PDA

View Full Version : Example of portable studio set up

JM Tran
11-10-2012, 12:17pm
Just thought I'd share an example of one of my portable studio kits look like when set up. I do a lot of shoots for clients on location and need the versatility and still maintain the same quality as one should, just like in any studio setting.

Originally I estimated there was about 60kg of gear in this photo, but since its missing a lot of things - that figure should be around 100kg, give or take a few. Normally dont use that Bowens head anymore in the photo but I had left another Bron head at home so this served as back up with beauty dish.

*Missing in this photo are generally bigger lighting modifiers ie. softboxes and parabolic umbrella, some more strobe heads and miscellaneous equipment - as this was set up for a hair shoot - the focus was mainly around the top half of the model*

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/endless_photography/portablestudiokit.jpg

swifty
11-10-2012, 1:05pm
Hey Jackie, what's your backdrop setup?

JM Tran
11-10-2012, 1:07pm
Hey Jackie, what's your backdrop setup?

Yo Dave, atm I am using Neutral Grey and Thunder Grey paper rolls, prefer paper over muslin whenever I can, as the light roll off is a lot smoother. Its just 2 stands and the Manfrotto telescopic bar going across.

swifty
11-10-2012, 1:16pm
Paper.. So disposable? As in cut when it gets dirty?

JM Tran
11-10-2012, 1:30pm
Yeah man, its standard in the industry. A typical paper roll is 2.7m x 11m long, if you look at the photo above - the bottom bit of the paper is on the ground, that gets dirty or ripped but thats fine, as long as the background is still good, you can keep re-rolling and re-using it for months, or up to a year if you look after it well. If it gets too creased or dirty you just cut it off and roll more down. Then make a giant paper plane:)

geoffsta
11-10-2012, 2:14pm
Thanks for the display JM. I do not think that many pro's would take the time to share their experience with us mear mortals, as you do.
This is one of the good things that I like about you. The other is your images inspire me (and others) to better ourselves. :th3:

achee
16-10-2012, 12:37am
Thanks Jackie! :th3:

If any of you are just doing head or 1/2 body shots, a pop-up backdrop with a single stand and clamp would be a great alternative - lighter, less bulky. I've fit groups of around 4-5 people in front of a pop-up backdrop, although that's pushing it! That one was about 1.8x1.2m.

JM Tran
17-10-2012, 9:41pm
Thanks Jackie! :th3:

If any of you are just doing head or 1/2 body shots, a pop-up backdrop with a single stand and clamp would be a great alternative - lighter, less bulky. I've fit groups of around 4-5 people in front of a pop-up backdrop, although that's pushing it! That one was about 1.8x1.2m.

Yeah I had thought about it, but atm none of the pop up backdrops seem to provide the full length body coverage that I desire sometimes, nor do the light fall off characteristics of those material can be as good as the paper backdrops I favour. But who knows, I just need to do more experimenting with pop up backgrounds to weigh up the pros and cons:)

achee
18-10-2012, 12:38am
Yeah, they're no good for full body shots, but they are so quick and convenient, and can fit in anyone's car boot! :)