PDA

View Full Version : Comp with 14"x11"" Ratio Requirement

enduro
30-07-2012, 10:59pm
Hi all,

I've decided to enter a local competition once again this year and each time they run the competition they are asking for professional and amateurs to enter from the local state.

Each time I do consider entering, I'm continuously amazed at the unusual (to me anyway!) crop ratio's they come up with. This time it is 11x14 inch which doesn't really fit how I shoot :eek:

Having a catalog of images shot for 8x11 or wider ratios (mostly 16x9) I'm finding myself really squeezed in here.

Fortunately, PS has Scaling and Distort Tools where I can manipulate my images down to such a limiting ratio.

Surprisingly, my selected landscape image doesn't look too bad squeezed up.

Wish me luck!

mongo
30-07-2012, 11:02pm
..... Wish me luck!

you have it Wayne - go for it !

Seabee
30-07-2012, 11:03pm
Good lord whatever you do 'don't' distort, skew or squeeze your images!!
Just recrop to that ratio and good luck!

enduro
30-07-2012, 11:09pm
Good lord whatever you do 'don't' distort, skew or squeeze your images!!

I disagree.

Three nationally awarded and professional photographers that I can think of (names will remain undisclosed) regularly scale and distort their images to some degree, particularly to place them into a certain crop. It is subject dependent.

Recropping the image I have in mind will not work. At this point in time, the alternative it the answer.

ameerat42
31-07-2012, 10:43am
I disagree...regularly scale and distort their images to some degree, particularly to place them into a certain crop. It is subject dependent.

I think I disagree too, but see pic below.
Am.

"Pic below"

reaction
31-07-2012, 3:10pm
shouldn't your pics start at 2:3?

Anyway that example is fake. A 3:4 scales to 11:14.67

:efelant:

enduro
31-07-2012, 10:15pm
I think I disagree too, but see pic below.
Am.

"Pic below"

Thanks for your input, ameerat42.

For the purpose of demonstration, please see an image straight from the camera (not even converted to web colours below) that has been squeezed in a little with the CS5 Scaling Tool from 12x8 to the said crop ratio.

With a little more adjustment, I doubt most would tell the difference as the framing, crop and crop ratio seem to work well in this instance. Add some text, buildings, people etc and there might be some issues.

I will reiterate: it is subject dependent.

The subject you have demonstrated is inappropriate in my mind.

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Edamask/Wayne/Photo/forum/canon/_MG_4983.jpg

Dylan & Marianne
31-07-2012, 10:34pm
It could even work to advantage with certain perspectives but I reckon the key is that it is entirely subject dependent as mentioned.
Do we get to see your entry? Good luck!

ricktas
01-08-2012, 7:17am
The other option is to go out and shoot a NEW photo, ensuring you get enough in so that you can crop as required, without skewing the photo to get the result needed. I generally shoot my landscapes knowing I want to crop an outside edge, but include more than needed in the original shot, to give me latitude to crop, or straighten an horizon, etc, without losing what I wanted in my photo.

Kym
20-08-2012, 3:06pm
shouldn't your pics start at 2:3?
Anyway that example is fake. A 3:4 scales to 11:14.67

4 x 3 * 3.5 = 14 x 11

4 x 3 is the standard for compact cameras, 3 x 2 is the DSLR standard.
Just crop as needed