PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D90 - splashed with a BIG surf

dbose
16-10-2012, 11:51am
Hi All

Few weeks back while at North Strady I was shooting at the george quite high (and thinking to be dry). A sudden HUGE surf met me and kissed my camera.

Well while not entirely drenched a good part of it had the salt water in it. I managed to shield it somewhat and later cleaned it as much as possible. The camera seems to be working fine but yesterday I opened the pop up flash (something I very seldom use) and it was kind of stuck - I had to lift it up. Also noticed that the power button was a bit iffy. It's a Nikon D90 with the 24-70 mounted on it at the time.

I know sending it for a service at Nikon is the best option but will be expensive. Is there any advise please?

Rattus79
16-10-2012, 12:00pm
Is there any advise please?

Dont' let your camera get wet with salt water.

(wrap that in sarcasm tags)

OzzieTraveller
16-10-2012, 9:42pm
G'day DJ

Back in film camera days the recommendation was to immediately a) remove film and b) dunk camera in bucket of fresh water till it was delivered to service personnel - and then expect a big bill for its 'recovery'

These days a la digital / electronic etc etc, any 'commercial-grade' digi-camera that's been "in" salt water is destined for the junk bin

Regards, Phil

ricktas
16-10-2012, 9:59pm
Yep, sad but true, the salt in the water will remain as a residue on all the electronic components and over time it will corrode your camera and it will be dead. Sorry!

Nikon will probably tell you that any repairs will just delay the inevitable. Do you have insurance?

dbose
17-10-2012, 10:53am
G'day DJ

Back in film camera days the recommendation was to immediately a) remove film and b) dunk camera in bucket of fresh water till it was delivered to service personnel - and then expect a big bill for its 'recovery'

These days a la digital / electronic etc etc, any 'commercial-grade' digi-camera that's been "in" salt water is destined for the junk bin

Regards, Phil

Well my camera is still going quite well - will wait until it dies :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, sad but true, the salt in the water will remain as a residue on all the electronic components and over time it will corrode your camera and it will be dead. Sorry!

Nikon will probably tell you that any repairs will just delay the inevitable. Do you have insurance?

I think the salt water did not go through the camera - it was fairly superficial. Let me see how it goes for a few months (it's working fine now). I do have insurance dso that's another option.

Rattus79
17-10-2012, 11:48am
If you have insurance, I'd claim now before it gets worse, and they decide that you took too long to claim.

Film Street
17-10-2012, 1:41pm
Hi All

A sudden HUGE surf met me and kissed my camera.
. Is there any advise please?

a) Don't pay to get it fixed.

b) Keep using it until it dies.

c) Start looking at a D600 while thinking 'gee that's nice'.

d) All of the above.