PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

Castro
17-08-2012, 11:35pm
Hi all, I'm Castro I am new here, so please be nice. I have always loved and appreciated photography for a long time, since childhood but now I want to do something about it. I hope you good people will be very kind and generous with your knowledge. First of all I am in the market for a camera to start with. I guess, I will search the forum for similar threads so I won't be repeating what has already been asked. Anyway happy to be here.

Chao!

ricktas
18-08-2012, 6:15am
welcome Castro. when deciding on a camera you need to firstly decide if you want a compact, mirrorless, dslr or some thing else. do you have any idea on type/brand at this point?

Wayne63
18-08-2012, 6:56am
Welcome to AP Castro, also need to consider what your budget is as well

xxdrakexx
18-08-2012, 9:34am
welcome to AP :)

Kym
18-08-2012, 11:00am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Castro
18-08-2012, 1:31pm
Well thanks guys, I want to purchase a DSLR and I think preferably a Canon. Someone I was talking to the other day was recommending a Canon 5d MKII, but at this stage I just want to get opinions and I will make a choice from there. Budget wise, I would say around 1500, don't know much about lenses either so quite lot to learn actually. Anyway that's why I joined this forum. I like nature, there is beautiful scenery around Australia to add to the nice weather. This is going to become a serious hobby for me.

ricktas
18-08-2012, 1:36pm
With $1500 you are going to push it even getting a 5D MkII body, without any lenses. The MkII still sells for between about $1600 - $1900

If you budget is $1500, and you want to stick to Canon, have a look at the Canon 7D around a bit over $1000.00 and then look at a wide angle lens for your scenery (land and seascapes)

Castro
18-08-2012, 1:55pm
With $1500 you are going to push it even getting a 5D MkII body, without any lenses. The MkII still sells for between about $1600 - $1900

If you budget is $1500, and you want to stick to Canon, have a look at the Canon 7D around a bit over $1000.00 and then look at a wide angle lens for your scenery (land and seascapes)

You're quite right on the MKII pricing, I have been looking at the prices on places like ebay and a few online stores too. You just answered one of my questions regarding wide angle shots. I was under the impression that it's the camera that provides the size of the angle. I'm learning already!

Mary Anne
18-08-2012, 2:10pm
Hello Castro and Welcome to AP.. Rick is right the 5D Mk11 will blow your budget with just the body.
Did you know that it is a full frame camera and will only take EF lenses..
For your money think about the 60D its a cropped frame and it will take EF and EF-S lenses.
I reckon the Sigma 10-20mm Ultra wide angle lens will pair up great for your Landscapes..

Mark L
18-08-2012, 10:16pm
well Castro, some would say get the best lens you can afford, and don't spend so much on the body (good lens last a long time). Others would say as a starting point, get good camera . I reckon most recent DSLR's are good cameras. And, and ....
Anyway, welcome.
Why not post your questions here ...http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Camera-Lens-Gear-Talk
It may have been asked many times, but forum threads come and go, so it doesn't hurt to ask again.