PDA

View Full Version : Total weight of your camera kit?!

mikec
09-11-2012, 6:14pm
So here's a fun one for you all to do over the weekend. I'm leaving for a trip the end of next week and was just looking at how much stuff I'm carrying and what it weighed.

Now I haven't included bags and filters but my total camera gear weight that I'm taking is 7.8kg, ouch!

Makes me want to rush out and by a high end mirror-less system....

I'm know for sure some others will have more hefty loads than me though!

Xenedis
09-11-2012, 6:18pm
During a recent trip abroad, my camera backpack alone weighed 9kg.

That didn't include my tripod, head unit and monopod.

There was plenty of gear (including four lenses) which didn't go.

shelly1170
09-11-2012, 6:47pm
Very interesting and something I've been thinking about lately. I don't have access to scales so can't comment on weight, not that I have that much!

Thanks to joint hyper mobility, I have weak hands and wrists that make holding large, heavy cameras and lenses difficult. So weight of kit, camera body/lens along with body size (so I can hold it comfortably) are important considerations for me. *sigh* I'll probably never have a 1D!

JM Tran
09-11-2012, 6:52pm
Camera kit - 15kg

Lighting kit - 40kg

Wayne
09-11-2012, 8:25pm
My last trip to the USA saw me with almost 20kg of bodies, glass, tripod + head, batteries and chargers.

If I travel with lighting, it's about the same as JT, 40 odd kg on top of the camera gear.

Bennymiata
09-11-2012, 9:59pm
My roller bag weighs around 30kg when loaded, not including tripod or light stands, but does include a couple of flashes.

Thank goodness for wheels.

I also have another bag that carries my video equipment when required, and that bag slips over the pull-out handle of the trolley bag so it's easy to cart around.

OzzieTraveller
10-11-2012, 10:28pm
G'day Mike

My missus has just returned from a 16-day Africa safari where everyone had a 15kg luggage limit from the small /16 seater aircraft used
She took the Lumix with its 24x zoom - and her 600mm shots of the wildlife are great

Regards, Phil

ameerat42
12-11-2012, 10:18pm
Not as much as some, but weigh too much for my liking, sometimes.
Am.