hi alli am in the process of starting to look for filters for landscape
i have looked at hoya b&w and cokin/lee
i was wondering what people think about screw on versus the slide in systems
the filters i want to start with are a 9 or 10 stop nd
cheers macca

Rattus79
22-08-2012, 9:55am
It will depend upon use.

For a big stopper I use a Singh Ray Vari ND $400 price tag, but doesn't colour cast and only vignetts a tiny little bit at less then 14mm on my 1.5 crop Pentax

For general landscape stuff I use the Cokin P series which does vignette at anything under 14mm. The cokin filters also tend to leave a magenta cast on photos. That is easily fixed in photoshop though.

A graduated ND must be slip in, otherwise it limits the creativity. Some of our best landsapers dont even use holders. Dylan, I'm looking at you.

davsv1
22-08-2012, 11:08am
It will depend upon use.

For a big stopper I use a Singh Ray Vari ND $400 price tag, but doesn't colour cast and only vignetts a tiny little bit at less then 14mm on my 1.5 crop Pentax

For general landscape stuff I use the Cokin P series which does vignette at anything under 14mm. The cokin filters also tend to leave a magenta cast on photos. That is easily fixed in photoshop though.

A graduated ND must be slip in, otherwise it limits the creativity. Some of our best landsapers dont even use holders. Dylan, I'm looking at you.
Greg, I am assuming that yours is a slimline version of the Singh Ray? Mine is not the slimline and I can not get anywhere near 14mm, try 40mm ff equiv.
Anyone buying vary nd's get slimline version, all it means is you can't use your standard lens cap, must buy a slip on one.

Rattus79
22-08-2012, 2:24pm
Yes, slimline WA version. Also means you can't stack filters with it on.

Edit:
Not bad for a $5 junk store bargain. :D

Wayne
22-08-2012, 4:31pm
Just want ND, the cheapest least flexible option in screw in.
If you might play with GND, RGND etc later, consider slide in type. Highly recommend Lee, none finer for that type.

macmich
22-08-2012, 5:05pm
thanks wayne
i just want an nd at this stage
i have been reading about how you can do long exposures during daylight hours
with a 9 or 10 stop
i will look into the lee
i presume thats the big stopper
cheers macca