PDA

View Full Version : Posed as 'tog to lure girls

Kym
18-11-2012, 10:13pm
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/nsw-photographer-accused-of-sex-assaults/story-e6frfku9-1226519141898

A MAN who posed as photographer has been arrested in Newcastle for allegedly sexually assaulting two teenagers.

Detectives arrested the 21-year-old man on Sunday after investigations into separate assaults against two girls, aged 13 and 14.

He was charged with three counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count each of aggravated indecent assault and intimidation.

Police will allege the girls were contacted via social media by a man claiming to be a photographer looking for models.

It is alleged the man requested naked photos of the girls and arranged to meet them for a photo shoot. One girl was allegedly sexually assaulted at Maitland and the other at Charlestown.

The man was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court on Monday.

This cannot be good on any level. I hope they lock him up for a long time

ricktas
18-11-2012, 10:19pm
Agree. It will not do photographers any favours and only extend the distrust that some already have.

Ezookiel
18-11-2012, 10:49pm
He requested naked photos, but at least one still then met with him? I assume he also obviously arranged to meet them without parents or others present, so how on earth did the girls not smell a rat?
I don't think there's anything more despicable than someone that exploits and takes advantage of the naivety, lack of judgement, and innocence kids of that age have. I hope they throw the book at him (after putting the book into a bag full of bricks perhaps?).

arthurking83
18-11-2012, 10:55pm
I don't think there's anything more despicable than someone that exploits and takes advantage of the naivety, lack of judgement, and innocence kids of that age have. I hope they throw the book at him (after putting the book into a bag full of bricks perhaps?).

Ditto!
Not just the book .. but the whole damned book case, wall and while they're at it, the entire library too!

..... And what is it with kids and their inability to learn from others mistakes!

It's not as tho this is the first incidence of internet predation on the young(esp females!!) .. and yet they're still out there unwilling to believe that this can happen to them.

fess67
18-11-2012, 11:03pm
Agreed not good. The only positive is they chose to say 'photographer' indicating that it was a ruse and he was not actually a 'photog'. That said, I agree, the public are conditioned to believe that people (men) with cameras are suspect. I know I have walked away from many beaches once I see kids. I am doing nothing wrong but there is a suspicion within society and articles like this do nothing to help.

Note, I did say (men).....it is a simple (unfair) fact of life that a guy with a camera cannot do what a woman can when it comes to kids and being in public. Sad but that is how it is.

Warbler
19-11-2012, 6:36am
Note, I did say (men).....it is a simple (unfair) fact of life that a guy with a camera cannot do what a woman can when it comes to kids and being in public. Sad but that is how it is.

Was photographing young children, mostly girls, recently when a woman came up to me and said, "Can pedophiles order photos off your website?" "Depends on how many of your relatives you give the password to", was my response. Didn't see her again, and was happy not to. My photos were no more than "stand-up in front of a backdrop in costume" shots. How do you respond to the paranoia and prejudices of young mothers these days?

What I should have said was, "How many would you like?"

Analog6
19-11-2012, 6:40am
This type of ruse was around long before the Internet, but social media makes it much easier for these slimebags to prey.

I don't know what the answer is for genuine photographers shooting in public, it is easier for women, although they can just as easily be perving. Varrying business cards may help a bit but the public paranoia is huge, fostered by the 'stranger danger' campaigns (much over-rated) and media.

ameerat42
19-11-2012, 9:26am
I hereby to register my general accordance with the disparagement heretofore recorded.

But this:

...How do you respond to the paranoia and prejudices of young mothers these days?...
instanced by Warbler, is equally deserving of opprobiium!!! (See here if uncertain.) (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/opprobrium)
(Am???)

Warbler
19-11-2012, 9:32am
Haha! Merely stating a fact. I only ever get this from young mothers, and they only ever do it to male photographers. Blaming the victim of discrimination much? This is what's wrong with our PC world. And I don't mean the magazine about computers.

mongo
19-11-2012, 10:00am
this is bad news in every possible way bar one - it shows there are still bad people out there ready to take disturbing advantage; two young people have been seriously affected; the public paranoia has been heightened (perhaps for understandable reasons); the genuine photographers will now have to bear the brunt of the irrational portion of that heightened paranoia. The only good bit is that they have taken one of the bad guys off the streets. Wait for the fallout !

