 12 bit = 25

compressed 14 bit = 20

uncompressed 12 bit = 18

uncompressed 14 bit = 16

Tommo1965
12-12-2012, 11:03pm
ok...so the auto ISO feature that recognizes the FL used is a fantastic feature and the 3d tracking works great too, after a bumpy start with the new way of adjusting the AF {AFC or AFS} im liking the new way ...im really enjoying getting to grips with this camera ...ive ordered two extra Nikon batteries from DWI for $114 the pair..also just bought a black glass ND filter {Hoya HMC 400}...this camera makes me wanna break out the old 17-35 and go shoot some surf in slow mo