PDA

View Full Version : What cheeses me off!

Warbler
16-08-2012, 4:33pm
Ha! Waiting two weeks for a new camera to finally arrive, and then having to wait for the batteries to charge overnight before you can use it. :eek::lol:

I'm sure it will be worth the wait though.

Cheers,
Tim

ricktas
16-08-2012, 5:01pm
on a list for a D800 or D800e are we? I reckon there are plenty here who can appreciate your pain.

Warbler
16-08-2012, 5:42pm
No I bought a 5DMkIII. It arrived today. Just charging the batteries now so I can switch it on. They don't have the AC couplers anymore. Mine didn't anyway. If I was a bit better organised, I'd have bought a spare battery from somewhere as a separate order, but then I'd have to have a charger I suppose. LOL. Can't win. At least I'll get to use it tomorrow. Might spend my time doing something useful, like reading the manual. :rolleyes:

rafikicat
16-08-2012, 5:53pm
" Might spend my time doing something useful, like reading the manual."

What a radical idea.:D

Warbler
16-08-2012, 6:13pm
Yer, I didn't think anyone had thought of that before. :cool:

chaosboi
16-08-2012, 6:16pm
...and this is the only reason I enjoy receiving a new camera with an uncharged battery, you read the manual.

MarkChap
16-08-2012, 7:44pm
The battery won't take "over night" to charge

Coupla hours and she be sweet

Mark L
16-08-2012, 10:05pm
You don't have to fully charge the battery for it to work.
Now get back to that manual. Time well spent.

Warbler
17-08-2012, 9:30am
Two fully charged batteries now, so I'm off to micro-adjust all my lenses. I've only had to do the Sigma lenses on my other bodies, so it will be interesting to see just how they go on this one.

Cheers,
Tim

swifty
17-08-2012, 12:15pm
One possible solution. If the vertical grip accepts AA's too (not sure if it does for the 5D3), buy with the grip and have a couple of juiced up AAs ready to go.

Bennymiata
17-08-2012, 11:17pm
I was lucky when I got my 5D3.
My 60D uses the same batteries, so it was instant action!!

Eberbachl
17-08-2012, 11:27pm
I hate that wait! I do like to read the manual, but I love to have the camera in hand as I go through it. The solution? Buy a spare battery and have it at home and charged before the camera arrives. That way you're good to go as soon as it's out of the box, and you have a spare battery already too.

:D

Greg Johnston
18-08-2012, 12:22am
Hi Tim. You mentioned micro adjusting your lenses. That's a new concept to me. What is that all about?

ktoopi
18-08-2012, 12:31am
Hi Tim. You mentioned micro adjusting your lenses. That's a new concept to me. What is that all about?

I'm also interested to know what that's about:)

MarkChap
18-08-2012, 12:36am
. They don't have the AC couplers anymore.

Please explain ??

The 5dMKIII comes with a charger and cable to connect to the power point ??

pixy
18-08-2012, 12:56am
I believe all cameras have a facility to fix front or back focusing,it is called AF adjustment Rick has posted some focusing charts that can be downloaded to check your lenses,to micro adjust.

Jack.

Warbler
18-08-2012, 7:27am
Ac Coupler is bit that has a connection the same shape and size as the battery, that goes in the battery compartment, but has a cord that goes directly to the power point. Comes in handy if shooting tethered or when you have two new batteries that haven't been charged yet. :D See here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590445-REG/Canon_3351B002_ACK_E6_AC_Adapter_Kit.html

The last time I bought a body, I got one of these in the box.

Micro-adjustment has been a feature of Canon cameras since the 40D (I think). It allows you to adjust for each lens the focus, forward or back, to compensate for copy variation. The 5DMkIII holds two adjustment values for each lens. One for the wide end, and one for the long end. I've previously had to use this to get the sharpest results for a Sigma lens, but not for any Canon L lenses. I guess the variation in my ability was enough to hide the variation in the Canon lenses. :D

The adjustment value for the Sigma is different on the 5DMkIII to my other bodies. That seems odd to me, so I'm going to recheck them all.

Xenedis
18-08-2012, 10:18am
Ac Coupler is bit that has a connection the same shape and size as the battery, that goes in the battery compartment, but has a cord that goes directly to the power point. Comes in handy if shooting tethered or when you have two new batteries that haven't been charged yet. :D See here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590445-REG/Canon_3351B002_ACK_E6_AC_Adapter_Kit.html

The last time I bought a body, I got one of these in the box.

I've owned three Canon DSLRs since 2005 (all Australian stock rather than imports), and none of them has included one of those.

Warbler
18-08-2012, 12:24pm
I've owned three Canon DSLRs since 2005 (all Australian stock rather than imports), and none of them has included one of those.

How many 1-series? Got those with my one series cameras (different shape obviously), and I've got one here from an original 5D (or maybe my D30) too. I've never had to buy one separately, so the ones I have all came in the original boxes. :)

Xenedis
18-08-2012, 1:02pm
How many 1-series?

None. I had a 20D in 2005, a 5D in 2006 and a 5D Mark II in 2010.

Got those with my one series cameras (different shape obviously)

The 1-series cameras have a completely different battery, though -- one that almost covers the full length of the camera base.

and I've got one here from an original 5D (or maybe my D30) too.

My 5D did not come with one. While the product brochure (of which I only have the printed version) doesn't specify the standard accessories (there was a document -- which I no longer have -- which did), I doubt it was included.

I have the product brochures for the 20D and 5D Mark II (and just about every DSLR Canon has released), and for the 5D Mark II, the ACK-E6 isn't listed in the 'Standard Accessories' section of Canon EOS 5D Mark II product brochure; it is, however, listed in the 'Optional Accessories' section.

