PDA

View Full Version : Kookie and Spider

Darey
17-06-2012, 12:23am
On Thursday I had to go to Manly Vale so I decided to take my camera and pay a visit to Manly Dam to get some bird shots while I was there.

I was standing on a footpath just on the edge of a native Garden which had been covered with Bark mulch taking a couple of shots when suddenly "Whoosh" a kookaburra hit the ground beside my feet, took off and landed again about 20 feet away from me. I grabbed a quick shot (please excuse the quality) of the Kookie because he had something in his mouth and merrily went on my way.

When I got home I loaded my shots on my computer and got one hell of a shock :eek: when I looked at the Kookie shot and saw what was in his beak.

" THANK GOD FOR KOOKIES"

For those that don't live on the East Coast in NSW the Kookie got a deadly Funnel Web Spider which could easily have bitten me.

Kookie with his lunch

NikonNellie
17-06-2012, 12:31am
Close call Greg - as you say thank goodness for our Kookies. Glad that we still have you around for our meets. :eek:

Ms Monny
17-06-2012, 1:04am
Whoa! Your Kookie in shining armour!

Cargo
17-06-2012, 11:01am
Your Guardian Kookie :D and a lucky day for you
I grew up on Sydneys north side with funnel webs aplenty,
We used to fish them out of the swimming pool and store them in jars on top of the fridge to be shipped off to Macquairie Uni for milking to make anti venom ....
Very scary spider :eek:
Cargo

Darey
17-06-2012, 6:30pm
Narelle,
Thanks and we must get together for a shoot soon.

Ms Monny,
I have always liked Kookies, now I like them even more.

Cargo,
I live in Davidson (just behind Frenchs Forest) and we average about 2 Funnel Webs in our pool skimmer box each year. :eek: I will never get used to having them around. :)

NikonNellie
17-06-2012, 6:49pm
I'm on holidays for three weeks Greg starting Monday, 25 June so maybe we can catch up sometime then. :)

Cargo
18-06-2012, 1:23pm
Hey Greg,
I grew up in North Epping just across the valley from you, as kids we used play in the bush and sometimes walk over to Frenchs Forest and St Ives .....
Its been "30 yrs" :eek::eek: since I've been round that area .... Must be pretty different now, though still beautiful I hope even with those awesome spiders :crike:
Cargo

Darey
18-06-2012, 10:17pm
Cargo,
I still walk down to the Cascades quite often chasing water flow and bird shots. The area is still beautiful but I keep an eye out for spiders and snakes all the time I'm in the bush.