PDA

View Full Version : Overheating body

cupic
01-11-2012, 7:29pm
I was out yesterday and I was experimenting in using my B&W ND110 10 stopper (120sec exposure)with occasional live view and some 5 stop bracketing
when all of a sudden the LCD screen at back of my D300 had a strange cracked appearance.Powered down did nothing as the camera appeared
to be still on as before with that strange display at back.When I got back home after 30mins the camera and body was very very hot.
Anyway after a long spell cooling down it has appeared that everything is as should be.

Has this type of incident happened to anyone else?

cheers

Starman
01-11-2012, 9:15pm
Hi cupic,

I have heard of it happening but not sure where sorry.

It sounds like the processor / electronics overheated and with no fan as in PCs laptops etc there is little heat dispersion.

Check your manual or other forums, I know Canon manuals have a notice about live view, long exposures etc.

Cheers
Starman

aussie girl
01-11-2012, 10:09pm
I think I heard or read somewhere that if you have live view on for too long the sensor heats up ( may have read it in my manual that came with my camera) It is not recommended to use live view for extended periods.

Burnouts
01-11-2012, 10:15pm
I think I heard or read somewhere that if you have live view on for too long the sensor heats up ( may have read it in my manual that came with my camera) It is not recommended to use live view for extended periods.

I have used my D7000 in live view before for long periods of time without any real issues, spent 3 days in heat 30c+ for 5 hours per day.

cupic
01-11-2012, 11:28pm
The live view was only used for focusing and not much but it was a hot one so I
will put this down as a reminder to watch/feel the heat

cheers

arthurking83
02-11-2012, 7:21am
I've used Lv mode for hours on a couple of occasions myself, and have never had overheating issues.
My use of Lv mode was with tethered shooting, and the test was for both battery life and sensor heating up ... I reckon at least an hour's worth of mucking about and playing.

Even the battery had plenty of juice remaining after over an hour of almost constant Lv usage and the occasional short exposures.

ricktas
02-11-2012, 9:04am
extremes of both hot and cold can affect camera performance. If it was hot day and the camera was in the sun, and then along with internal heat, it may have just become to much. Once the camera returns to operating temperatures then it should work fine. Many electronics not just cameras can suffer from this