PDA

View Full Version : Insurance choices.

fotog
22-11-2012, 5:46pm
I have a question about the best kind of insurance for valuable photographic kit. In one small easy to swipe backpack I could easily have over $4k worth of camera gear. Having had My last outfit stolen and realizing I was under insured, I am wondering what coverage members have found to be the best, for home and overseas travel included.

Papou
22-11-2012, 6:11pm
Do as i did and visit your Insurance Company and ask how the policy works??. I had to give them a written list of cameras , Lenses, with seriel No.'s and receipt of cost..Totalled the amound and they gave me a quote which was seperate to the House contents along with excess adn also covered for accidental damage and theft away from home..
think each Insurer will have a slughtly different way of goingabout it but suss it out just the same..
Cheers

fotog
22-11-2012, 6:58pm
Thanks Papou, are you covered for an agreed value or replacement?

ricktas
22-11-2012, 7:53pm
Also consider how you use your equipment. If it is as a hobby then you can probably add it to your house and contents, if you use it for business related (a few weddings a year even), then talk to your insurance company about being covered as a business.

Papou
23-11-2012, 11:01am
Thanks Papou, are you covered for an agreed value or replacement?

Yes i am, Insured everything according to what ipayed for it..

fotog
23-11-2012, 1:53pm
I'm not sure if that is a good thing. To replace your outfit after loss could mean paying more than you did originally.

junqbox
23-11-2012, 4:53pm
Having 'lost' a bag with with $7K worth of gear in one 'swipe', I now have all my DSLR related gear insured with WSC Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd in Sydney. Covered for loss, theft, damge, etc all over the world. About $2-300py.

fotog
23-11-2012, 7:47pm
Sorry to hear about your loss Junqbox, that must have hurt. That is the kind of coverage I am after, might go and see my local broker. Thanks.