PDA

View Full Version : Black Rapid strap - more secure?

Schy
20-07-2012, 10:56pm
Hi guys,

I'm planning to get the black rapid sport strap but am a bit nervous with how it connects to the camera as it might drop all the gear attached to it.

My question is, has anyone used some sort of a 'back up' safety mechanism with the BR strap? Like something connected to the camera's 'proper' eyelet strap holder to the strap itself? Am just really worried that the camera and lens might drop at least you have a 'back up' if that happens.

Or is there any alternative strap that offers this kind of connection from strap to camera? Or do you guys recommend other straps? :O not really keen on neck straps, but if it is long that can be worn like a shoulder strap, i might consider it.. Ive seen the crumpler options but not really sure how comfortable they will be..

Wobbles
20-07-2012, 11:20pm
Schy,
the BR attachment is very secure I've walked around many days with 1D + 24-70/70-200f2.8 + flash attached with no sign of coming loose..
Lots of others here use them & I've never heard a report of one letting go.
Cheers
John

Schy
21-07-2012, 1:43am
Hehe! Is it just me being paranoid? Don't you ever feel or at least think that it might fall off? :O

macmich
21-07-2012, 8:34am
i have used one for a while now and it has not losened at all
do you have a back up incase your seatbelt fails
cheers macca

Lantern
21-07-2012, 8:56am
Mine works fine with 7D+lens+flash. No loosening of the attachment, and I 'drop' my camera while attached to the BR strap

Wayne
21-07-2012, 10:04am
I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience using one that has been screwed into the base of an L-plate?
I am thinking that with the L-plate being alloy, it may not bite as well as it does into the base rubber of the camera body.

davidd
21-07-2012, 1:05pm
I have attached the BR fitting to a small screw clamp from RRS, so I can attach it and detach it from my L-Bracket quickly when I want to use the tripod. I considered using a drop of Locktite on the fitting , as it does not need to be unscrewed, but so far it has been very secure without it.

Wayne
21-07-2012, 1:29pm
Thanks David, I know the mini RRS clamp you mean so I will order that.

strictfunctor
21-07-2012, 1:46pm
The BR fitting has its own rubber washer. So it doesn't work loose.
A major reason it doesn't is that the carabiner that connects to it
has its own swivel, so there's not going to be much torque applied
to the screw-in fitting.

Schy
21-07-2012, 3:56pm
Hehehe! Okay.. I'll be buying one of these straps soon! :D

Any advice which model to get?

fishographer
21-07-2012, 4:13pm
I almost got excited about the BR strap until I found the Carryspeed brand.
The attachment plate is much more secure and also let's you screw your tripod quick release plate onto it as well without the need for purchasing anything extra, it's also cheaper and the pro kit I purchased came with a couple of bonus extras.
It is very comfortable to wear and my 7D with any of my lenses sits snug onto my side nice and neatly

Sifor
21-07-2012, 8:30pm
I use a half BR system... purchased a fake BR strap on Ebay for $10, a steel swivel snap hook thing from Bunnings and a genuine BR fastener for my Manfrotto RC2 plate. I've been using it for a while now with my D800 + 24-70 2.8, it's on bloody tight..

I have thought about rigging up a backup - run some steel wire from the body eyelet to a snap hook that attaches to the BR fastener. That way the strap still takes the load and the wire would be a backup. Still, I can't be bothered doing that since I feel as though it's not going to come off anytime soon..

MissionMan
21-07-2012, 9:20pm
I mounted an Arca Swiss plate on the blackrapid screw and then I have the plates on my body and lenses where necessary which saves me having to unscrew the black rapid for tripod mounting or shifting between the body and longer lenses because they both use the same mount. As a backup, I use a climbing loop (rated to about 200kg's so pretty unlikely to break) but thats mainly because I'm using a battery grip on my camera and I'm not sure if I trust it completely.

Here are some pictures if what I said doesn't make sense. Excuse the picture quality, all I had was a little Sony TX10

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7614441714_1441ab1729_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7136/7614442300_45583ced36_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/7614443134_187a136e4a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7138/7614444734_e20861f704_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7614444010_c383dd37e5_b.jpg

Epicaricacy
21-07-2012, 10:32pm
I use the br 7, and have found it to be extremely secure. I don't have the slightest worry it will come loose, it really does give a sense of complete security when attached. It feels much stronger and more secure than the original straps.