Ezookiel
19-11-2012, 11:06am
It's not just when taking photos where kids are, it is everyday life where kids are, that men have to be mindful of what they do and how they act, or get suspicious looks from people assuming the worst. I was in the food court of our local shopping mall recently, when a young girl got bored while Mum chatted to a friend, and started entertaining herself by doing some kind of dance to a song in her head, and as she twirled away in the most delightful way, I just SOOO wanted to watch as it was absolutely enthralling and captivating. The total lack of inhibition as she danced away oblivious to all around her was just delightful, but apart from a quick little glance, I felt I had to avert my eyes and look elsewhere, because a male watching a young girl closely in a public place would most likely be seen by others as perverted. It physically hurt to feel that I had to miss seeing such joyous expression of life, just to avoid being falsely accused - even if only in people's minds - of some kind of evil. It kind of makes me hate the world we are creating around ourselves at times. I would just about guarantee that no-one would have raised a single eyebrow had a woman sat there watching the girl dance. It's not something we're going to be able to change though. Not that I can foresee at any rate.

ameerat42
19-11-2012, 11:57am
It's not just...I felt I had to avert my eyes...would most likely be seen...as perverted...

Styoopifying, isn't it!? Yet we are asked to accept Geordie Shore (and unmentionable others of it's ilk).
Asked? Did I say "asked"? I meant we have it thrown in our faces. Boy! I can't switch the channels fast enough when...
Ummm!

Warbler
19-11-2012, 1:19pm
Sorry AM. I thought I was getting the same treatment as one male who complained to the EO Comissioner when Quentin Bryce was in the chair. It was widely reported at the time that QB made a notation on the complaint file that said "another frivolous complaint by a male".

No doubt the actions of this scumbag mentioned in the paper will just make it harder for all of us blokes with cameras.

ving
19-11-2012, 1:34pm
another dimwit giving togs a bad name... sheesh!

ameerat42
19-11-2012, 2:06pm
Sorry AM. I thought I was getting the same treatment as one male who complained to the EO Comissioner when Quentin Bryce was in the chair. It was widely reported at the time that QB made a notation on the complaint file that said "another frivolous complaint by a male".

No doubt the actions of this scumbag mentioned in the paper will just make it harder for all of us blokes with cameras.

No worries Warbler. Just to make it clear (to anybody who may have misunderstood) in my post above it was the comment to you from the YM that I was jumping up and down about.
Am.

Allie
19-11-2012, 3:35pm
Maybe if the mother of the two young girls had displayed a bit more active paranoia the teenagers would have been more aware and not got into that exploitative situation in the first place. I also regret that predators like these mean that bona fide photographers, and men in general will come under more scrutiny (I agree it is not fair) but surely the safety of children and other naive persons is at least as important as the perception and rights of the person holding a camera.

WhoDo
19-11-2012, 6:05pm

Yep, but add an order of magnitude for guys like me who enjoy their hobby in the same geographic area ... I might just as well restrict myself to macro for a while, not that I've ever had a hankering to photograph 13 and 14 year old kids as "models". I even get dirty looks photographing my granddaughter and I expect it's going to get worse rather than better in consequence of this episode. :angry0:

knumbnutz
19-11-2012, 9:36pm
Hey guys,
This pretty normal for me. I take the blame, I used to shoot rifles and pistols but was told I was part of this evil mindset and that no sport really needed guns even though I just like going to the range and shooting targets as a challenge.
I also like motorbikes but then people say i must be a drug dealing outlaw bikie, even though I just like to go for a ride and enjoy some outdoor freedom.
Now people can see that even though "you" play fair and enjoy something legitimately, someone else's stupid or illegal actions can potentially ruin your enjoyment and participation of a genuine pastime.
We get tarred with the same brush and no matter how much you dislike it, it cannot be changed - ever.
Guilty by association.
This is how our society works, dumb it down to the lowest common denominator and take common sense out of the equation.

Cheers
Neil

ameerat42
20-11-2012, 10:19am
We need an "I'm with you" button, Neil.
In the past there were books written about our present:eek:

Ezookiel
20-11-2012, 9:00pm
All these daily driveby shootings of houses are a figment of our imagination - it can't be happening because John Howard took all the dangerous guns away remember. So there's no such thing as a criminal with a gun. The news reports are lying. Oh sorry, did my sarcasm show through?

