PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy gear at low prices

leanne0333
09-09-2012, 11:46am
Hi all, am planning to invest in some new gear for my camera soon, likely tokina 11-16pro II and Nikkor 35mm f.8. I am wondering where you buy your gear from for the best prices? When I lived in the UK I would always use Amazon.com but alas they do not ship to Australia. And shops seem to charge twice as much and I am stretching my budget as it is! Any suggestions for an Australian Amazon equivalent that is reasonable and reliable?! Thank you! (Also if anyone has any views on the above lenses I would love to hear them!)

Allie
09-09-2012, 12:30pm
I've bought from eglobal using AP's sponsor page and found the prices including shipping more than reasonable and delivery very fast too! No comments on the lenses as they are not ones I use.:)

livio
09-09-2012, 12:58pm
I did the same, bought a D4 and Nikon 910 flash unit for less than the best price of the camera alone here in Australia. Using the AP sponsor eglobal I found them to be fine and fairly quick too, they kept me updated on where things were and it has all worked out well. For me where the Australian price is significantly higher than what I can buy from overseas it get hards to justify as I can buy more kit for the same dollars.

Kind Regards
Livio

Film Street
09-09-2012, 1:13pm
The Tokina 11-16 can't be beaten for a wide angle lens. It can even be used on FF cameras.
Also look at the Tokina 35mm f2.8 macro. You lose a bit of aperture speed compared to the Nikon but you gain 1:1 macro. Really nice sharp lens.

ricktas
09-09-2012, 1:31pm
You can use sites like www.shopbot.com.au to find price comparisons, but also consider your warranty etc. There is more to a price than just the cheapest you can get something for.

leanne0333
09-09-2012, 3:14pm
Thanks very much, I've found some pretty good deals for the lenses above on Eglobal. Found some pretty cheap filter sets for the tokina (Nd8/UV/CPL) on ebay. Could get a full set for $40 or the hoya version for $144 - how important is it to buy quality filters? Would I regret the cheaper set? The cheaper set also comes with ND2 and ND4 which is tempting... But buy cheap, buy twice! What do you reckon?

Film Street
09-09-2012, 5:24pm
Filters = Kenko Pro1 at a minimum