The switching from camera for a tripod is a pain... I haven't investigated the purchase of the extra widget that can be used yet.

fishographer
21-07-2012, 10:40pm
Thats precisely why I went for the Carryspeed instead of the BR.....the Carryspeed plate screws to the bottom of the camera body into the tripod mount hole very tightly and there are numerous extra threaded holes for any tripod mount plate to screw onto the outside of that....no need to purchase any extras.

I got the CS Pro Camera Sling System for $59(+ postage) and comes with the extra hand strap and uni strap....the uni strap can be used as a secondary attachment that will screw into one of the other holes on the mounting plate or into a tripod mount on a larger lens and clips onto the upper part of the shoulder strap to give extra security.

The Carryspeed also seems to have a better angle of attachment so it sits more snug on my side and doesnt have any swinging metal parts to scratch my camera or lens.

Schy
22-07-2012, 1:37am
Thanks for your input guys!

@MissionMan - thank you for posting the photos! Exactly what i had in mind but slightly different. :D

Also, i didnt know that the BR straps are $100! Haha! Might meed to wait a week or two for me to get it.. :D

@fishographer - how do you find the carryspeed brand? No hassles?

strictfunctor
22-07-2012, 9:43am
I haven't had this long, but it seems to work very well.

It's a plate that is compatible with Manfrotto RC2 and Arca Swiss, with an
extra extension that lets me mount the BR lug. Solves the tripod + strap
problem quite nicely.

fishographer
22-07-2012, 12:02pm
Schy, no problems whatsoever, couldn't find a seller in Aus though so just ordered it direct from their website, took about a week to make it all the way to Tassie :)

So far it's been great, used it on a few bush walks in the wet even, haven't had a reason to use the extra safety strap yet but have used the hand strap a bit and find it quite handy(excuse the pun)

Schy
22-07-2012, 1:33pm
Schy, no problems whatsoever, couldn't find a seller in Aus though so just ordered it direct from their website, took about a week to make it all the way to Tassie :)

So far it's been great, used it on a few bush walks in the wet even, haven't had a reason to use the extra safety strap yet but have used the hand strap a bit and find it quite handy(excuse the pun)

Was it $60 or something? ooohhhh.. Im so tempted now..

MissionMan
22-07-2012, 1:47pm

Don't be tempted by the dark side. Save and get a black rapid. Cheap pricing leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side.

WhoDo
22-07-2012, 1:50pm
Thats precisely why I went for the Carryspeed instead of the BR.....the Carryspeed plate screws to the bottom of the camera body into the tripod mount hole very tightly and there are numerous extra threaded holes for any tripod mount plate to screw onto the outside of that....no need to purchase any extras.
It seems that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for the CS product, Fisho. Does this look familiar or have CS already upgraded their product from this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1023&message=40832355&changemode=1

MissionMan
22-07-2012, 2:02pm
It seems that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for the CS product, Fisho. Does this look familiar or have CS already upgraded their product from this?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1023&message=40832355&changemode=1

One important point that comes to light out of this is about the cost of the equipment. I.e. why buy a $3000 camera and then skimp on the strap you buy because of $40.

Whilst we can't verify what the author of this thread spent on his camera, it does make a valid point. If I was using a $1000 camera with a cheapish lens, I probably wouldn't be too bothered about what strap I purchased, just like many who buy lower end digital cameras probably wouldn't be bothered about their choice in tripod. I.e. why would you spend $1000 on a camera and then $1000 on a tripod. If the author of this thread has a fairly expensive rig, I'd be inclined to overlook cost as a factor and focus on functionality, irrespective of which product provides that.

anon
22-07-2012, 2:45pm
Given the pictures on the Carryspeed site, it looks like they have redesigned the plate,
(C-3 suggests they are onto their third generation and the pictures of the plate look quite different)
Does this fix the issue, I have no idea... A list of bodies the plate has been tested with woud be really nice.

I was not particularly impressed by the initial reply by Carryspeed in the link in WhoDo's post, but I'd suggest reading
further as someone higher up steps in and tries to resolve the issue...

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Carry Speed CS-Pro System.
The ability to mount a tripod plate is important to me,
and I prefer the look of the CS connecter over the BR...

So far I have not seen any suggestions that it is any more likely to drop my gear than the Black Rapid equivilent, apart than because it is cheaper, and while I think it is worth paying for quality, I also think that some products are over-priced simply due to their name, the trick is knowing when you're paying extra for quality or just for a name...

Regards,
Anon.

Schy
22-07-2012, 3:34pm
My equipment will soon e quite expensive. (waiting for delivery)

While i agree with you MissionMan, I would gladly disregard the cost for known quality. Believe me, i've read tons of reviews between the two, while generally Black rapid is more well known hence more reviews, biggest rant of users are when they wanted to mount on a tripod but that issue is fixed now.

