PDA

View Full Version : MUST SEE: International Loupe Awards

enduro
01-09-2012, 8:47pm
I just received an email that these awards are now open. Entries close 13th Oct 2012

See here: http://www.loupeawards.com (http://www.loupeawards.com/)

Terrific Photography and Photoshop technique here. I've only gone through a few images and will be going back for more soon.

Regards,

Wayne.

Milbs1
12-09-2012, 10:45pm
Agree, this is a well run competition with a great standard. I'll throw in a couple of images and try to beat my scores from last year!

enduro
12-09-2012, 11:17pm
Must remember to do something about this myself!

shelly1170
23-11-2012, 12:33pm
Looks like the votes are in. One of my dear friends from PNG was just notified she got a Bronze Award.

Did anyone enter? Any news?

JM Tran
23-11-2012, 5:18pm
I entered 6 images for the first time this year.

3 in Commercial and 3 in Weddings

I currently have 1 Silver and 2 Bronze in Commercial, and the Wedding category has not bee marked yet.

This is a very very high standard international photocomp, and you do get a lot of heavyweights from US and Europe entering high quality images, particular in the Open and Medium Format fields.

Much harder competition than AIPP APPA annual comps in my opinion.

Dylan & Marianne
24-11-2012, 5:54am
haven't heard anything from landscapes yet for marianne or me!

Milbs1
25-11-2012, 11:26pm
I got a silver in Sport (Open, so batting with the big boys!). Really happy with the result
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8064/8208056724_36ae41e2c5_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirleymilburn/8208056724/)
Loupe Awards - Cycling shadows (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirleymilburn/8208056724/) by milbs1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/shirleymilburn/), on Flickr

Still waiting on amateur landscapes and illustrative results.
I noticve there is a lot more feedback this year, and seeing all the judges scores is interesting. For the bike shot I scored a gold, 3 silvers and a bronze so quite a spread!

Dylan & Marianne
26-11-2012, 10:40am
that's good to know ! I actually thought that image would do better since you won the better photography comp with it!

Milbs1
26-11-2012, 3:35pm
that's good to know ! I actually thought that image would do better since you won the better photography comp with it!

BP was an amateur only comp though, so a different playing field. One of the judges commented "was this not in last years awards??? loses impact, but still lovely..." which was annoying as it wasnt the same competition.

Still waiting on the amateur entries!!

Rattus79
26-11-2012, 4:44pm
BP was an amateur only comp though, so a different playing field. One of the judges commented "was this not in last years awards??? loses impact, but still lovely..." which was annoying as it wasnt the same competition.

Still waiting on the amateur entries!!

Only goes to show how small the internet really is hey? :D

Dylan & Marianne
26-11-2012, 8:45pm
hmm, I hope they haven't seen my entries before then ! bit odd really, I would have thought that a good picture is a good picture no matter if you've seen it before and especially if you're paying to have it judged objectively? I can understand the feedback it was a popular vote but just struggling to come to terms with proper judging giving you those words. But then again, I know there are lots of people who have been witholding sharing images they're planning on entering comps . Is this a done thing in general? Oh well, live and learn I guess!

Rattus79
26-11-2012, 10:03pm
I hope they haven't seen my entries before then

At least one of the judges are known to frequent this site .....

Milbs1
26-11-2012, 11:35pm
Yes but it is my understanding that we will not be judged by our countrymen, it must be someone outside of Australia.

I guess its a fair comment, I have seen a few images in this years that have been around the comps for a while and you do get a bit bored seeing the shot again and again!!

I have a different cycling shadows shot in Amateur Illustrative that I haven't had scored before, so I'll see how that one does!!

I'm just getting impatient for more feedback now!

Dylan & Marianne
27-11-2012, 12:45pm
I can't say I enter too many comps apart from on this site so it's all pretty new to me
I think if it's an unspoken standard, then I'll just have to accept it and stash away the best ones for comp consideration !
The feedback is what I'm looking forward to as well - I really like the idea given that in the past, I've not come across a comp with that added bonus :)
Rattus ....... errrrr .....hmmmm, thanks for letting me know lol - hopefully not looking at the landscape genre :P

kiwi
27-11-2012, 7:05pm
My results with the two I submitted in the Open category, bit of a test to other awards so I didnt throw my best images in, so, that's nice

TwinII
27-11-2012, 9:34pm
I got a silver in Sport (Open, so batting with the big boys!). Really happy with the result

SNIP

Still waiting on amateur landscapes and illustrative results.
I noticve there is a lot more feedback this year, and seeing all the judges scores is interesting. For the bike shot I scored a gold, 3 silvers and a bronze so quite a spread!

