PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Photo of the Week "PHOTO MANIPULATION" : Getting a better entry

ricktas
17-06-2012, 2:19pm
With our Genre themed Photo of the Week Competition series underway, we want to also help those with less experience in photographing this genre.

Therefore this thread is for members to post tips and advice for firstly getting the right photo and applying processing to fit the PHOTO MANIPULATION category.

Members are welcome to post any hint or tip that will assist other members, or ask specific questions about photographing this Genre.

Please note, do not give provide any information about your entry. These competitions are anonymous and any post that gives away details of the member's entry, could see your entry disqualified.

The PHOTO MANIPULATION competitions open for entry tonight (17th June 2012).

William
18-06-2012, 11:40am
Hi Rick, I've been waiting for someone to reply , I must be having an old persons moment , I dont understand this quote Re this weeks comp : "tips and advice for photographing animals that fit the PHOTO MANIPULATION"
category

Are we talking Digital manipulation on animals ? Or is it just Digital/Photo manipulation of anything , Combining images and texture layers and all that type of thing :o

I @ M
18-06-2012, 11:42am
Ooops, will fix. :o

William
18-06-2012, 12:01pm
Thanks Andrew for the clarification on that ;)

HelenClaire
18-06-2012, 1:09pm
Ok glad there is clarification on this weeks comp. I had been wracking my brains thinking of subjects that involved manipulation but had wondered in the deep recesses of my mind if it actually meant photo manipulation instead. So now my next query is what is allowed? I am learning Lightroom 4 at the moment so this might be a good way to experiment. So what are the boundaries ie how far can we take it?

William
18-06-2012, 2:23pm
Hi Helen, Photo manipulation means anything is allowed, EG, Combining images , Adding elements and textures etc, The only thing that I would keep in mind , Is all images used must be your own , I'm not a mod but that is part of AP site rules/Copyright

I @ M
18-06-2012, 4:57pm
William is correct Helen, any amount of processing / manipulation is allowed and the comp is designed to have people show the best that they can do with software on their own images.

William
20-06-2012, 10:47am
Check out this Video on Photo Manipulation, Might help someone with a lot of time for this weeks comp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZsnTcRRuA&feature=relmfu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZsnTcRRuA&feature=relmfu) :lol2:

Ms Monny
20-06-2012, 11:36am
O. M. G. !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was *beep beep* amazing!!!

Mind you, that is exactly the sort of thing I was going to enter into the comp....but I thought I had better not, as I didn't want to shame everyone else!! :D

William
20-06-2012, 11:41am
@ MM's Comment , Thats exactly what I thought , But you said it better :lol: I dont know how he remembers what layer is which to work on :eek: Pretty amazing work !!

Ms Monny
20-06-2012, 12:12pm
Not wrong!

Heres a question.....are we allowed to use textures that are not our own, in the image for the comp? I use free textures which to me are an enhancement to my images, and are not the main part of the image. Are these allowed?

ricktas
20-06-2012, 12:29pm
O. M. G. !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was *beep beep* amazing!!!

Mind you, that is exactly the sort of thing I was going to enter into the comp....but I thought I had better not, as I didn't want to shame everyone else!! :D

Be careful, boasting might end up with you being upgraded to Advanced :lol:

ricktas
20-06-2012, 12:30pm
Not wrong!

Heres a question.....are we allowed to use textures that are not our own, in the image for the comp? I use free textures which to me are an enhancement to my images, and are not the main part of the image. Are these allowed?

If it is a free 'open source' texture, you can use it, as long as it is not the main feature of the photo. So if I looked at it and went 'wow, the texture makes this' then NO!

Ms Monny
20-06-2012, 12:49pm
Be careful, boasting might end up with you being upgraded to Advanced :lol:

:lol2: Wouldn't want that to happen!

Yep, textures are free from an 'open source'.....but I think I might have fun making my own! :D

SirLozalot
20-06-2012, 12:56pm
I just watched the 'Photoshop Speed Art' you tube clip and don't know what to say. Amazing! Thanks for link William.

William
20-06-2012, 1:08pm
I watched it again and he got to 71 layers !!!:eek: Must have a good Pooter :crike:

Duane Pipe
20-06-2012, 2:49pm
71 layers I dont think we could compress that enough could we? Great clip bill.