I also used to be a shooter. Was a bit of fun when out at the wife's Uncle's farm, and also loved the challenge out at the range occasionally when I didn't have much else to do. Just like a golfer wants to get that ball in that hole, I wanted to get that bullet into that bullseye. Nothing nefarious, or evil, and as a SSAA member, wouldn't even point a gun at someone, let alone fire it at them. But it was easier for the government to pick on the licenced gun owners than to actually try to do something about illegal firearms in criminal hands. Even sadder was that the rifle I owned cost me $500 and I got given $90 for it. And then my wife and I both got charged $45 in the buy-back levy. Gotta love that maths. But I can definitely relate to the sentiments Neil has expressed above.

At our daughter's school swimming carnival, it was at a public pool, and the pool was still being used by others at the time, and we were all told before hand that if we took photos, we were to do our very best to only get our own children in the shot, and if we had anyone else in the photo, we were supposed to ask them for permission. Because the announcement was made over the PA, it then meant everyone taking photos felt like all eyes were on them. At least they didn't blanket ban taking photos. I'm pretty sure that's been the case for other schools.

enVision
21-11-2012, 11:50am
Doesn't matter what we choose to do, there will always be someone with strong opposing views. Whether it's a hobby, job, what car you drive, your favourite beer, someone will be against it.

I think all we can do is be aware of it and accept that it will happen. No point worrying about it or feeling like you're being silently accused, because it's never, ever going to change, and people like this grub will keep the paranoia of the public around. Playing devils advocate, at the end of the day, if I had a child and felt that someone was using them in any way I didn't like, as a parent, I would have a right to know about it.

As photographers, I just think there is a lot we need to be aware of as our chosen job/hobby does have more negative publicity than others, but it's nothing for us to be paranoid, worried or stressed about.

knumbnutz
21-11-2012, 3:57pm
I wholly understand what you are saying.
The problem will be in couple of years time when a bunch of hippys & lawyers get together and start a movement of BS against all camera shooters in public.
The government will then force you to be licensed to shoot in public and all models will need to be registered and logged in on a gov website. There will be annual fees that will need to applied to compensate for the amount of red tape to manage this as well as inspectors to control and check it.
In the end, this has happened to almost every industry and to think it won't happen to us is fanciful to say the least.
At the moment there is no governing body, there are just industry associations. If Togs think its hard to cope now, wait till they become part of big brother regulations where paperwork, industry approved training and fees will become mandatory. There will be no place for those with talent, just people that have done a course.

This might in fact to some degree help the industry through protectionism but it will terribly stifle creativeness and it can only work if everyone heeds by it and that certainly wont be the case with anything illegal, overseas and every other man on the street.
.....and then there is the taxes and fees that wont actually go in to improving the industry even though thats what they will say.

Remember the "One off Medicare Levy" that was introduced in 1996 to offset the cost of the gun buyback, this is the same "One off levy" that you still pay every year at tax time, it has increased over time and not one cent has even helped reduced Medical costs or waiting times or hospital fees. In Victoria the Police have said that all motorcyclists should wear safety vests and have front numberplates airbags fitted and if you dont like it, dont ride. They dont mention safety courses or addition training for riders or drivers....

Sorry for the ramble but I dont want to see another past time get buggered up by stupid on a mission people. If the gov put paedos, wackos and crims away properly instead of releasing them constantly, we wouldnt have half the problems we do today.

Doesn't matter what we choose to do, there will always be someone with strong opposing views. Whether it's a hobby, job, what car you drive, your favourite beer, someone will be against it.

I think all we can do is be aware of it and accept that it will happen. No point worrying about it or feeling like you're being silently accused, because it's never, ever going to change, and people like this grub will keep the paranoia of the public around. Playing devils advocate, at the end of the day, if I had a child and felt that someone was using them in any way I didn't like, as a parent, I would have a right to know about it.

As photographers, I just think there is a lot we need to be aware of as our chosen job/hobby does have more negative publicity than others, but it's nothing for us to be paranoid, worried or stressed about.

Mark L
21-11-2012, 9:40pm
The problem will be in couple of years time when a bunch of hippys & lawyers get together and start a movement of BS against all camera shooters in public.
The government will then force you to be licensed to shoot in public and all models will need to be registered and logged in on a gov website. There will be annual fees that will need to applied to compensate for the amount of red tape to manage this as well as inspectors to control and check it. .......

So will I need a license for my iPhone? It takes reasonable photos. :)

Alexam
26-11-2012, 8:04pm
Since I do a lot of studio photography, I am always looking for new models, but will not use a model that is under 18 years of age without either Parent or Guardian written approval. It's also best to have a Parent or Guardian present if possible, but with all young models, I pass on a notice called 'Stay Safe' that I obtained from one of the many model sites I use.

