PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tripod

Wayno
15-09-2012, 5:58pm
I'm looking for a compact travel tripod.

I've been reading the forums and online, and Benro seems to produce quite a few well respected models.

I'm interested in the Benro A2692TB1 Aluminium Travel Angel tripod. It folds down to a length of 420mm and weighs a little over 2kg. There is a difference in price between the aluminium and carbon fibre models, but I think I'd prefer the extra weight of the aluminium one.

Anyone else use one of these, or can throw out another recommendations? The Gitzo tripods are out of my price range, so I'm looking for a mid-range price tag.

Cheers.
:th3:

Pandawan
25-09-2012, 1:07am
Benro is a decent model. Other mid range tripod that you can consider is SLIK (not sure if they have them here in OZ) or Manfrotto. You also need to consider what setup that you are going to use in the tripod. If you are looking at smallish DSLR with short lens, you can even consider Gorilla Tripod :)

For me the travel tripod have to be compact AND within 1-1.5kg, and with the setup that I have I end up biting the bullet and go for Gitzo. With that in mind, I ended up leaving the tripod behind nowadays :P

James Axford
25-09-2012, 7:42am
I've got 2 Gitzo tripods, one large and one small. they are excellent. you should consider the second hand market. these tripods really do not break.
P.s
I think the basalt ones are a little cheaper.

Wayno
25-09-2012, 11:29am
Cheers for the advice guys.

graemelee
03-10-2012, 6:14pm
Benro A1691-TBO on eBay is going for $190 and has quite good write ups.

Bennymiata
03-10-2012, 6:23pm
If you are going for a travel tripod, then to me, weight (or lack of it) is very important, and I would go for a C/F one.
It's not only weight, but comparably sized C/F tripods are steadier and have less shake than Al ones, so not only are they lighter to carry around, but steadier too - and isn't that what a tripod is all about?

I have a Benro C2680T and with my Acratech head, it weighs less than 2kgs, yet it will hold my 5D3 and 100-400L lens with no shake and holds it very steadily, even when it is pointed up at the moon.
I have a much heavier Al tripod, and it really struggles to hold this combo without shakes.

Wayno
04-10-2012, 6:36pm
Thanks again. Great advice.