PDA

View Full Version : I am going to Melbourne :)

andylo
14-08-2012, 8:51am
Hi all,

I am going to Melbourne - it's a work trip between 27th Aug (arrive) to 2nd Sep (leave in the arvo).

I will have a rental car all by myself and the motel I am staying is at Burwood.

I will also have all the weekend by myself doing nothing.

So my question is: can you please recommend me where I can do some landscape photos? I have been to 12 apos already but it's a bit too far for my liking.

I will be doing some research during this week but would like to see if I can get a head start from here :)

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

MissionMan
14-08-2012, 8:56am
Sorrento/Rosebud has some nice piers with beautiful turquoise blue water. Its about an hour from Melbourne

macmich
14-08-2012, 9:04am
your on the right side of ntown for the dandenongs and they will not dissapoint you andy
google dandenongs and good luck
cheers macca

matilda
14-08-2012, 9:32am
I'm pretty sure there is a photography walking group that does st kilda area too but do you think I could remember the name, when it comes to me I will post it.

- - - Updated - - -

found it

here is the fb page https://www.facebook.com/#!/djbworldphotography

Seabee
14-08-2012, 11:30am
Hmmmmm I would probably head down to the Pinnacles on Phillip Island.
Alfred Nicholas Gardens in Olinda?
Cement Creek in Warburton.
Toorango Falls in Noojee
If you have done the Apostles from Melbourne...........maybe think of the other way and head down to Wilsons Prom. It wont dissapoint:th3:

MissionMan
14-08-2012, 12:45pm
These are the types of pier setups you can expect around Rosebud and Sorrento if thats your thing. Lots of long piers (about 5 or 6 of them) with beautiful tropical looking water (which in reality is colder than a snowman's armpit). I'm not very good at landscapes so you'll have to excuse the photo, its still something I'm getting to grips with but given your skill level, you'll probably have a much better time and would be able to really take advantage of it.

https://img.skitch.com/20120814-qk8cx7rht8m8ts29ry5k4hawea.jpg

Film Street
14-08-2012, 12:54pm
try the Black Spur

arthurking83
14-08-2012, 9:50pm
From Burwood, you're less than half an hour to the feet of the Dandenongs. From there you can in any direction(up the mountains of course) and lose yourself.

Puffin Billy(Upwey/Belgrave and onto Emerald) is a major attraction to the right .... and up the mountain, Sassafras and Olinda are to the left(up the mountain road).
The roads all interconnect so you can do it as a loop. So that you can go one way and then connect (for example) from Emerald via Monbulk and onto Olinda and back to the hotel again.
If the weather is accommodating this would probably take you more than the whole day taking time for photo ops.
In fact that woudl be the best way to do the trip, ending up near Olinda later in the day/evening. Near Olinda is Mount Dandenong lookout point.
There's an entry fee to get up there and there are facilities(restaurant/cafe/kiosk or whatever now) and the view across Melb is pretty good.
other attractions out that way are the flower farms near Monbulk. Although I dunno how they're going in terms of flower blooms at this time of year.

That time of the year up that way you can be almost guaranteed that see a frosty foggy morning up that way, and snow is known to occur up there too if the weather is right(or wrong, depending on your point of view).

This is Emerald(but of course in Autumn):

and apologies for the actual image content .. this is a toilet block! :p

Jarryd
14-08-2012, 9:59pm
It's cleaner than any public toilet you'll find!

and that's a nice image, this thread has just inspired me too.

bricat
16-08-2012, 8:21am
There are guided tour walks around Melbourne City which might be of interest to you.

http://www.melbournebyfoot.com/

axle01
16-08-2012, 3:03pm
your on the right side of ntown for the dandenongs and they will not dissapoint you andy
google dandenongs and good luck
cheers macca

And he could even do a helicopter flight over Melbourne down to St Kilda and back over the MCG and the city.

Duane Pipe
16-08-2012, 3:34pm
I lived on the foot hills of the Dandenongs for 20 odd years (Mt Evelyn) and would recommend the area too.
I am not sure weather this spot is still open, If it is it might be worth a look if you like statues and gardens.
Can any one confirm if it is still open.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ricketts