Carryspeed, i guess the 'new player' for sling type straps, has had issues as well but they've been re-designing their products and have now produced the 'proper' product.

I just couldn't believe that the black rapid costs $100 as the carryspeed is around $60..

Now i think after tons of reading and thinking and deciding, im leaning towards the Black Rapid. Just need to convince myself to spend $100 on the strap and then a little more as i will most likely be setting up a 'back up' rig..

Guess should just stop writing this and should be clicking that 'add to cart', 'checkout', 'confirm' buttons.. Haha!

MissionMan
22-07-2012, 3:45pm
My equipment will soon e quite expensive. (waiting for delivery)

While i agree with you MissionMan, I would gladly disregard the cost for known quality. Believe me, i've read tons of reviews between the two, while generally Black rapid is more well known hence more reviews, biggest rant of users are when they wanted to mount on a tripod but that issue is fixed now.

Carryspeed, i guess the 'new player' for sling type straps, has had issues as well but they've been re-designing their products and have now produced the 'proper' product.

I just couldn't believe that the black rapid costs $100 as the carryspeed is around $60..

Now i think after tons of reading and thinking and deciding, im leaning towards the Black Rapid. Just need to convince myself to spend $100 on the strap and then a little more as i will most likely be setting up a 'back up' rig..

Guess should just stop writing this and should be clicking that 'add to cart', 'checkout', 'confirm' buttons.. Haha!

Actually I agree with your approach. No point in rushing into purchases and then find out you're making the same mistake as someone else.

I also don't believe the tripod issue is fixed. As an example, the FastenR-T1 only works for Manfrotto plates, if you want to get a Arca Swiss Tripod solution, you'll have to do something similar to what I did although the cost isn't that high, you can pick up arca swiss clamp for about $30.

fishographer
22-07-2012, 4:06pm
One important point that comes to light out of this is about the cost of the equipment. I.e. why buy a $3000 camera and then skimp on the strap you buy because of $40.

Both brands sell for almost identical prices in the US, both seem to use quality components in their products its more the design that differs.

The plate pictured in that forum is a completely different plate to what I have(mine is the same as pictured below), the new plates look a lot more solid than that, more mounting holes for tripod plates and a stronger looking screw that holds it on.....I like the offset mount as it allows the camera to nestle on the side of your body a lot better.

**REMOVED PHOTO : Do not post photos onto Ausphotography that you do not own copyright to **

I had a long look at the BR and almost purchased, played with one in my local shop but I just dont like the look of the small swivel clip, I have delt with this type of thing before, admittedly under extreme conditions, have seen them fail, its a lot on a very small pressed in swivel mount that after a lot of use may well fatigue.....mild steel spinning on mild steel has a tendency to wear(I dont think they are high grade stainless....but I could be wrong)

**REMOVED PHOTO : Do not post photos onto Ausphotography that you do not own copyright to **

The CS ball mount seems to be much much more solid and once screwed up will not come apart, it also doesnt swing around and clunk and scratch on the camera body, I am not sure if thats a big issue for anyone at the end of the day but not one I wanted to find out the hard way.

Not saying the BR is a bad product, by all accounts its very good and is used extensively but for me after looking closely at both I found the CS offered a few improved features and so far has been faultless.....about the only thing I could pick on would be that the BR has a nice ability to add some little storage pouches for phone, memory cards ect that the CS doesnt......but my pants always have pockets so its not that bog a deal:D

Yes mate, CS Pro System(includes hand strap & uni strap)is $60US plus postage and the BR RS-7 is $59US ($85AUS), not sure if any of the site sponsors sell them but would be worth a look, when I purchased I couldnt find a Aus seller for CS (always prefer to keep my money in the country if possible).....hope its ok to discuss prices and product brands here, I know it can be an issue on other forums especially when site sponsors are involved......happy to edit if needed:cool:

Kym
22-07-2012, 4:15pm
Which strap has the best IQ and which one has the best ISO low noise ISO performance?

:Doh:

ricktas
22-07-2012, 4:18pm
Lots of comments in this thread from members with less than 30 days membership and/or 50 posts. I suggest you all read the site rules, in particular:

Members with Under 30 day’s membership and/or 50 posts:

[3] Are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography. New members are also not allowed to seek/advertise employment (either paid or unpaid) anywhere on the site.

I will be removing posts if new members continue to promote or complain in this thread.

fishographer
22-07-2012, 4:22pm
Which strap has the best IQ and which one has the best ISO low noise ISO performance?

