View Full Version : Aipp canon awards 2012

Kerrie
31-05-2012, 7:58pm
2012 Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photography Awards.......I was amazed at what won the landscape category.....a deserved winner, but not what I expected from a landscape category.

http://www.appa.aippblog.com/?page_id=2599

ricktas
31-05-2012, 8:05pm
Interesting. I have seen this trend toward more digital manipulation, in other AIPP awards (State level) and must admit that personally I am not that enthused by it.

Dylan & Marianne
31-05-2012, 8:16pm
OK, I'm just going to put it out there with 100% honesty.........I'm amazed......and not in a good way
but then, that's just beccause I don't produce/like to produce/envisage producing images like that :P
it would be good if the judges gave some kind of indication that texturisation is what they're looking for- that seems to be 'in' thing

Mark L
31-05-2012, 8:43pm
Fine Art Category seems more appropriate to landscape than the landscape category! :confused013

ricktas
31-05-2012, 9:57pm
Other than science, environment and nature, there also seems to be a predilection to muted palettes with vibrancy dulled down. I suppose it was only a few years ago that selective colour was the flavour of the day, and now that is almost frowned upon as being to cliched. No doubt we will see people emulating this 'new' standard, till the world moves onto the next deigned 'processing methodology' that is the 'in' thing. Not a single bit of colour to be seen in a landscape winner.

I find the way everyone copies each other, based on the latest 'trends' to be really quite boring!

Dylan & Marianne
31-05-2012, 10:07pm
so true rick - it's good to know how to do all of those types of images but the skill is selecting when it's appropriate and for me, I still see 90%+ of my landscapes in colour and vibrance!

JM Tran
31-05-2012, 10:14pm
Forgot to enter this year, but then again - the same trends from last 2 years still prevails. A lot of texture and desaturated photos - predictable:)

Seabee
31-05-2012, 10:21pm
I would hazard a guess and say that if you were a judge in the 2011 eos 5 comp and the prizes were a trip to your facilities in nz and tutorage by said canon ambassador photographer Jackie ranken then it holds no surprise to me that she would be a winner in 'a' category of canon comps!

I do like her stuff by the way but can certainly understand the general concensus in here!

Kerrie
01-06-2012, 3:02pm
By amazed I meant they weren't what I would class a landscape. Not by far. If I sent someone out to bring back back a beautiful landscape photo and I got them.....I'd be disappointed.

If I sent them out to get some art work , well maybe they'd be getting closer.

But hey, I'm a Pentaxian :D What do I know :efelant:

MrBling
01-06-2012, 4:32pm
For various reasons I didn't get to see a lot of the prints until the award dinner, certainly had a few "###???" moments at our table.