PDA

View Full Version : Sea Eagle with a snack

Cargo
15-06-2012, 8:30am
Caught this guy out of the corner of my eye and was able to pin point his position otherwise would never have seen him, so raced inside to grab the camera .... and surprise surprise there he was with lunch.
As you can see he was along way off and up in the blowing branches ..... Any way this was best I could do with my lens, a Nikkor 55-300mm, but a moment in nature I'm happy to of captured.
Cheers Cargo

Orignal

Cropped

Feg
15-06-2012, 9:23am
Great.I think it has caught a Bandicoot looking at the feet and tail.

tanz
15-06-2012, 9:39am
Well done on spotting him amongst all those branches, a great photo to have :th3:

Cargo
15-06-2012, 9:46am
Thanks Guys ... Definitely a Bandicoot something there is plenty of round here :)

Allie
15-06-2012, 1:10pm
Great.I think it has caught a Bandicoot looking at the feet and tail.

Great id, I was hoping it was Rattus rattus but unfortunately I was wrong!

Well captured, Cargo, amongst the foliage especially with prey - probably why he waited until you got your camera. :th3: I think it is a male as the legs do not have the legging feathers I would expect on a female.

Mary Anne
15-06-2012, 2:34pm
A great capture, good on you for spotting it :wd:

martycon
22-07-2012, 6:24pm
Great definition in cropshot I would lik a lens like that.

sasquatch
24-07-2012, 2:18am
I'm currently in the US, living right on the beach, upper east coast. Your bandicoot looks very much like our common seagull, except for the beak shape. The bandicoot appears to be more predatory with that hooked beak. The seagull has a longer, flatter beak. We're trying to get things together to move to Australia so I'm hoping to be taking shots like yours within the next two years.

ricktas
24-07-2012, 7:07am
Good work. Pity about the mottled light through the three, but well done on capturing a bird of prey doing what they do.

I'm currently in the US, living right on the beach, upper east coast. Your bandicoot looks very much like our common seagull, except for the beak shape. The bandicoot appears to be more predatory with that hooked beak. The seagull has a longer, flatter beak. We're trying to get things together to move to Australia so I'm hoping to be taking shots like yours within the next two years.

Actually our sea eagle (the bird) is several times larger than the common seagull (silver gull), and the bandicoot (the animal in its claws) is probably more equal in size to the seagull.