PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this spider?

Ventureoverland
03-10-2012, 8:52am
Ok, first off I know it's a terrible picture (iPhone in the dark, plus me a bit shocked!!

It was in Terrey Hills, just north or Sydney, hung onto the underside of a farm gate. I had just put the horses into the stable for the night and went to shut the gate. I don't suspect it's a nasty but would like to know for sure.

Thx
J

Sent using Forum Runner

Ventureoverland
03-10-2012, 8:57am
Ok, first off I know it's a terrible picture (iPhone in the dark, plus me a bit shocked!!

It was in Terrey Hills, just north or Sydney, hung onto the underside of a farm gate. I had just put the horses into the stable for the night and went to shut the gate. I don't suspect it's a nasty but would like to know for sure - it's not quite like anything I've seen before, very long abdomen, fat hairy legs and about the size of a big huntsman.

Thx
J

Sent using Forum Runner

Sent using Forum Runner

paulheath
03-10-2012, 9:05am
im no expert...maybe one of the prowling spider family.

teylward
03-10-2012, 10:09am
I think it looks like some type of wolf spider. Just the shape, size and leg type seem to match up from what I can see.

Mary Anne
03-10-2012, 3:29pm
Jon if it was as big as a Huntsman perhaps it is one there are a few species check them all out on this link http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/australian/huntsman/Huntsman.html

Ventureoverland
03-10-2012, 5:58pm
Jon if it was as big as a Huntsman perhaps it is one there are a few species check them all out on this link http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/australian/huntsman/Huntsman.html

Thanks Mary-Anne.
I think you've identified it. I'd now be happy to say it was some sort of huntsman. I didn't know they could grow to 160mm across though! OMG!

I guess I can now relax more knowing that its jot going to try to eat me:)

You may also have identified another spider I came across over the weekend in Coffs Harbour - that may have been a green huntsman. I'll check the camera when I get home and compare.

Thx!
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner