PDA

View Full Version : Why do most of the forums say "Private"

mal from cessnock
23-10-2012, 6:09pm
Hi board members

I tried viewing some posted images but they all are marketed "Private".

Is the reason for this that I have not visited for a while or is it a new feature of the new looking forum?

ricktas
23-10-2012, 6:32pm
Cause you have not posted on the site since April: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=How_Do_I:Restore_my_access_from_inactive_status

Kym
23-10-2012, 7:58pm
:gday: & Welcome Back

Warren Ackary
24-10-2012, 8:12am
:gday: Mal from Cessnock :)

sydneykings
25-10-2012, 9:45am
Think I'm stuck in the same boat! Time for a post! :) :th3:

ricktas
25-10-2012, 10:16am
Think I'm stuck in the same boat! Time for a post! :) :th3:

perhaps joining in and actually sharing some photography might help?

mal from cessnock
25-10-2012, 11:58am
@ Sydneykings - Peculiar if you ask me - as a member of many many forums this is the only one Rick that penalises you for not posting for a while.

The best thing however, is that it doesn't take much to be reinstated to full privileges.

ricktas
25-10-2012, 12:21pm
@ Sydneykings - Peculiar if you ask me - as a member of many many forums this is the only one Rick that penalises you for not posting for a while.

The best thing however, is that it doesn't take much to be reinstated to full privileges.

How many of those other forums give away prizes? The main reasons for the inactive status on AP are:

1. Inactive members cannot enter or vote on our competitions. Why should you be able to enter and win prizes if you are not going to be an active forum member? I prefer to give prizes to those that are giving something back to the site and other members.

2. Members who post once every few months but do not post any photos, or contribute at all themselves, other than to post to keep active. could well be here to 'borrow' members photos for various reasons. It has happened in the past. Members photos being used for online newsletters, posting to facebook etc. So we lock inactive members out of the photo forums for this reason. To protect active members photos from being used without their permission.

We make it easy to re-activate, for those who want to join in.

If any member does not like it, then, just PM me and I will close your account, if you wish. My focus is the active, participating site members.

See THIS THREAD (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?112091-Your-turn-to-come-up-with-a-competition-idea) as an example. We will shortly be giving away several prizes and inactive members will not be eligible to win them.

mal from cessnock
25-10-2012, 2:18pm
@Rick - I can assure you my friend I'm not interested in prizes and definitely don't steal members photos. I come here for inspiration and occasionally to show off an image or two and to be part of the photographic community.
No offense meant Rick. It's your forum and I appreciate the fact you have put so much work into it. I love your place.

Kym
25-10-2012, 2:27pm
@Mal -- I don't think Rick was suggesting you do take anything;
but rather the generic case where it has happened in the past.

ricktas
25-10-2012, 4:12pm
@Rick - I can assure you my friend I'm not interested in prizes and definitely don't steal members photos. I come here for inspiration and occasionally to show off an image or two and to be part of the photographic community.
No offense meant Rick. It's your forum and I appreciate the fact you have put so much work into it. I love your place.

You commented about the inactive status, referring to it as 'peculiar'. I merely replied stating why it exists. I was not having a go at you, just explaining the reasoning behind it.

mal from cessnock
26-10-2012, 1:05am
Kym and Rick - I didn't think you were having a go at me - honestly. I was just reassuring you of my integrity.

I'm sorry if I have caused a problem for you guys. You both do a fantastic job.

I'll try to be a bit more consistent with my posts in the future. I get busy doing this and that and find myself immersed in other interests and obligations for weeks at a time.

I have referred many people to this great forum over the years. I think it's the best photographic forum in this great land.

Kym
26-10-2012, 2:49pm
All good and all is well :)

geoffsta
26-10-2012, 3:36pm
I must admit that Rick's writing style could come across as a bit harsh. But when you think of how many times he has had to repeat himself over forum rules, then it is understandable. And the rules are there to protect us all, no matter how hard they appear to be.

Staying active is simple. A comment or two on other members photos, or adding an image yourself every couple of weeks. It's as simple as that.