PDA

View Full Version : Extension Rings for D600

Cage
25-11-2012, 11:15am
I've just acquired a rather nice Sigma 150/2.8 Macro with a MFD of 38cm. At times I'd like to get a little closer, so was looking at some extension rings.

What genuine Nikon rings will and won't work with my D600. I've googled this query and must admit I got confused with the varying answers I found.

I'd like to stick with Nikon branded rings after having a moment with some Chinese knock-offs refusing to dismount from my Pentax K20.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Full manual operation is not a problem

I @ M
25-11-2012, 11:26am
Kenko auto extension tubes, well regarded, and full electrical conversation with the Nikon body.

Cage
25-11-2012, 12:46pm
Thanks Andrew.

Even though I do most of my macro in manual mode, it would be nice to have the EXIF data that the auto tubes provide.

Cheers

Kevin

old dog
25-11-2012, 2:44pm
I have the Kenko ext tubes Kevin.....allow auto and all. Your most welcome to try them out....

Cage
25-11-2012, 5:04pm
Thanks Graeme.

I'm waiting on a 'L' bracket from the States for my camera as the generic plate I'm using allows the camera to twist.

Hopefully it will arrive next week and then I'm really keen to get over to the Botanic Gardens at Hetherbrae if your interested. I might give Was a yell and see if we can't get a group day happening.

Cheers

Kevin

old dog
25-11-2012, 9:23pm
I`m in on that Kevin.....let us know when and hopefully I can join in.

arthurking83
26-11-2012, 8:26pm
Hi Kevin,

Andrew's answer is most likely going to be the correct one!!
(How so? :confused013).

If your Sigma 150 Macro is the same one as the versions I'm thinking of .... that is, one of the current models, either with or without OS .. they don't have aperture control rings(to control aperture!)

If this is so, then Kenko is about your only option!

If you want Nikon extension tubes, then you will need to add a relay aperture prong into the tube to get them to work properly(plus a CPU contact block relay system .. I think)

Nikon 'G' lenses(including thirdparty lenses), don't have aperture control rings.
This means that the lens will be stopped down fully, unless it has mechanical (and electrical :confused:) contact to the camera body.

ie. there is no way to operate the diaphragm at all and the lens is going to be stuck at minimum aperture only.

Kenko!!! apparently they work brilliantly.

However! .. there is one(that I know of) extension tube with the Nikon name on it and that is the E2 of old.
I don't think Nikon make extension tubes any more anyhow, but an E2 can help, but only in a limited manner.
It has this plunger device that allows the operator to manually set the lens aperture, but it's not actually meant for that purpose.
The purpose of this plunger on the E2 is to allow the operator to open the aperture, fully for a moment or two, to assist in focusing.

That was info for the sake of info rather than another option for extension tubes .... have I mentioned the Kenko brand of tubes? :p

Cage
26-11-2012, 8:42pm
Correct Artie, No 'A' setting or OS. It's a 'G' type lens, pre OS.

It seems to be a 'no brainer' to go the Kenko route. Plus as I said above, it will be nice to have full EXIF data when reviewing shots.

It's on my wish list.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin

flashc
03-12-2012, 4:15am
Hi...

I have the Kenko auto set for my Canon and am about to buy another set for my Nikon...

Genuine Canon was much dearer and I couldn't see that the Canon brand manufacturing quality could be worth the extra cost.

I have heard several complaints about the other brands, auto and manual, to suit Nikon and Canon, because they refuse to unlock from the camera body after attachment or they are badly machined...

znelbok
03-12-2012, 1:25pm
I have Kenko rings and a D600

Have not used them together yet, but they worked flawlessly on the D80 and my G lens for that so I do not have any doubts about their ability on the D600.

They are good for showing up how much dust is on the lens (can focus inside the lens)

Mick