PDA

View Full Version : RIP : Nikon Capture NX2?

I @ M
18-09-2012, 5:52am
Is Capture NX2 as good as dead and buried now that it appears Google are going to own Nik software (http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/17/3346182/google-acquires-snapseed-nik-software) or does it just mean that NX2 users will have to log into the program with their Google + password and have any edited images immediately transported to a Google cloud and shared world wide ( royalty free ) on several billion smart phones?

Interesting and worrying times.

WhoDo
18-09-2012, 7:36pm
Saw that news today, too, Andrew. Suggestion was they ware after Snapseed to go up against Instagram BUT I sure hope they don't stuff up the rest of the Nik software stable. I share your trepidation, mate. :(

ricktas
18-09-2012, 7:38pm
I agree, the Nik Software is brilliant. Time will tell if Google ruin it.

gerry
18-09-2012, 10:04pm
How does this affect Capture NX? is this not more about the Nik software which is a filter plugin for Capture NX?

in any case, to be honest, it can't do anything worse to the Nik filters for CNX2, it is and has been for some time a pretty stagnant package. Maybe google can breath some life into it, but realistically they will probably just shelve it or sell if off.

arthurking83
18-09-2012, 11:03pm
How does this affect Capture NX? is this not more about the Nik software which is a filter plugin for Capture NX?

Nik actually did the development for the CaptureNX line of software.

Their so called U-point technology was an invention first used in CNX(the original v1 version of CaptureNX) .. and then developed as a plugin for a lot of other software.

CaptureNX is the child of Nik software obviously in partnership with Nikon, and both companies used to sell CNX via their own sites.

Then Nik at some point later developed the Color Efex line of plugins for CNX as well .. I don't know which came first ... the CNX version or the Adobe software version of the plugin

But Nik evolved their plugin sets with more and more features and plugin types(or modules) for all other software, but stopped developing the plugin for CaptureNX completely.

Now Nik no longer sells the Color Efex plugin for CaptureNX2 at all .. and my belief is that this line of software is going anywhere at all.

(unless there is already an agreement between Nikon and Google of some kind)
Hopefully this is the straw that breaks the Nikon-Nik alliance and Nikon will look to another developer to run the show for them.... and CaptureNX will continue to evolve some.

Problem is that this could work in reverse and the next level of Nikon software is worse(feature wise) than CNX2.

Maybe Nikon and Google are already holding hands in a partnership, with Nikon being the first proper camera manufacturer to use Android as the basis for a camera firmware. :confused013

I @ M
19-09-2012, 4:42am
How does this affect Capture NX?

As Arthur related about the development process between Nik and Nikon and the U Point technology that lies at the heart of CNX 2 usability I feel.

I guess it all depends on how the licensing agreement is drawn for that, if Google say to Nikon that they now own said tech and that Nikon can no longer develop or market it in their product then CNX 2 will just stagnate at the present level and version 3 will never happen.

If, on the other hand, Google simply say that they have no use for or interest in maintaining the U Point tech and allow Nikon to have free reign with it for future builds of their program there may be a chance that Nikon can get some smart software developers to build a usable successor to CNX 2.

Somehow I just don't feel like holding my breath in the hopes that the 2nd scenario above materialises. :o

I @ M
22-09-2012, 10:06am
At least some good news (https://plus.google.com/107117483540235115863/posts/RG15e22LHHE) it seems about Nik filters ----

Kym
22-09-2012, 10:31am
Today Nik tomorrow... Nikon ? :D

Andrew will end up with a G800 ! :p

arthurking83
22-09-2012, 12:29pm
but no word on Nik filters v4 for CNX tho!!