PDA

View Full Version : UWA and CPL

Mark L
03-11-2012, 9:45pm
Lucky me has been gifted $1000 to spend on equipment.:)
Current (less than great) two lens cover 28 to 300mm. Both have same filter size, so will be buying a CPF for them.
Am currently choosing between the Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22. I will buy one of these. They all need a different size filter to what I have.
So do I need to buy another CPF? Do people find a CPF on an UWA lens useful, or not?:confused013
Cheers.

mikec
03-11-2012, 10:29pm
So I might be a touch confused but do you already have a CPL for your current lenses?

If not buy the biggest CPL you need and by some stepping rings for the smaller lenses.

I do have a CPL for my 16-35 and it's useful to have so get one if you use them regularly on your other lenses.

Mark L
03-11-2012, 10:39pm
If not buy the biggest CPL you need and by some stepping rings for the smaller lenses.

Now, why didn't I think of that? Guess that why we ask questions. Thanks.

arthurking83
06-11-2012, 8:58pm
I use a CPL on the Siggy 10-20 all the time!

Makes sense to get the size best fitted to the largest filter size you need and use stepup rings for the smaller filter sized lenses.

Only problem with that is for those times when packing away temporarily and moving to another spot down the road.
If the filter is (eg) 77mm and the lens only takes a 67mm filter size, then obviously the lens cap won't fit onto the 77mm filter, and neither will the lens hood fit over the oversized filter.
note that lens hoods can be important for aberration free, or better image contrast in your images in some instances.

Dylan & Marianne
06-11-2012, 9:07pm
Immensely useful to have a CPL on the UWA :) Just take care when you have plain sky days would be my main caveat!