PDA

View Full Version : 5D Mark III Current Prices

Starvin Marvin
02-07-2012, 11:50pm
So I am was planning to upgrade my camera towards the end of the year and I have decided on the 5D Mark III. However, I just checked out a very popular website ;) (site sponsor) and I see the price is already under the $3000 for the body!!! Does anyone know why the retail price as dropped so quickly and by so much?? From what I read post launch, there would not be a significant price drop for some time. Thoughts??

etherial
03-07-2012, 12:53am
I've just ordered mine for $3025 and obviously had been watching them closely. They seem to be dropping in line with the recent gains in the AUD. Remember that these prices are grey market or direct import and don't carry Canon Australia warranty. There is also a chance that during import they will attract GST as they are over $1000 and there are significant fines for getting caught avoiding this.

Australian stock it seems is $3400 or more, and mainstream retail stores are still at $3999. I think the price drop we've been noticing is nothing out of the ordinary.

flashc
03-07-2012, 1:17am
Hi...

I've been watching for a good Canon 5d III deal since the release. When I saw Canon USA's own shop list price was around US$3500.00 (today US$3499) and AU price was $4000.00, I was tempted to bring one in from the USA. The $400 savings could go towards a new 16-35 f2.8.

I see todays price from the online supplier I use is A$3015 and $1173 for a 7D. Bought my 7D here 2 years ago, dropped it at least 4 times, 2 seriously and have had no need for any warranty repairs yet.

I've been waiting to see what Canon will do to upgrade the 7D (fullframe I hoped but a major firmware release has just been announced, so who knows what that means for the 7D)

I see at least 6 other online stores selling the mk III for around A$3000.00. Do we really need an Australian warranty for a well built camera.

ricktas
03-07-2012, 7:09am
Another reason. Competition! The Nikon D800 comes it at just over $3K, so Canon have probably shifted their price point to undercut Nikon to help them get/retain sales. Nothing like a better spec'd item from a competitor in any market, at a great price, to see others dropping their prices to remain competitive.

Bennymiata
03-07-2012, 10:23am
Myer has them for $3529.00, and they are from the latest shipment with the light-leak issue all fixed up.
Full Aussie warranty.
DCW still has them for $3999.

As the model is still so new, I bought a local import rather than grey, but when they've been out for 6-9 months, after all the bugs have been ironed out, I think that buying grey should be OK.

I'm really enjoying my 5D3.

Starvin Marvin
04-07-2012, 5:27pm
When you start taking all those things into consideration it makes a lot of sense. If it stay as $2961 (or cheaper) on eglobal i will be picking one up very soon!

etherial
04-07-2012, 5:42pm
Mine has just arrived! :efelant:

selaw
10-07-2012, 8:46pm
Congrats etherial :th3: Got mine a little while ago while the price was slightly more inflated and haven't looked back. IMO if you've got the dosh to buy at current price, just buy it, enjoy it & get on with making it work for you. Can't take photos with a camera you haven't got yet.

fess67
10-07-2012, 8:57pm
Congrats etherial :th3: Got mine a little while ago while the price was slightly more inflated and haven't looked back. IMO if you've got the dosh to buy at current price, just buy it, enjoy it & get on with making it work for you. Can't take photos with a camera you haven't got yet.

I cannot agree with this sentiment more. Buy it and enjoy it - screw the cost, you are happy with the product :) I bought a car for my 40th....one of those cars :D A fwe months later it dropped in price. Hell I was still happy as could be that I had one - who cares the price dropped.

etherial
10-07-2012, 9:07pm
Enjoy it I am!!! I took my first shots in anger with it on Saturday and I am SO HAPPY with the results! It has exceeded my expectations. I'm now an even happier little tog! :D

(now to edit all the photos!)

Redfox
16-07-2012, 3:34am
I've been pricing the 5D Mk III camera as well, Looks like grey import's are just under $3k while I can get a local 5D Mk III with a little negotiating for $3,500 so far. Will be travelling to another shop in the morning to see if I can get it lower. In the end I will buy local if I can get it for a few hundred more than grey import price, simply to have local store backup and official canon warranty if needed, but I don't think will be paying $500 more for this privilege.

I also wonder if anyone is actually paying the local advertised price of $3,999 without trying to get it lower :-)

flashc
16-07-2012, 3:49am
Local Camera shop says they don't do discounts from $3999.00. I often wonder what the markup is on camera gear. Would Canon au actually sell it to them for $3300.00 + 20 % markup = $3960.00.

Sells from Canon USA online for rrp $3500.00. How much is bulk freight from Canon Japan wholesale to Australia in a container. Reduce the local price, sell more.