PDA

View Full Version : Cost per Image or ... how I can justify my Photography spend :)

Kym
10-11-2012, 10:37am
We all know about and suffer LBA (lens buying addiction) and GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).

These conditions are incurable, so we need a way to justify our spend with Family and Friends (aka photographic subjects).

Here is how you do it!

What was your spend on photography in the last 5 years less any income received (lets say ~$12,000 and call that S)
How many images have you kept in the last 5 years (not just taken) and are on your disk drives now (53,472 and call that C)

CPI (cost per image) = S / C = ~$0.22 per image !!

So the more pictures you take (and keep) the lower CPI becomes!!

:Doh: :efelant: :lol:

Tommo1965
10-11-2012, 10:54am
you're on a rocky road if you try and justify camera gear acquisition financially ..... I prefer to go with..." you only live once"..and a all time favorite " you work hard have what you want while you can "

ameerat42
12-11-2012, 9:29pm
Kym, does your CPI trend with the CPI?

I see the potential for a nightly news item...
"...And the Australian cost-per-image index has taken a dive due to the lack of movement on the overseas camera markets..."

Er, well, they always start with "and".
:rolleyes:m.

Kym
13-11-2012, 8:44pm
It's your personal CPI... If you buy hear make sure you takes lots of pics so the CPI will go down - easy!

fabian628
15-11-2012, 8:02pm
A few lenses (mpe 65mm macro lens comes to mind) have produced priceless images for me, after an amazing shot you feel it is well justified. A few other lenses probably not so even though they are more expensive.

Shooting a bit of film these days, roll of film $5-6, 10 shots, $10 development is $1.50 per image each one you do so gotta make sure it comes out nice :D