:Doh:

he he he......ok, so its a boring sunday afternoon and I am stuck on the couch, could be worse....:D

anon
22-07-2012, 4:29pm
Thanks fishographer for the info, pictures and reviews, Its made my decision a lot easier.

Kym, *grin* looking at the pics supplied by fishographer the IQ and ISO low noise ISO performance of the CS and BR strap pictures seem identical, but the CS has a pixel count of 667,000 (1000x667) vs the BR's pixel count of 640,000 (800x800) so I think I'd have to go with the CS pic - I mean, clearly pixel count on your strap is everything ;p (tho perhaps we should wait for Mega-pixel straps)

Regards
Anon

fishographer
22-07-2012, 4:33pm
no probs.....sorry too Rick for posting up those images, got a little wrapped up in the post and forgot about the rules....removed another one myself.

cheers

MissionMan
22-07-2012, 4:39pm
Thanks fishographer for the info, pictures and reviews, Its made my decision a lot easier.

Kym, *grin* looking at the pics supplied by fishographer the IQ and ISO low noise ISO performance of the CS and BR strap pictures seem identical, but the CS has a pixel count of 667,000 (1000x667) vs the BR's pixel count of 640,000 (800x800) so I think I'd have to go with the CS pic - I mean, clearly pixel count on your strap is everything ;p (tho perhaps we should wait for Mega-pixel straps)

Regards
Anon

Pixel count on the strap has a bigger impact than you think because it lowers the noise. Although the CS and BR might have the same amount of noise, you could downsize the CS and get a reduction in noise. :D

On the converse, all the people with BR straps seem to frame their pictures better, so its clear that having a BR allows you to frame better shots. The BR photos also have people with bigger and more expensive lenses so thats likely to mean by acquiring a BR, you'll be able to afford better gear or maybe it improves your chances of winning the lotto.

I should be in sales, I can build a justification for anything.

fishographer
22-07-2012, 4:52pm

or a politician.....:D

Lance B
22-07-2012, 5:08pm
Buy a Sun Sniper instead or a Boss Strap. I use both and they are excellent.

hectic3
26-07-2012, 9:03pm
Really informative thread. Special thanks to MissionMan, I might just do what you did.

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

MissionMan
26-07-2012, 9:13pm
Really informative thread. Special thanks to MissionMan, I might just do what you did.

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

I'd love to claim I thought of the idea but its a combination of a couple of people's ideas. Can't remember where I saw the arca swiss clamp idea, but that someone else had already done. The climbing loop was my own idea, but it was a variation of someone else's suggestion about a steel wire connection that just seemed too much effort.

hectic3
26-07-2012, 9:19pm
The Climbing loop is quite elegant really. Easy clip on for a secondary life line and doesn't look half bad either.

Now to source what I need :)

anon
28-07-2012, 1:21am
Pixel count on the strap has a bigger impact than you think because it lowers the noise. Although the CS and BR might have the same amount of noise, you could downsize the CS and get a reduction in noise. :D

On the converse, all the people with BR straps seem to frame their pictures better, so its clear that having a BR allows you to frame better shots. The BR photos also have people with bigger and more expensive lenses so thats likely to mean by acquiring a BR, you'll be able to afford better gear or maybe it improves your chances of winning the lotto.

Between your points about noise reduction :D
And fishographers very helpful information about the Carryspeed,
I've caved in and ordered a Carryspeed, so yes you should be in sales :)

(Also I'm concerned that if I got the Black Rapid and didn't win lotto I'd need to spend a lot on more glass)

I should have the Carryspeed within about a week, so I'll be able to put up some pics and my impressions if anyone is interested...

Regards,
Anon.

Schy
28-07-2012, 1:37am
That will be good Anon, as my next purchase would be a sling strap! :D

anon
02-08-2012, 8:53pm
Well the CS Pro has arrived,

And I've taken some photos, and am thinking of putting together a review...
There were quite a few things that initially I disliked, thinking, why did they do something like that,
but with a bit of thought I could see why.

Oh and I also bought a Black Rapid Pro Pin, and can confirm it fits the CS Pro socket... so it does look like you can mix and match to at-least some degree between the two systems...

Regards,
Anon

Schy
03-08-2012, 1:03am
Thanks for the update Anon! Would love to see your review! :)

anon
05-08-2012, 2:55am
I've finally done my review of the CS-Pro, it's here...

CS-Pro Review (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?108701-Carry-Speed-CS-Pro-Camera-Sling-System-review-by-Anon)

Hopefully it's useful.

Regards,
Anon