PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Wireless Triggers

milesy
25-07-2012, 9:03pm
Hi Guys
i wonder if anyone else has seen this issue with the cactus v4 triggers - its really got me confused.

I have two receivers and one transmitter, what i am finding is happening is that i have one receiver on an old sigma flash and these seems to always fire reliably no issue. The other trigger though is connected to my AF540 flash an i often am finding that the trigger is activating the flash late. That is i can see the flash fires however there is no light entering the camera - this is when the shutter speed it set anywhere between 60 and 160.

If i reduce the shutter speed to say 1/2 second then sure enough the flash light appears as expected.

At first i though that maybe it was that receiver - so i swapped them over - but no the delay remains with the pentax flash.

The flash works perfectly when attached to the camera....

so anyone have any idea cos im beat??

Adrian

Film Street
25-07-2012, 9:22pm
Something not set correctly on the 540 by the sound of that. Is the wireless mode turned off? Use only the 540 until you sort it out before adding the sigma back in.

milesy
25-07-2012, 9:43pm
funnily enough though it doesnt always happen.......i was playing last night and it was happening as described so i tried changing the channel of the cactus.....whammo was then working ok, go down there tonight and sure enough the problem was there - tried changing the channel again but nope problem remained.........its just strange and very annoying

- - - Updated - - -

found this link regarding the same issue with the Pentax flash..(hope i allowed to post the link if not please remove)

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/remote-flash-triggers-16942/p-2

- - - Updated - - -

ok for anyone who is interested i found this information on the Pentax forums page...........

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/91628-cactus-v4-pentax-flash-cold.html

looks like i need to mod the reciever

Film Street
26-07-2012, 10:13am
Sounds like you're getting on top of it there.

mikew09
26-07-2012, 10:51am
Hmm, I have the V5 cactus triggers and have no issues at all. Not sure how different they are from the V4 but the couple of times I have had trigger issues is because I have accidentally bumped the channel setting. The V5 triggers are excellent value.

milesy
26-07-2012, 2:51pm
apparantley the V5's dont have the mentioned protection diode - so therefore dont suffer the same problem.