The 20D's brochure also doesn't include that accessory (or the equivalent that existed for that camera).

In short, it's not a standard (ie, included) accessory.

(The 20D and original 5D both use(d) the same battery: the BP-511A; I had both cameras concurrently for a few years.)

Warbler
18-08-2012, 1:16pm
My, you're an argumentative type Zenedis. :D I merely stated that the last body I purchased came with the coupler. That was a 1-series. The 1-series I had before that also had the coupler. I also have a coupler with the smaller BP-type end on it, which I thought I got with my 5D, but if you say I didn't, then fine. I couldn't remember if it was the 5D or my very first DSLR, the D30. Don't mix up the D30 with the 30D. Different cameras. I have had Canon DSLR's since 2001. I currently have six. It's no big deal. My post here was tongue-in-cheek rather a real complaint. It was a bit of fun. *removed - do not tell other members to 'lighten up' they are entitled to post their views and opinions: Admin*

Xenedis
18-08-2012, 1:22pm
My, you're an argumentative type Zenedis. :D

s/Z/X/g;

I'm merely pointing out the facts as specified by the Canon Australia product literature, and confirmed by what I received with three Canon DSLRs I've purchased.

I also have a coupler with the smaller BP-type end on it, which I thought I got with my 5D, but if you say I didn't, then fine.

I'm not saying you didn't receive one; I'm saying that it is not an included accessory.

Don't mix up the D30 with the 30D. Different cameras.

I'm very much aware of that.

I have had Canon DSLR's since 2001. I currently have six. It's no big deal. My post here was tongue-in-cheek rather a real complaint. It was a bit of fun. Lighten-up. :p

Again, I'm just spelling out what is and isn't included as a standard accessory with an Australian-market Canon DSLR.

That way there can be no confusion.

Duane Pipe
18-08-2012, 1:33pm
I thought this was a What cheeses me off segment like on Hay hay. So what cheeses me off! I still live at home at the age of 45:lol2: Its driving me nuts too so I am thinking of getting off the grid and going bush:th3::beer_mug:

Warbler
18-08-2012, 1:35pm
And, Dave, that's what I hoped this thread would be. :th3:

Xenedis
18-08-2012, 1:41pm
I still live at home at the age of 45

Eeek! How can you remain sane?

Duane Pipe
18-08-2012, 2:33pm
And, Dave, that's what I hoped this thread would be. :th3:

I'm glad I put that in here then Warbler:th3:

- - - Updated - - -

Eeek! How can you remain sane?

You have no idea John. I cant find work and when I do my body cant handle it, so its time to fly the coop. I plan to camp in the bush but not to far from and supply's.

William
18-08-2012, 3:19pm
Hey Dave , Then how are you going to keep in touch with us on AP :(, A Lappy hooked up to a Solar Panel may work with a Dongle

Duane Pipe
18-08-2012, 4:33pm
Hey Dave , Then how are you going to keep in touch with us on AP :(, A Lappy hooked up to a Solar Panel may work with a Dongle

Don't panic Bill as I need to come home every second weekend to have my son. I will use Mums lappy and down load all my fun pix:th3:
Thats only if I can log on using a different computer,I was going to ask Rick that Q. Can someone answer that for me please:beer_mug:

William
18-08-2012, 4:37pm
Yes you can do it , If It's from another IP Address, You get a Automated message , Just PM Rick and He'll fix it :th3:

Duane Pipe
18-08-2012, 4:52pm
Yes you can do it , If It's from another IP Address, You get a Automated message , Just PM Rick and He'll fix it :th3:
Good one thanks Bill:th3:

Duane Pipe
18-08-2012, 8:31pm
Hey Tim. Isn't it good to see that Aus Photography brings so much happiness that you and me are the only members with a bitch:lol:

Mark L
18-08-2012, 10:31pm

Greg, I don't think the 60D has this ability, I think the 7D does kp.
googling "micro adjusting canon lens" came up with this for starters.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Warbler
18-08-2012, 11:35pm
Hey Tim. Isn't it good to see that Aus Photography brings so much happiness that you and me are the only members with a bitch:lol:

Lucky you Dave! My bitch ran away.

crazymorton
19-08-2012, 5:46pm
...and this is the only reason I enjoy receiving a new camera with an uncharged battery, you read the manual.

they come with a manual? will have to explore the packaging further next time :scrtch:

Ezookiel
19-08-2012, 7:04pm
No micro adjust on the 60D either - well not that I know of anyway.

Bennymiata
19-08-2012, 9:34pm
Lucky you Dave! My bitch ran away.

One guy says to the other, "My wife's an angel."
"Lucky you. Mine's still alive." :D

Warbler
20-08-2012, 9:41am
You're a bad man, Bennymiata. I was talking about my kelpie-cross. :D

Altonian
20-08-2012, 10:44am
How many 1-series? Got those with my one series cameras (different shape obviously), and I've got one here from an original 5D (or maybe my D30) too. I've never had to buy one separately, so the ones I have all came in the original boxes. :)
I recently bought a 1dx and it would have been nice if it came with an ac coupler but it didn't. Your guna love your new 5d3!

Warbler
20-08-2012, 11:14am
I recently bought a 1dx and it would have been nice if it came with an ac coupler but it didn't. Your guna love your new 5d3!

Thanks Altonian. I can't say I've used those couplers often. It was just an observation and a throw-away line. I really did want to try a 1Dx, but I just can't justify the price yet. It's taking me a little while to get used to where everything is in the menus, but it certainly feels and sounds nice. It's also my first with movie capability and I think I might see what I can do with that at some stage. Good luck with your choice though. I am envious. :D