PDA

View Full Version : need advice on flash photography portrait orientation for a function

rum pig
08-11-2012, 1:50pm
I may have to take photo's for a local school graduation due to lack of interest from local photographers.
One problem I have is how do you take a portrait photo with a flash mounted on the camera?
Will it effect the look if the flash comes from the side?
do you need s special bracket?
Can I hold it one hand triggered wireless?
Anything else I should know?

OH info that may help you is it will be at night and indoors but there will be dancing so I'm guessing the lights will be turned down for this part.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Warbler
08-11-2012, 2:13pm
Off camera would be best. Second best would be to bounce the flash off something. Thrown in at the deep end huh? You better read up on the use of the different flash modes for your Canon gear. When using direct5ional flash, you'll need to take into account where (and on whom) the shadows will fall.

Cheers,
Tim

OzzieTraveller
08-11-2012, 6:53pm
G'day RP

In years past I have done a number of year-12 end-of-year grad nights
Most important thing right now - is how many days between now & the event??

Do you have time to get a flash or two? + whatever other kit you'll need?
Are there any other 'togs close by who can become involved ... two heads better than one sort of thing

ps- I will PM you separately
Regards, Phil

Bennymiata
09-11-2012, 9:42pm
I do a few events, mainly at night, and find that titling the flah head up at around 45degrees and bouncing it off the ceiling works well.
It also has the advantage that you're not flashing in people's eyes (which most people hate) and it reduces red-eye quite significantly.

These were all done bouncing the flash off the ceiling, and were all done at night, in a dark club.
Use about 800 ISO and an aperture of around F5.6, +1 on the flash compensation and you should be right.