PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Firefox 15 SPEED HUMP

ameerat42
03-09-2012, 5:56pm
Ah here we go. Sick of being prompted/reminded/aw gow orn to update to FF 15, I did so yesterday.

Heck! Is it slowww!

Here (http://techdows.com/2012/08/firefox-15-slow-vs-firefox-14.html) and also here (http://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2012/07/19/firefox-15-plugs-the-add-on-leaks/), are two articles about it.

Haste is sure making waste of time when using this latest version.
Am.

I @ M
03-09-2012, 6:24pm
Tis rather strange that I am seeing nothing like the reported bugs.

FF 15 is noticeably snappier, hasn't crashed once or given any dramas whatsoever on a 32 bit windoze 7 platform. :confused013

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/ffsp.png

Kym
03-09-2012, 6:38pm
I found 15 faster than 14. I'm on 16 beta now. It maybe just how many tabs and add-ons you have loaded.
Also install the latest flash player.

Warbler
03-09-2012, 6:39pm
Like Andrew, FF15 is better for me than the last version which was painfully slow on my machine. It's getting hard to tell what the problem is these days anyway.

Cheers,
Tim

ameerat42
03-09-2012, 7:47pm
Ta to all. I will look into it. I mean, straight after the upgrade - it disabled an add-on or 2 - then slow lane.
Am.

arthurking83
03-09-2012, 10:19pm
Ta to all. I will look into it. I mean, straight after the upgrade - it disabled an add-on or 2 - then slow lane.
Am.

Yeah!

weird... I found the same deal for a short while .. slow to load slow to open pages .. just generally slow.

I did nothing other than close it down at some point as I was heading out for the arvo, and then suddenly it appears to feel snappier .. for no good reason.

I didn't disable nutt'n, and all my widgets and addons are still working.

I haven't updated flash as yet, and I haven't yet done a refresh of caches and suchlike(clearing out any flotsam and jetsom).

It just suddenly feels good again :confused013

hopefully it comes good for 'ya.

flashc
04-09-2012, 2:09am
Hi..

I've been running Firefox v15.0 for some time now and don't experience any problems on my Vista (arggh) laptops. I should be having problems. I have 50 tabs open all the time from startup to shutdown. Try that with IE and the system falls over. Recently I did upgrade the flash player and had some very odd issues. Couldn't access Photobucket uploader. Killed that flashversion and the system recovered and works fine. Stability on my platform is 100%. I haven't upgraded the flash player version since.

ameerat42
04-09-2012, 10:02am
Yeah!

weird... I found the same deal for a short while .. slow to load slow to open pages .. just generally slow.

I did nothing other than close it down at some point as I was heading out for the arvo, and then suddenly it appears to feel snappier .. for no good reason.

I didn't disable nutt'n, and all my widgets and addons are still working.

I haven't updated flash as yet, and I haven't yet done a refresh of caches and suchlike(clearing out any flotsam and jetsom).

It just suddenly feels good again :confused013

hopefully it comes good for 'ya.

This, word-4-word is exactly what I found today!!!

Generally faster everywhere, lightningly so in some places, and a bit so in others. Hmm! OK.

Am.

Warbler
04-09-2012, 11:29am
Nice to hear it's working for you now. I was considering jettisoning FF until I tried this latest incarnation. I was going to actually try IE again. They're both bloated.

flashc
04-09-2012, 12:52pm
If you have a problem like it again, open the task manager, click on the processes tab, click show processes from all users, click on the cpu column to sort the processes in cpu time usage. There may have been something here that was pulling the resources perhaps.

ameerat42
04-09-2012, 3:15pm
If you have a problem like it again, open the task manager, click on the processes tab, click show processes from all users, click on the cpu column to sort the processes in cpu time usage. There may have been something here that was pulling the resources perhaps.

Good point! Why didn't I think of that, assuming it was FF all the time?

Somewhere in the works a computer re-start seems to have had some effect. I didn't do that until it was shut down last night.
Am.

flashc
05-09-2012, 12:02am
Good point! Why didn't I think of that, assuming it was FF all the time?

