PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam

AussieBrent
16-06-2012, 10:22am
Hi Guys,

Seeing flights are so cheap to Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City i have decided to seriously look at flying across next year March / April. (Seems to be a good time Weather wise)

My boss has come back from there and said it was fantastic and very cheap.

Would you guys recommend this a good place to go? also anyone have any photos they would like to share?

It would basically just be me traveling alone so I would really like to get the local experience and spend time with the locals to experience their culture as much as I can.

I can't search the forum at present so I couldn't look up Vietnam posts

Cheers

old dog
16-06-2012, 11:11am
Been there and enjoyed it very much. Liked Hanoi more than Saigon though. If you can, go up into the highlands...Sapa for instance. I`d love to go back there as it was terrific. You can catch an overnight train from Hanoi that takes you almost there and then bus it. Well worth it. If you have the time, go up into Cambodia as it`s fascinating as well.

JM Tran
16-06-2012, 2:47pm
Being an extensive traveler around the world, and born in Saigon too. I would say without a doubt a big YES.

Currently Vietnam is the new IT for world travelers, from grungy backpackers to flashpackers to high end luxury tourists wanting to spent over 5 figures per holiday. I would say to go ASAP before Vietnam becomes too touristy and commercialized like Thailand - where its fair share of all walks of life from around the world has put off a lot of people - myself included.

You can fit in a whole country tour in 2-3 weeks at most major and minor tourist destinations, and maybe some off the beaten track places. As mentioned above, you can also fit in Cambodia particular Siem Reap, for the Angkor ruins as well for a few days for cheap. Bus 1 way from Saigon to Siem Reap 16 hours is about $20USD with another $20USD for Cambodian visa at the border. I have done this route 3 times now, and will be 4th time end of the year - its a great way to see the countryside and meet locals. Alternatively you can just fly in with Vietnam Airlines which takes less than an hour and around $200USD average 1 way.