I thought I had seen this shot before - nice work!

hmm, I hope they haven't seen my entries before then ! bit odd really, I would have thought that a good picture is a good picture no matter if you've seen it before and especially if you're paying to have it judged objectively? I can understand the feedback it was a popular vote but just struggling to come to terms with proper judging giving you those words. But then again, I know there are lots of people who have been witholding sharing images they're planning on entering comps . Is this a done thing in general? Oh well, live and learn I guess!

I try to enter new images into each comp I go in rather than submitting the same image - I suppose I'm looking for feedback or trying to gauge how well I am doing. I entered 3 shots this year in amateur landscape so we'll see how they go.

Milbs1
27-11-2012, 10:59pm
Congrats Kiwi, love the soccer shot :th3:

I also usually enter new images, but as the bike shot had done well in an amateur comp I wanted tosee how it went in the open :)
I think we will see some landscape scores tonight!

Dylan & Marianne
28-11-2012, 6:15am
I was starting to think I'd not submitted right but got a bronze score for 1 image so far - just waiting on the rest
interesting the only feedback was a crop suggestion and pretty big huge variation on the scores! (20)

Mary Anne
28-11-2012, 8:23am
My results with the two I submitted in the Open category, bit of a test to other awards so I didnt throw my best images in, so, that's nice

Good on you Darren :th3::th3:

Dylan & Marianne
28-11-2012, 8:30am
suprised the soccer shot didn't do better Darren? - will keep a close eye on the eventual winner in that category!

kiwi
28-11-2012, 9:23am
I was pretty happy with that silver, I've seen lots of very good shots not even get a bronze

It would be interesting to see some statistics

Dylan & Marianne
30-11-2012, 6:29am
All results are in for Marianne and me
Happy to report 1 gold, 7 silver, 5 bronze between us with Marianne excelling!
There has been a lot of criticism about the judges this year because of the visible feedback - I kind of thought it was light hearted at first but some have really taken the results to heart online like requesting appeals and so forth. I'm not sure you can really appeal a subjective opinion?? Just thinking about the masses of images to score for the judges gives me a headache - what an unenviable task in 2012 to have that work transparent!
I'm looking forward to the display of the top 50 - should be some really cool images there from what I've seen floating around!
And as per the original post by Wayne, an inspiration for 2013 in all the genres we shoot ;)

Milbs1
30-11-2012, 11:13am
Well done Dylan, and especially Marianne!!!!!! Look forward to seeing the Gold, and I'm sure some of your own in the top 50.

Opening up the transparency has certainly caused a bit of a ruccus!! I like the transparency, and people need to understand that it is always going to be subjective, just because one judge doesn't "get it" doesn't mean the judging is a waste of space, a joke or anything to cry about. It frustrates me seeing some of the comments.

For myself, well my goal was to beat last years effort (2 bronzes from 4) and try to get a silver. I achieved that (silver in open and 3 bronzes in amateur), so I'm pretty happy. Just hoping the bike shot makes the top 50, that would be the icing on the cake :-)

Dylan & Marianne
30-11-2012, 2:02pm
Agreed Shirl :)
Now we have a baseline, we have that added extra element to work toward with our photography - if it means taking more types of shots out of our comfort zone , that'd help us in the long run anyway !

outstar79
30-11-2012, 4:13pm
Well done Dylan and Marianne! I might get there one year (decade!) :D

Glenda
30-11-2012, 5:20pm
Congrats to all of you who have entered let alone won awards. I can see previous years entries on the site but can I view the current ones, or is it only after the final judging.

Dylan & Marianne
30-11-2012, 5:40pm
We all have our scores but placings yet to come!

JM Tran
01-12-2012, 9:02am
On the positive and negative side, look at the number of ppl that can and will call themselves 'award winning' photographers now.......!

kiwi
18-12-2012, 6:57pm
11th on open sport......I'm definately calling myself an international award winner ;-)

Glenda
18-12-2012, 7:46pm
Congratulations Kiwi. There are some amazing photographs and lots of Aussies represented among the winners.

Milbs1
19-12-2012, 12:24am
11th on open sport......I'm definately calling myself an international award winner ;-)

You beat me into 13th, I demand a revote!!!!
Congrats :2smile:

The top 50s in all categories are worth a look, some very inspiring images, and plenty of familiar names I know from around the forums.