Somewhere in the works a computer re-start seems to have had some effect. I didn't do that until it was shut down last night.
Am.

Something must have Jinxed me after posting in this thread. Would you believe my internet transfers in and out died today and only my Norton antivirus could connect and download updates. Everything looked fine and no matter what I did or shut down,software running or computer, modem reset, I could not get Firefox or IE to talk to the Internet. But... very interestingly, this appeared eventually in Firefox (IE had a heart attack and locked up) "Adobe Flash Player 11.3 r300 has stopped working". Possibly, it was after I shut down the Adobe updater running on the pc as a process in the background, everything recovered and now it's fine again.

I see a malicious script off the web tried to run on my pc back in August probably about when I first received a message to update Flash player.

Quarantined: High,ac_runactivecontent [1].js (JS.Alescurf) detected by Download Insight,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action Required

Maybe there's something odd going on with the Flash Player updating...

Warbler
05-09-2012, 9:32am
"Adobe Flash Player 11.3 r300 has stopped working".......I see a malicious script off the web tried to run on my pc back in August......Maybe there's something odd going on with the Flash Player updating...

I kept getting that message with all previous FF V14.x.x. Even unistalling and reinstalling did not help. Like you, I began to suspect some maligne influence. When I installed this latest FF update, it told me to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Adobe Flash, which I did. No more problems!

I did go to the trouble of downloading and installing msert.exe (google it) and running it several times. It found a trojan (can't remember the name) that got through AVG and Trend Micro. Of course it might have been a false positive, but msert.exe is a Microsoft product and you'd hope that Microsoft would know what is or isn't a threat on their software.

Be warned though! A complete scan using msert.exe WILL take a long time on large systems. Mine took two whole days to scan all my hard drives and backups.

Hope this info is a help for someone.

Cheers,
Tim

PS I also updated my Java installation as well so maybe that also had something to do with it.

ving
05-09-2012, 10:54am
no issues with opera. :p

Kym
05-09-2012, 11:00am
@ving :p

Current AP usages... (top 5)
Firefox 37.9 %
Google Chrome 22.8 %
MS Internet Explorer 20.9 %
Safari 16 %
Opera 1.1 %

ameerat42
05-09-2012, 5:10pm

FF is like an opera: "La donna 'e mobile".
(But only as an opera, mind!)

Mark L
05-09-2012, 9:24pm
There are some problems with FF and Flash Player. I recently updated both and it stuffed heaps up. From memory Flash Player 14...... is the update that made everything crash. Anyway, you can google any amount of things, but this step backwards has worked for me.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/flash-113-crashes#w_step-2-install-flash-10-3

arthurking83
05-09-2012, 10:15pm

Is that Winfrey? :lol2:

flashc
13-09-2012, 8:21pm
My computer just started going slow today...

Couldn't find the problem, but eventually up popped a message I've seen before, "Adobe Flash Player 11.3 r300 has stopped working".

Ran the latest version of Microsoft scan software downloaded from Microsoft.

Last time, this was discussed here, I disabled this version flash player totally in Firefox and never had another issue with Firefox. Seems it's switched itself on again somehow, but now I've disabled it again and problem resolved.

Just have don't a Flash Player at all in Firefox again - too bad Adobe...

Mark L
13-09-2012, 8:47pm

Dumb question time. As per post 17, I've gone back to an early version of Flash Player. However, what would happen if I delete it from my programs. Is it needed to operate on the w.w.w.?

MissionMan
13-09-2012, 8:57pm
My computer just started going slow today...

Couldn't find the problem, but eventually up popped a message I've seen before, "Adobe Flash Player 11.3 r300 has stopped working".

Ran the latest version of Microsoft scan software downloaded from Microsoft.

Last time, this was discussed here, I disabled this version flash player totally in Firefox and never had another issue with Firefox. Seems it's switched itself on again somehow, but now I've disabled it again and problem resolved.

