PDA

View Full Version : information needed on photographing military planes

disco2td5
15-11-2012, 10:28pm
I just wondering what the legality of photographing military planes coming in for landing. I live 5 mins from richmond raaf base and have spoted a realy good spot to take photos of the planes landind. It at the windsor end just out side the fence near the runway. Any advice would be helpful.

JM Tran
15-11-2012, 10:55pm
Technically its fine, you are not aiming the camera inside towards the government installations or on government or military grounds.

However with all RAAF bases sometimes an ADG patrol will come pass on motorbikes or quads (Air Defence Guards), if they tell u to move along then do so, if they leave you alone then its fine.

geoffsta
16-11-2012, 5:36am
No harm in going up to the gate and asking a few questions. Fully explain your intensions, and why you want to take them. Beats appearing as if you are sneeking around.
They may be able to give you a set of terms and conditions that you must abide by. Just a thought..:umm:

bushbikie
16-11-2012, 8:15am
^ +1 - I'd also be prepared to show some photo ID if they request it.

disco2td5
16-11-2012, 4:14pm
Thanks for the advice I might go give it a go on my next days off if there flying and the weather gets better.

nardes
16-11-2012, 5:38pm
The personnel at the gatehouse may not be military – they could be civilian contractors and maybe not aware of what is legally acceptable. It might just be too easy for them to say “NO” which then puts you in a difficult position.

I’d just approach them and rather than ask, I would politely inform them that I am a keen amateur aeroplane photographer and that I will be taking some photos in the vicinity and out of courtesy, you are just letting them know so they will be aware of your presence in the area between whatever times on whatever date it is.

I would also have ID on me, such as Drivers Licence just in case.

Cheers

Dennis

Sifor
16-11-2012, 6:16pm
Eh, this isn't America, I doubt you'll be pulled up. Just don't sit in a tree and take photos, be obvious about it. But if a rent a cop tells you to move on, do so to avoid hassle (even if you're legally able to take photos from your position).

Kym
16-11-2012, 6:23pm
Buy an AP shirt and hat... Wear them when taking pics... then you can at least tell them your a genuine amateur 'tog!!

PhotoPaul
16-11-2012, 7:28pm
Don't ask at the gate, ask at the pass office. You're far more likely to get a proper answer there as they're there for questions like that.

I grew up around Richmond RAAF base (still live in Richmond) and I know stacks of people that have photographed planes along the Windsor St stretch and never had issues. So long as you're not climbing the fence you should be fine.

rum pig
16-11-2012, 11:00pm
From my knowledge of how they run bases up here in the NT the guards at the front gate will be a private company contracted unless the security level rises to a certain point that the defense forces feel they need to take over, These guards generally do not know any more than they need to check passes. The personal at the pass desk still will be no better as they are low ranking personal (if not private company)and will likely give you any answer and not back you up if things go south.
I have photographed many planes at the airport here even the international planes that come for war games and where we park is not secret and very visible and sometimes there can be a dozen people there taking photos and I have never seen or heard of anyone being approached, I have never read warning in the paper or any indication that it is not allowed.
Having said that I have never tried to publish them, As it has been mentioned already I would be prepared to stop if ask by someone from defense or police.
If you really want to be sure ring the base and ask for the base commander and ask him as he will be calling all the shots.

Good luck

disco2td5
17-11-2012, 12:23am
Thanks every one for the advice. I grew up around RAAF bases in Wagga Wagga, Adelaide, and Richmond but dad has been out of the RAAF for so long now he wasn't even shore on the regs now.

J.davis
18-11-2012, 11:02pm
There used to be a 'pull off' on the Richmond/Windsor rd that looked over the base and you could take pics from there.
Also you could try the rd next to the golf course in Windsor as it sits under the flight path.
I worked there many moons ago and took pics from the roadway.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ll=-33.606167,150.780254&spn=0.002019,0.004128&t=h&z=19

AmPhot
19-11-2012, 4:53pm
Be very careful. Technically, if you photograph ANY military equipment (regardless of where it is), you are breaching the Defence Act (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/da190356/s82.html). Guards in front of bases these days are never ADF but civilian security contractors. I am aware of people being cautioned about taking photos of RAAF aircraft landing at bases, it depends on the security level of the base and if RAAF police are patrolling. Generally as long as you're not standing there for hours with a mega long lens intently shooting every landing and take off you'll probably be fine. Just be aware that under the Defence Act theoretically you can't photograph anything, regardless of where you're standing. It's just that it's not often strictly enforced because this isn't the US and security has other things to worry about.

Epoc
20-11-2012, 12:23pm
Be very careful. Technically, if you photograph ANY military equipment (regardless of where it is), you are breaching the Defence Act (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/da190356/s82.html). Guards in front of bases these days are never ADF but civilian security contractors. I am aware of people being cautioned about taking photos of RAAF aircraft landing at bases, it depends on the security level of the base and if RAAF police are patrolling. Generally as long as you're not standing there for hours with a mega long lens intently shooting every landing and take off you'll probably be fine. Just be aware that under the Defence Act theoretically you can't photograph anything, regardless of where you're standing. It's just that it's not often strictly enforced because this isn't the US and security has other things to worry about.

What about air shows conducted by the RAAF?? There are thousands of people taking thousands of photos and LOTS are up close and personal to the equipment!! :confused013

AmPhot
20-11-2012, 12:30pm
What about air shows conducted by the RAAF?? There are thousands of people taking thousands of photos and LOTS are up close and personal to the equipment!! :confused013

Yep I know. I guess the local base commander turns a blind eye for the day, and the ADF probably figures that the publicity from the day outweighs any risk. Go figure, but that's the reality of it.

Mark L
20-11-2012, 9:11pm
Personally, I would just take the photos. If approached, deal with it then.
"Oh, sorry, I didn't realise!" :confused013

disco2td5
22-11-2012, 3:40pm
Thanks all when the weather get better and i get over this dam chest cold i will go take some photos and see if they say anything.