STAY SAFE:

I'm not one to cast doom and gloom on the idea of modelling and, in general, a photoshoot should be exciting and fun. However it's one of those things that is probably in the back of a lot of models' minds and if it's not, perhaps it should be. These are just a few things to think about before and during a shoot to make sure that you have a positive experience and come back for more.

file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpgOver the past few months there has been a tremendous number of new members signing up which is great for the site. What’s been even better is the number of models that have come here to do shoots. We take pride in helping people on those first steps of model shoots - giving guidance and offering advice to models, photographers, make up artists and stylists. This has been primarily written for those of you who are models, but we can all learn something about communication and some 'do's and 'don'ts' of a shoot.

Looking through the profiles it’s clear that many are either completely new to modelling or have only done one or two shoots, possibly one of those makeover studio shoots you often get as a birthday present. Modelling is great, over time you’ll meet some talented photographers and make some good friends, but there is a darker side that you may not be aware of. This post hopefully gives you a few tips that will help you enjoy the experience and more importantly to stay safe.

The most important thing to remember is that not everyone is who they seem to be. 99.9% of those you meet are genuine, kind and considerate people but once every so often you’ll come across someone who says all the right things in the emails but has somewhat dodgy motives. It may not happen to you, and I’m not suggesting that you live your life suspicious of every photographer that contacts you, just be thoughtful about who you give your contact details to. Use the site PM system rather than email or phone until you’re sure. If things get weird the PM mail trail can be useful.

Never under any circumstances put personal info like phone numbers or email addresses on your profile or in replies to threads. Remember that your profile and the forum can be read by anyone, even non members and you may find you start receiving disturbing calls and mails from some weirdo in Singapore. I would recommend you open up a hotmail, yahoo or similar email account that you use exclusively for modelling under a modelling name such as minxymodel@...com. That way if you get problem mail you can close it down. Never link to your facebook or myspace accounts, you might suddenly get a load of new friends that cause no end of trouble. In general keep your modelling life separate from your ‘real life’ and don't use your full name, it is surprisingly easy to get all kinds of info with just your name and the town where you live.

The point of being here is to make images and for that you need a photographer so you’re in luck because there are plenty here. Don’t feel obliged to shoot with the first person that asks though and it’s imperative that you see some of their work first. No matter how desperate you are to do a shoot there will always be other offers. You should also look for references from models they’ve worked with to get an idea of the togs personality and interests. For new photographers this is a chicken and egg situation, until you have references it can be hard to get a shoot and without a shoot you can’t get references.
We all go through it and it’s annoying at times but it’s the way it works, it took me ages. Just because a photographer doesn’t have references doesn’t mean they’re in any way strange and the chances are you’ll get some great images but just go careful. Ideally do a pre-meet in a cafe or somewhere public to see what you think of them before you commit to a shoot. I do it with models all the time and sometimes you just know that you need to say thanks and then walk away quite quickly!

Once you get a shoot, let friends know who it’s with (their proper name and not a screen name) and where it is. This is quite normal and if the photographer is reluctant to provide this, well make your own conclusions. Agree in advance what you’re going to shoot and don’t be talked into higher levels during the shoot. The easy way to keep within the agreed levels is just to say we haven’t discussed it but we could do that on the next shoot. It’s up to you to decide if you actually want to do another shoot.

The last thing is about who owns the images. In the UK the law states that the copyright is owned by the creator which is the photographer. Any images taken are therefore the property of the photographer who can do almost anything he wants with them as long as they do not misrepresent you. What this means is that if you decided to do a nude session the pictures could be sold to a magazine and you may find you’re in the next edition of ‘Smut monger’ or on a dodgy internet porn site. Once the image is taken there is the potential for anyone and everyone to see it. This includes your parents, your friends, that creepy bloke that works in the store room or that complete cow that works on telesales that is always trying to upset you. Would you be happy to go into work on Monday to find someone has printed off 100 copies and put them all around your office or handed them out to everyone at uni? Nothing wrong with nude or higher, just as long as you recognise that you have no control over the images. If they appear somewhere you’re not happy with unfortunately it’s tough luck.

Anyway, enough scaremongering. You’ll have a great time, but just be a little thoughtful and you’ll be far less likely to come across the very small minority of photographers that give the rest of us a bad name
STAY SAFE

Perhaps other photographers may find this helpful.

Malcolm