Now you know why Steve Jobs hated Adobe so much and refused to put it on the iPhone

arthurking83
14-09-2012, 7:27am
Now you know why Steve Jobs hated Adobe so much and refused to put it on the iPhone

While this sounds like a mighty noble effort on Job's part, isn't it up to the individual to decide what software they wish to install or use on their devices?

Didn't they(Apple) also not allow the use of Java on the iPhone?
We have only just introduced a new booking system at work and with that came a pile of mobile devices for the drivers to use to complete their jobs.
My understanding of the system is that it runs a Java applet, and that we can use our own mobile phones to connect and complete jobs if we wish, but most of the drivers use an iPhone and can't connect to the web based app. On an Android phone it's easy and pretty efficient to do .. BUT! ... the durable mobile scanner/PDA devices we eventually got are of the massively incapable Windows Mobile 6.5 variety and always causing issues!
(Idiot boss didn't ask for my input, and eventually he'll end up paying for it with disconnected drivers missing vital jobs and so forth) :rolleyes:

So while it's a noble cause to refuse to allow such a wide spread software system on your pet projects, they should understand that the device is actually the property of the owner and that the owner should have the first right of refusal.

flashc
14-09-2012, 2:25pm
Thinking about it a little more...

Perhaps it's a Firefox program coding issue and not Adobe Flashplayer...

Every time a new version of Flash is updated and released, does Adobe have to make it compatible with every piece of software, old or new. Perhaps it's up to the programmers of the application who choose to allow their product to integrate with other software, to have their software program totally compatible with an addon application that is seen as an necessary and essential addon part of a web browser.

Adobe software still annoys me though...

ameerat42
14-09-2012, 3:33pm
Folks. Just the other day a msg came up to install V15.0.1.

I did that and the speed is back up to "normal", ie, the speed hump seems to have flattened.
Am.

Kym
14-09-2012, 3:51pm
Chrome's flash player is home grown - they don't use the Adobe one... that says a lot

flashc
14-09-2012, 6:45pm
Folks. Just the other day a msg came up to install V15.0.1.

I did that and the speed is back up to "normal", ie, the speed hump seems to have flattened.
Am.

Yes... mine is v 15.01. I do remember a small Firefox upgrade download I allowed to happen in the background, (I don't have auto updates on) but due to my system indicating symptoms of a hard drive failure just before I disabled Flash player again, I had forgotten about it. The upgrade must have reactivated my Flash player and the system couldn't cope for some reason...

Do you know which version of flash player you're using now...

ameerat42
14-09-2012, 7:24pm
According to Control Panel it's V 11.4.402.265.
Am.

Kym
14-09-2012, 7:27pm
Downgrade to flash 10 -- 11 is the problem :D

MissionMan
18-09-2012, 8:00am
While this sounds like a mighty noble effort on Job's part, isn't it up to the individual to decide what software they wish to install or use on their devices?

So while it's a noble cause to refuse to allow such a wide spread software system on your pet projects, they should understand that the device is actually the property of the owner and that the owner should have the first right of refusal.

Yes and no. If it affects the user experience and the reliability of the device then they may feel they aren't prepared to compromise on this.

How many viruses have destroyed Microsofts reputation which can largely be attributed to users installing crap they shouldn't be on their machines. If I was a company (and given the way the US market has gone with the right of dumb people to sue) I'd be looking to protect myself against these idiots.

flashc
19-09-2012, 1:57am
Dumb question time. As per post 17, I've gone back to an early version of Flash Player. However, what would happen if I delete it from my programs. Is it needed to operate on the w.w.w.?

I had disabled the latest version of Flash Player in Firefox 15.0.1 because it was unstable and thought I had no problems.

Photobucket and other sites are refusing to work correctly without a Flash player onboard.

So, have just downloaded Flash player v10.3.183.23 from Adobe archives. Uninstalled old version first (was version 11.) and then reinstalled v10.

Firefox and system now appears to be stable and 100% again...