PDA

View Full Version : Workflow

Kerrianne
25-09-2012, 1:55pm
Hi all first time forum user...so here goes,
I am a beginner photographer. I am working with programs such as lightroom, photoshop etc. I am wanting to seek some advice on managing my files in computer so not to double up so much and keep my computer from having so much stored.
I use light room but am getting slightly confused as to understanding completely what happens to files - ON THE C DRIVE when im importing and then exporting and using LR. I guess I am doubling up on everything and dont need to. Is the best way to avoid this by - JUST USING LIGHTROOM by downloading photos straight to LR then exporting to say a hard drive to save and store. Just starting to have so many folders and need to work out a better workflow i think. Any ideas? Thanks

ricktas
25-09-2012, 2:18pm
Use Lightroom.

Import from your memory card to the location you want the files to be. Mine is setup in year, then month, then subject, and I apply keywords to the photos as I import them.

So my file setup is:

Year > month and descriptive folder name : keywords assigned to photo on import
2011 > February Wedding Sally and Dick : Sally, Dick, Wedding, Church, Reception, St Michaels, Hobart
2011 > March Sunrise seascapes smith beach : seascapes, sunrise, beach, smith beach, rocks, Tasmania
2012 > June AP member meet mt wellington : ap meet, mt wellington, sunset, pinnacle, Hobart

So each year gets a new overall folder and within each folder is the month the photos were taken and an overall descriptive folder title. Then I use the keywords to add to the files on import as I can then search for the files years later, by doing a keyword. So if Sally wants some photos from her reception printed again in 2017, I can search in Lightroom for Sally, wedding, reception, and find those photos fairly much instantly.

Welcome to AP, Hope we get to see some of your photography soon.

Kerrianne
25-09-2012, 4:13pm
Thanks Rick,
I do follow exactly that workflow, and it works perfect as its very organised and I know where everything is...Its really more that im finding im starting to have folders in several locations. I have then on c drive and LR and then save them to external hard drive. ? can they just be in LR and work with LR only???? Are you saying to just import them direct in to LR?...will this save them to my c drive anyway. I also want to find out bit more about add, move, copy options when importing? I have been through the tutorials but its not clicking with me just yet. The light bulb is yet to go on!

ricktas
25-09-2012, 6:06pm
I am thinking you do not have a full understanding of how LR works. LR is, as well as editing a Digital Assets Management (DAM) package. You can tell lightroom to import the photos into its database and leave them where they are (on the drive) or import them and make a copy elsewhere (for lightroom to access). Lightroom itself does not hold copies of your files, it just has a management tool to know where to find them on your computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDOJFuFSeKg