PDA

View Full Version : Photo Finish : Episode Two : Landscapes on Mt Wellington

ricktas
22-06-2012, 10:54am
As per the main discussion thread on this TV show, which photo from last night do you think should have won.

If you have not seen the Episode, it can be viewed over the internet : HERE (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/22887)

Ms Monny
22-06-2012, 11:20am
Can there be a button for none? I know that sounds harsh but I looooved Peter's shot of the tree (wide angle looking from base up to the top). Why oh why didn't he chose that shot?? I presume that would have looked more like the area and something a bit different to a stock-standard waterfall!!!

ricktas
22-06-2012, 11:24am
Can there be a button for none? I know that sounds harsh

Done!

norwest
22-06-2012, 11:30am
I liked his composition of the tree but it looked like the top half of the frame was badly blown. I didn't fancy his waterfall at all with motion blur on much of the surrounding foliage and blown top of frame. I thought the younger women had a good eye for detail and the other a better sense of capturing a landscape scene.

rafikicat
22-06-2012, 3:10pm
Having been on Mt. Wellington on a cold bleak day - Marg.'s shot brought it all back. Peter's shot was very pretty, but could have been anywhere, and Annabel's although a lovely shot, could hardly be called a landscape.

One Click
22-06-2012, 3:32pm
Having been on Mt. Wellington on a cold bleak day - Marg.'s shot brought it all back. Peter's shot was very pretty, but could have been anywhere, and Annabel's although a lovely shot, could hardly be called a landscape.
Dito:action66:

Lantern
22-06-2012, 3:42pm
I was cringing with Marg's comments.
"Ive never used a dslr before, I wish I had my iPhone." The best camera is the one with you.
BUT she came up with the goods. Imagine what level of photos she could produce with her eye for a scene AND some practice on a dslr. I'm impressed.

Daniel

Old Skool
22-06-2012, 3:54pm
Did you note Marg was just shooting 1 handed as well??

Bear Dale
22-06-2012, 4:31pm
Thanks for the poll Rick.

My vote was for Marge.

TOM
22-06-2012, 7:16pm
I was hoping for something a bit more creative from Peter, his portfolio was terrific. He was out of his comfort zone, but his final photo was the very thing he said he didn't want to create; a postcard shot.

kleinpark
22-06-2012, 8:03pm
I voted for Margy's photo, as it was the only one that filled their brief of a "landscape".

I think this show is all about taking people out of their comfort zone and seeing who has that adapability combined with creativity to create something special. I'd love to see what settings etc were used too, as a relative newbie to DSLR's and Photoshop :eek:, it could be quite informative.
Next weeks challenge of a wedding shoot will be worth watching I think.
I have to say I'm enjpying the show :D

Xebadir
25-06-2012, 1:40pm
Personally I think the shot by Marg was well...pretty average - it certainly to me didn't look like the adjectives used to describe it. Maybe its the way the episode rendered on computer, but it goes to show that judges will have their own conception of what a 'landscape' photo is (and funnily enough the award winning landscape photographer also happened to do a fair bit of the more detailed 'landscape shot' in her portfolio shown). Was disappointed by the blokes focus on the waterfall as I thought he had some reasonable potential to produce something nice. I was most impressed by the icy follage shot. To me landscape is a genre - not a type of shot...and while small scale, her shot conveyed the landscape the best to me. Sometimes in our efforts to get wide and show more in a landscape, we forget that the landscape is made by many details. In her case - she has shown the ice, the cold but still that there was life beneath - thats a landscape in my view, no matter how small the field viewed. I know that differs from alot of people here, but perhaps its just how I view this form of photography.

Geoff79
26-06-2012, 9:50pm
I liked Marg's shot best but I really got the impression it was a fluke more than brilliant photography. Either that, or it was played with in the aftermath a little bit?

As noted above, I'd love to see the details of each shot too. I think that'd be really good and help the show out.

The waterfall shot was average but okay, I guess. Much better than the awful shots Annabel was taking of her waterfall early on. I did not like those at all. I liked the shot she chose in the end, but have to admit I also wasn't too sure if that's what I call a landscape shot.

Cool poll and enjoyable show.